Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

xjr vs str

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 02:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 217 Likes on 129 Posts
Default xjr vs str

I am gonna be in the market soon for a Jagaur. I want an R but I'm still stuck between which to get as far as the S type or the XJR. So was wanting to hear some opinions. Which is faster 0-60, 1/4 mile?? According to factory specs they seem the same, is this the same in the real world. Which gets better gas mileage?? Is this also the same. Which is more fun in some twisties?? I know the XJ is bigger but I hear there isnt very much difference in weight between the 2 cause of the all aluminum of the XJ. Which would you buy for the money??? All opinions welcomed. I am looking at either the 2004-05 XJR or the 05 S type R.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:08 AM
Veteran Member

Lets just say for arguements sake had the money to buy either so not worried about which one is cheaper then the other strictly talking car vs car saying they are equally priced.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts
Default Go STR

I believe you would look and feel better in the sportier STR.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

You'd probably have to spend more for an XJR than an STR of similar age and mileage. They look very different so that may be your biggest reason for choosing one over the other. I'd say the STR feeds back what the road is like more than the XJR does, due to the suspension differences. I'd also say the STR is a harder (but not especially hard) ride. MPG - who cares in an R??? (They'll be very similar.) Other threads suggest the XJR is quicker in a straight line, though it may have been the slightly different ages of the cars I suppose.

You might like to try to get an 06 STR so you get VVT.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

STR all the way,.......wait, no get a XJR so you will be slower than me

Old 05-22-2010, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts
Default STR or XJR

Riski! LOL! Why would we want fast cars like ours to compete against us? Very clever...Dude, get the XJR!

Old 05-22-2010, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

Best advise is to go drive each one yourself and see what you want out of the car.....I will be shopping for a newer CTS V to play with soon and daily drive the **** outta the STR!

Old 05-22-2010, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL! He asked about "gas mileage" of the STR. Dude, I'm not gonna lie: it ain't pretty. There's nothing quite like watching the instantaneous fuel economy meter go to "0 MPG" when you punch it on an entrance ramp. But, even stock, it will get up and go. I love my STR. It's a stock 03, and it's a great looking car. I always get tons of looks and compliments, and there aren't a whole lot of cars in circulation that I don't leave in the dust. Mmmmm... just my two cents. But if fuel economy is of moment, you might want to look elsewhere.

Old 05-22-2010, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by jagv8
You'd probably have to spend more for an XJR than an STR of similar age and mileage. They look very different so that may be your biggest reason for choosing one over the other. I'd say the STR feeds back what the road is like more than the XJR does, due to the suspension differences. I'd also say the STR is a harder (but not especially hard) ride. MPG - who cares in an R??? (They'll be very similar.) Other threads suggest the XJR is quicker in a straight line, though it may have been the slightly different ages of the cars I suppose.

You might like to try to get an 06 STR so you get VVT.
Adding to jagv8's comments: The STR will likely be more agile and easier to drive quickly due to its smaller size in addition to its stiffer suspension.

Old 05-22-2010, 05:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I have had both. Both 07's

Here is my honest opinion

The XJR is a better car overall, but not by much. Drives better. The Interior feels better made, less Ford Parts bin stuff than the STR. Both are extremely fast, the STR does feel smaller so in turn it feels way sportier in its handling. XJR doesnt feel as confident in the mountains and twisty roads but its very close. The XJR is also near silent in the cabin when driving. XJR gets better gas mileage because of its aluminum frame and weight, I could average 27-29 mph, the city mileage was the same.

so is it better?.. XJR of the same year will cost you atleast 10k more than an STR
something to think about...

both amazing cars though.

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (02-09-2019)
Old 05-22-2010, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member

I know gas mileage will be horrible was just curious what you guys average I currently have an Audi A8 which isnt to bad considering being a V8 and all wheel drive. I can still get 26 on the highway and about 20 around town watching the lead foot. I also have a Mercury Marauder with a 4.6L that is similar to whats in the Cobra Mustang but pushing 1000 more pounds and its tuned to 93 octane so used to paying for premium. But the gas mileage of the Marauder is about an average of 16-18 mpg so I'm hoping for the Jaguar to somewhere in between. I'm used to a stiff suspension cause that how the Marauder is and I like the sporty feel. According to what I found on the XJR it is actually short then the Marauder but has a longer wheelbase so it should feel better in the twisties then the Marauder. I wish both Jags were readily available for sale around here cause I would definitly test drive them both but where I live and what I have found for sale I am most likely gonna have to travel some ways to get a Jag so may not have the chance to test drive them both which is why I was wanting opinions. Anyone live near Jacksonville, NC wanna take me for a ride so I can check out their ride??? What are some of the nicer options on the STR that I should look for?? I know there is Nav but not sure what else they have. I know if I get an XJR I would like to get the Sepangs, Nav, and would like the rear multimedia package (the one thing leaning me towards the XJR, that and the fact its big like my Marauder I'll be getting rid of).

Old 05-23-2010, 12:39 AM
Veteran Member

Nav and bluetooth are the only real options for a STR......If you want comfort get the XJR, if you want comfort, handling, speed, looks, a car you can lower, and a better all around car buy a Geo Metro

Old 05-23-2010, 01:13 AM

Adaptive CC was an option for the late models.. I had it on my XJR very cool feature..

Old 05-23-2010, 02:56 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

If interior room for both driver & passengers is a consideration for you, I'd recommend the XJR, much more room for both driver and passengers.

I'd love to see a straight head to head drag race on same year stock versions.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:36 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by marc4sgr
Well I have had both. Both 07's

Here is my honest opinion

The XJR is a better car overall, but not by much. Drives better. The Interior feels better made, less Ford Parts bin stuff than the STR.
I'd like to argue that point. Please tell me what is different in the STR vs. the XJR. Since both cars are after 2003 they actually share interior parts. The only switch gear I have found to be different between the S and the XJ are the window switches. Everything else is the same. Again, leaving off the window switches, I don't know of another Ford product that uses the same interior bits as the Jags.

I personally like the XJR better than the STR. That though is just a personal opinion based on the cars look and size.

Another thing to consider is the fact that only a specialized shop can work on a aluminum unibody. (read car and driver's write up on their wrecked A8). http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...sidebar_page_3

Old 05-23-2010, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

If the same year XJR is anything like $10K more you could spend that on goodies for the STR that will make it faster than the XJR and certainly more fun. It all depends on what you want

The MPG is OK if you don't boot it.

But you WILL boot it LOL

Old 05-23-2010, 10:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vance,
I'm in Chapel Hill, which isn't exactly close, but if you're ever in the Raleigh area, I'd be happy to take you for a spin. Bring a helmet... lol

Old 05-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The main difference is looks really. One retro, one ultra modern. I own an S-type, and fancy the other. The next main difference is price. It's a big one. And in the same vein,talking of a high-power petrol Jag., you shouldn't be talking about fuel consumption.
When push comes to shove, you most likely do what we all do -- come across a real tasty motor, fall in love with it and end up with your cheque book in your hot little hand. It is, of course, a state of temporary insanity. Nice though.
Leedsman.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:17 PM

"I'd like to argue that point. Please tell me what is different in the STR vs. the XJR. Since both cars are after 2003 they actually share interior parts. The only switch gear I have found to be different between the S and the XJ are the window switches. Everything else is the same. Again, leaving off the window switches, I don't know of another Ford product that uses the same interior bits as the Jags. "

yes the window switches are the big lame Ford area.. I also seem to recall the door panels construction feeling better, better quality soft touch and more leather.. the stuff on our STRs really isn't leather on the handles and such... same goes for the center console bits.. the XJ just felt that much richer.. once again not by much.

The following users liked this post:
Panthro (02-09-2019)
Old 05-24-2010, 05:47 AM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by marc4sgr
yes the window switches are the big lame Ford area.. I also seem to recall the door panels construction feeling better, better quality soft touch and more leather.. the stuff on our STRs really isn't leather on the handles and such... same goes for the center console bits.. the XJ just felt that much richer.. once again not by much.
See, I never really had an issue with the window switches. But I also think the XJ does "feel" nicer when inside. I'm just not sure that there is difference in the materials used. I've been angry with my car lately, and it all revolves around build quality. This weekend I was looking at some crossovers that would be more practical to run errands in. I just can't seem to put myself back into a me-too mobile. Trim bits might be falling off, but my S still puts a smile on my face.

That said, if it was my choice. I'd go for the XJR.

Quick Reply: xjr vs str