S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you ready or already dealing with the "blizzard"!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 11:43 AM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Are you ready or already dealing with the "blizzard"!?

Well, its coming towards the Northeast and I think you folks in the DC area are already in the thick of things (1-2inches per hour). Are you driving your S's or just parking, making some hot coffee, starting a fire and hanging out?

I for one have about 2 hours to get to some stores to do some last minute shopping, I am going to try and beat the snow (coming late afternoon EST) but given the fact the EVERYONE and their grandmothers/grandkids/mothers/daughters/step sons/long lost relatives are out today shopping I KNOW I will get stuck in driving in this white mess coming this way. It will then turn into sledding not driving. Of course the wife's FWD Saab just broke (metal clanking coming from the engine and the serpentine belt gets burning hot and starts to smoke) so the STR is forced to be the mode of transportation today.

If by chance I can beat the storm I will be sitting by the fireplace in sweatpants, a hoodie, drinking some scotch and playing some Call of Duty MW 2 on Xbox Live while the STR is taking a beating. Furthermore, I love the fact that you cannot lift up the windshield wipers to avoid them being iced to the windshield......not

Drive safe.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Not much snow here. Maybe a half-inch last night, most of it melted when the snow turned to rain overnight, and now we're getting light snowfall again. Took the S-Type out a little while ago to pump up the tires a bit due to the cold weather. No problems. My wife is out Christmas shopping in her RX330 AWD. Again, no problems. Yes, we'll have a fire in the fireplace tonight and just stay at home with the dogs to relax....

Old 12-19-2009, 03:05 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,899 Likes on 3,203 Posts

I'm in Southern Maryland (an hour south of DC), we have about 10" right now and I have had my X-Type out in it. Handled great, even when I was goofing around and putting the car sideways. Very sure footed and did all that I could ask of it. Was I trying to go through 2 foot drifts, no (that is what the off-road truck is for), but made it through the unplowed parking lots just fine. Gotta love hearing the snow scraping across the bottom of the car.

Old 12-19-2009, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21,242 Likes on 8,556 Posts

Geee, I'm envious of you guys having a white Christmas.
It's 76* with 16% humidity here in this area of Socal..

Old 12-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

JAYT2,

Is that with the wind chill?. I'm in northern VA and we got over a foot so far. I spent over an hour digging out both cars. I went out three times to brush off the snow so it wouldn't build up too much (about 6-8"). After 3:00PM the Police started ticketing people who were driving unless it was an emergency. Running out of beer or cigarettes was not considered an emergency by the Police. We'll probably be able to move about Sunday though.

Mike

Old 12-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Veteran member
Received 194 Likes on 170 Posts

Ha, I'm looking at a dusting out there this evening in the rust belt of Ohio. (he smugly chuckles) Dodged this one...I'll be the one bitchin' in February when it snows about an inch or two every single day for a month and half...When there are roads that are permanent snow pack....

Good luck and be careful out there my Mid-Atlantic and Northeastern amigos.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default In the thick of it

Well - I'm in West Virginia, and, we got plastered last night with 9 inches here. The interstates and turnpike shut down, and, our Governor declared a state of emergency. There are about 138K folks around me without power, and, the utility says it'll be Friday before they get all of them back on. The hill I live on looked like a ski slope this morning. I haven't seen a heavy snow storm like this in over a decade here. Luckily I stocked up on enough pipe tobacco to see me through. It's still snowing a bit, and, we're supposed to get another 3" during the night. The S is safely in the garage - if I need to go out, I'll take the little SUV.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Old 12-19-2009, 11:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to dig through 20 inches of snow today. Didn't drive at all today but I did my fair share of digging. I was being the good neighbor and decided to help out my elderly neighbors on both sides of me. I'm sore and tired, but ready to do it again tomorrow but with much less snow, I hope. Thankfully the cars are mostly dug out already.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Had to dig her out of 24+ inches of snow, and you know what??? I picked her up Friday and went right to work, then came right home and didnt even get to enjoy having it back.............. what a great way to just pick it up from being detailed and clean huh???

Attached Thumbnails Are you ready or already dealing with the "blizzard"!?-snowjag.jpg  
Old 12-20-2009, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

You guys are all wusses. Try coming to Quebec for a little while and see how you feel! BTW, the Jag is put away until April. Driving a nice little Honda. With roll up windows. No power locks. No cruise control. ****.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:25 PM

I only got about 8 inches in north central Jersey. But more near the coast where I work they got closer to 20 I guess. It's amazing what 35 miles does when it comes to the weather. At any rate luckily it was enough to get me the day off tomorrow. All you non-teachers enjoy your cold, white Monday at work. Haha.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ya'll be careful out there! Watching news reports of a lot of snow in the NE. None here of course. Actually got to to 60 I think.

Old 12-20-2009, 08:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

I don't know what's worse...shoveling out two cars from 18" of snow or moving. Either one is a real pain. I am currently sitting in my massage couch hoping that will lessen the pain for Monday. I can get both cars out fairly easily, but no doubt the parking space I cleared out will be taken by the time I get home from work tomorrow.

Mike

Old 12-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thermo:

Better make sure your little air scoop is still on the bottom of the X. I tore up a couple of them playing in deep snow.

Regards:
Oldengineer

Old 12-20-2009, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

ok side note: I CALL BS!!!!!!! on whoever said the STR is fine in the snow. I had to walk 3 blocks back to my house because i wanted some coffee........its now at a friends house stuck. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

ok rant done

Old 12-21-2009, 03:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,533 Likes on 3,942 Posts

Yeah, but being a friend they'll clean and detail it for you......

Old 12-21-2009, 08:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Enthusiast
BTW, the Jag is put away until April. Driving a nice little Honda. With roll up windows. No power locks. No cruise control. ****.
bet you are looking forward to the spring

Old 12-21-2009, 10:26 AM

Took the jag on a little drive last night in the snow. It handles surprisingly well in the slush and snow. Of course, all along I was hoping the "DSC unavailable" and "ABS fault" lights would not show up during the drive. Fun times.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:55 AM
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by phd12volt
ok side note: I CALL BS!!!!!!! on whoever said the STR is fine in the snow. I had to walk 3 blocks back to my house because i wanted some coffee........its now at a friends house stuck. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

ok rant done
Do you have dedicated snow tires? Makes an entire world of difference. Still have to watch the lead foot though, but the traction control helps keep the car straight.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:56 AM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Went to get a coffee at Dunkin Donuts Sunday morning and the entrance to the complex (strip mall) has a slight incline. Needless to say I was THAT guy that got stuck on the hill, had to make 7 cars behind me reverse onto a major road so i could get down the hill......Not fun. From now on it WILL be parked when it is snowing.

Quick Reply: Are you ready or already dealing with the "blizzard"!?