Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xenon headlight adjustment.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 07:43 PM
Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Xenon headlight adjustment.

Hello all-

Still new here and I have been reading posts here for hours.

Here's the situation- the headlights on the vehicle do not self adjust. I read the entire Brutal thread about the screw and proceeded out to the car with my drill and two screws only to find that someone had already gone down that road.

Does this mean my adjusters are broken or are the adjusters and the self leveling functions two different issues?

Thanks.

Old 11-04-2019, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 641 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Catfan01
Hello all-

Here's the situation- the headlights on the vehicle do not self adjust. I read the entire Brutal thread about the screw and proceeded out to the car with my drill and two screws only to find that someone had already gone down that road.

Does this mean my adjusters are broken or are the adjusters and the self leveling functions two different issues?

Thanks.
Self leveling is separate....the initial headlight adjusting is done via the knobs or brutals screw method when internals have failed...leveling is controlled by a module and responds to height sensors on the car...

Old 11-04-2019, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by scottjh9
Self leveling is separate....the initial headlight adjusting is done via the knobs or brutals screw method when internals have failed...leveling is controlled by a module and responds to height sensors on the car...

Thanks for the quick response!

Is there a reset procedure for the leveling function? I've searched a bit but can't seem to find anything. There is a sticky with the wiring diagrams but the manufacturers diag procedure has eluded me.

Thanks again.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the quick response!

Is there a reset procedure for the leveling function? I've searched a bit but can't seem to find anything. There is a sticky with the wiring diagrams but the manufacturers diag procedure has eluded me.

Thanks again.
The reset or calibration is done using sdd ids...if you have a scanner like the icarsoft 930 you can access the module and read the data....these cars are set pretty much level and the data should reflect that....using sdd the process is the same as 20 yrs ago....you use the calibration diagnostic and bounce both front and rear of car.....sdd has to be used to put the module in cal mode...there are 2 ride height sensors, one front and one rear....they are attached to the lower control arm and have swivel links with ball joints....easy to see with the wheel off or car raised...make sure yours are not broken....there are also light sensors up front that react to oncoming headlights that cause the headlight on your vehicle to move so as to not to blind others.....this is because the car sits so low i believe.....when all works correctly the headlights remain at the proper angle no matter what the vehicle angle is, up to a certain degree where they would max out....i have the screw in mine and it works well, you just have to do trial and error on the street a little at a time....dark country road works best if available

Last edited by scottjh9; 11-04-2019 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Addition
The following users liked this post:
Aarcuda (11-04-2019)
Old 11-04-2019, 11:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 489 Likes on 374 Posts

I have SDD. So in the headlight adjustment option I dont remember having to bounce the car. It just did some up and down motions.

Old 11-05-2019, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Aarcuda
I have SDD. So in the headlight adjustment option I dont remember having to bounce the car. It just did some up and down motions.
Yeah you are right, i think the bounce was for the cats suspension calibration

Aarcuda (11-08-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 10:13 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello all-

Thanks.
Adjust the aim of your headlights via the mechanical adjusters on the top of each light.
T hen switch headlights to on position and insert key and start car and you will see headlights go up and down to calibrate to your aiming/ setting of headlights , it does this every time you switch on so that it aims your headlights no matter how the car is loaded up! To the same aim that you initially set!

Catfan01 (11-07-2019)
Old 11-07-2019, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by stanboy
Adjust the aim of your headlights via the mechanical adjusters on the top of each light.
T hen switch headlights to on position and insert key and start car and you will see headlights go up and down to calibrate to your aiming/ setting of headlights , it does this every time you switch on so that it aims your headlights no matter how the car is loaded up! To the same aim that you initially set!

Thank you very much for the additional info. Greatly appreciated. Problem is my adjustment screws don't seem to do a thing. Am I correct that if they don't work I need to use the Betty Crocker method of baking these to check the adjusters?

Last edited by Catfan01; 11-07-2019 at 07:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-08-2019, 03:06 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Note Scottjh9 post#2 >>> #2 quote Self leveling is separate....the initial headlight adjusting is done via the knobs or brutals screw method when internals have failed...leveling is controlled by a module quote.
To elaborate you have to slacken
the adjusting screws off eg anti-clockwise, like undoing a screw, then turn brutal screw fix clockwise, to shove the reflector back eg raising the light beam. Vice versa to lower it.

Aarcuda (11-08-2019)
Old 11-08-2019, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 489 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by stanboy
Note Scottjh9 post#2 >>> #2 quote Self leveling is separate....the initial headlight adjusting is done via the knobs or brutals screw method when internals have failed...leveling is controlled by a module quote.
To elaborate you have to slacken
the adjusting screws off eg anti-clockwise, like undoing a screw, then turn brutal screw fix clockwise, to shove the reflector back eg raising the light beam. Vice versa to lower it.
yup! Thats what I did! Love this car!!

Old 11-08-2019, 08:47 PM

Thanks to all for the help.

It all sounds so simple until you get to the part where someone ran a 1 1/2 inch sheet rock screw into mine. I removed those. Drilled a 5mm hole and tapped for a 6mm round headed bolt.

Works like a champ!

Thanks again.

Edit.. Perhaps I should clarify. The screw was a half inch too long and all it did was penetrate the back of the anchor point. At that point..the tighter you turned it the worse it did in raising the beams.

Last edited by Catfan01; 11-08-2019 at 09:55 PM. Reason: added detail