S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZF 6HP26 Drained-and-Filled Again This Morning....

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 02:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,703 Likes on 1,211 Posts

Originally Posted by JagV8
The fill one I hope!
That would be the one I would choose. Like Jon has stated more than once, going through the hassle of getting the fill plug out, it only makes sense to drain and fill.

I would hope ZenFly knows the ins and outs of the fill plug. It's not just as simple of loosening it up to retrieve a small sample, I don't think.

Old 10-28-2015, 02:19 PM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 242 Likes on 209 Posts

FYI, just had mine done using this kit:

http://www.thectsc.com/products/oil-change-kit-for-bmw-hyundai-jaguar-land-rover-rolls-royce-186-50.html

$260, short money...

Just doit
================================================== =
You dreamed of a big star
he played a mean guitar
He loved to drive his Jaguar...

So welcome to the machine

Old 10-28-2015, 03:13 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

An analysis would be interesting though wouldn't it?
I vote for going ahead with the plan, then the fill plug will be all loosened up in preparation for the change later. :-)

Old 10-28-2015, 03:16 PM
Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

The fill one I hope!

Best be careful and I suppose do it hot...
Yes. I was going to try to get a few oz out of the fill plug. Well see if I can even pull that off. I wasn't going to lay under the car and pull the plug. That's funny.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ZenFly
I wasn't going to lay under the car and pull the plug.

Hmmm, you are going to have to "lay under the car and pull the plug".

Old 10-28-2015, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by joycesjag
Hmmm, you are going to have to "lay under the car and pull the plug".
I have a friend with a lift.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ZenFly
I have a friend with a lift.
Nice, that'll make it easier.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by pab

http://www.thectsc.com/products/oil-change-kit-for-bmw-hyundai-jaguar-land-rover-rolls-royce-186-50.html

$260, short money...

Just doit
he played a mean guitar

I'm very likely going to "do it" soon.. the extra bolts are $1,97 ea and I think I'd like to change all of them. I'm also going to see if we can let it drain over night and try to exchange 7qts. I'm glad I poked my nose in here.. thanks

Old 10-29-2015, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by pab

$260, short money...

Just doit
he played a mean guitar

I've seen this kit before..Are the 5 replacement bolts enough ? Here is a kit for $172 (no bolts) and all 24 bolts are from the same seller for $50 more.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/oem-ZF-Autom...FUcDSM&vxp=mtr
bolts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ZF-Brand-Set...MAAOSw0vBUccF0

Last edited by ZenFly; 10-29-2015 at 05:10 AM.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Norri
An analysis would be interesting though wouldn't it?
I vote for going ahead with the plan, then the fill plug will be all loosened up in preparation for the change later. :-)
Norri.. Here is a thread about just that and I will post a separate report similar to this one when I get mine..
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...alysis-100677/

Last edited by ZenFly; 10-29-2015 at 05:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Norri (10-30-2015)
Old 10-30-2015, 08:21 AM
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Zenfly, thanks for the link to Blackstone analysis of the original transmission oil. That's enlightening. FYI I changed my fluid with Mercon SP several years ago like several other forum members did. I did not prescribe to the lifetime fluid and the Blackstone report only reinforced that point. Lifeguard is not a magic fluid.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jon89
Yes. The only way to get ALL of the old ATF out is to flush the transmission instead of doing a drain-and-fill or a pan drop, but flushing introduces a new set of risks such as dredging up long-settled debris and getting it stuck in the valve bodies. I will not take that risk, some owners will, but it's your call....

The ZF 6HP26 holds 10 litres of ATF when full. Just pulling the drain plug typically gets 4 to 5 litres out of it. Those who have dropped the pan and allowed the car to drain overnight report getting as much as 7 litres out of it. I would be very happy with a 7-litre drain. I was concerned about our initial 4-quart drain-and-fill last November. That's why we did another drain-and-fill yesterday (resulting in the very same 4-quart figure). That's enough replaced ATF now to satisfy me for the duration of the time this car spends in our stable....
I have a question about this.. I've always understood that trans fluid is highly detergent that keeps things clean and in reference to this keeps particles in suspension until they are trapped in the filter. I've even heard of an old trick I will never try to add 1qt of trans fluid to engine oil and run for a while and drain to clean all the gunk out.. Is there any real evidence that changing all 10qts causes problems ? ZF may suggest changing only 5-6qts but they are the same company that said it's lifetime" Anyway for the heck of it I took my car to Aamco yesterday for their free checkup. I hooked up my iCarsoft 930 and set it for trans fluid temp for the 30mi drive. Started at 30c (86F) and rose to 61c (140F) on arrival because they said on the ph that they wouldn't do anything if it was overheating but it was well within temp. They were surprised I had the temp for them already. Anyway they did a road test their electronic test and checked fluid level and their opinion was "the level and fluid look good" and after I said really? said "the ZF fluid is real good" Aamco also said they don't do drain and fill and will only change all the fluid.I mentioned if you go to the ZF site and see their service kits they include 6qts so it appears they suggest "drain and fill too" not just forum members. The Aamco printout stated only $75 labor but ZF oil was $336 and pan $285 making the total way high. I told them on the spot that I had already priced everything and could get the pan and real ZF oil for about $325 and wanted save a lot more by using Mercon SP. The only other fluid they were willing to use was Amsoil saving $89 and they wouldn't do anything with materials supplied by me so obviously I'm not using them for anything but the free check.

Last edited by ZenFly; 10-31-2015 at 07:09 AM.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,528 Likes on 3,938 Posts

I think you've got some false impressions and data. I believe ZF do not suggest to drain and fill.

Some places and people suggest it as a fairly easy thing to do, that is all.

I think ZF say to change it all. I am sure that is the intention, at least.

I don't believe you can tell the condition of the fluid from its temperature. All that would tell you is if the trans is overheating, which they don't generally seem to do.

The only (*) way to check the fluid level is to remove the (fill) plug and follow the ZF documented procedure.

(*) well, you could remove the whole trans and weigh it LOL

On putting trans fluid into an engine yes it's an old trick, quite often posted on this site. Search if you want to...

Last edited by JagV8; 10-31-2015 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:09 AM

I think you've got some false impressions and data. I believe ZF do not suggest to drain and fill.

Some places and people suggest it as a fairly easy thing to do, that is all.

I think ZF say to change it all. I am sure that is the intention, at least.

I don't believe you can tell the condition of the fluid from its temperature. All that would tell you is if the trans is overheating, which they don't generally seem to do.

The only (*) way to check the fluid level is to remove the (fill) plug and follow the ZF documented procedure.

(*) well, you could remove the whole trans and weigh it LOL

On putting trans fluid into an engine yes it's an old trick, quite often posted on this site. Search if you want to...
The tech waited for it to cool and pulled the plug.As you can see already I have many questions for everyone and a few for him before he took my car. I learned here how to ck that level and he wasn't offended when I asked him if he knew the temp window. The condition of the fluid was his opinion only but I'm going to change it as suggested by many above just not for $900+ .
I only said that about ZF because their service kits include a pan and 6qts on their site.. At least the PDF one I was reading. I was happy to learn here that Mercon SP has been working out as well as a few others.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member

If you're talking about the usual site posted here then it's not ZF's...

Old 10-31-2015, 08:51 AM

If you're talking about the usual site posted here then it's not ZF's...
http://www.zf.com/media/media/docume...hselkit_EN.pdf

In the beginning Jon89 mentioned not wanting to disturb sediments (flushing) and I wondered how that could be with the detergents in ATF but I came to realize stuff/particulates could be slung to the outside of the torque converter and stay there..It's a centrifuge at engine speed and I would think anything heavier that oil could collect there. I remember when I did work on cars (70s)there was often an inspection plate on the bottom rear of the bell housing and remember it gave access to the torque converter drain plug.

Last edited by ZenFly; 10-31-2015 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member

That's a PDF not a kit...

I expect if you choose to change the fluid via the way often posted here you need the amount of fluid usually posted. But as also posted you've not changed all the fluid.

Some people over here have had a full service done by ZF and I understand that is all the oil.

We've been round this loop before on this site: ideally you change all the oil but that's not easy so people do what they can - about 6l of 10l. Some do it twice, to get more of it changed.

Last edited by JagV8; 10-31-2015 at 09:47 AM.
ZenFly (10-31-2015)
Old 10-31-2015, 11:21 AM

Here is the "drain and fill" right from the ZF Education Center and it looks just as the boys did way up top here. A ZF suggested procedure.

Welcome to the ZF Education Center, In this video, we would like to cover the oil change intervals for 6HP transmissions, why to use genuine ZF LifeguardFluid and filters, and provide basic instruction for changing the fluid in the ZF 6HP series transmission.

Last edited by ZenFly; 10-31-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Designeer (01-28-2018)
Old 10-31-2015, 12:12 PM
Received 163 Likes on 129 Posts

Yeah, I was planning to do that, but also pulling a cooler line to let it pump new fluid through the converter too for a complete fluid change.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds the best way, though first check you can get the fill plug out as you'll need a final check / top-up.

Quick Reply: ZF 6HP26 Drained-and-Filled Again This Morning....