S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZF transmission oil and sleeve change writeup with pics FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 10:31 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by clubairth1
Which shifting problem? The Lurch is all software related.

Can you tell us which shift solenoids? There are a number of them. I think 7 in our 6 speeds?
I come from BMW's, where the ZF's have been affected by BMW's marketing-driven "lifetime fill" nonsense. Our experience (among many users of the ZF), is that failure to change fluids as users approach the 70-100K miles range results in slow damage to the solenoids/actuators. Replacing all of them has been demonstrated to fix shifting problems in high mileage transmissions. The software fix corrects problems in lower mileage units, but in higher mileage ones actuator replacement is the best corrective, usually over 100K miles. The ~$500 actuator replacement is cheaper than the $1500 mechatronics replacement , the $3K remanufactured ZF, or the $7K new ZF (BMW prices, or ctsc prices).

I realize that statistically the XK's are less often in the high mileage range, so the community here may not have experienced the ZF issues that are more common in the six-speed ZF's in 100K+ mile BMW's.

Last edited by oncapanthera; 12-24-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:31 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I am thinking about doing the filter/pan change to my Jaguar....I used to work on cars back in the 80's. How difficult is this procedure?

Old 12-31-2013, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,715 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by desertchimera
I am thinking about doing the filter/pan change to my Jaguar... How difficult is this procedure?

Pretty simple really after you figure out which ATF you are going to use, then you have to figure out if you are going to calculate liters verses quarts, then are you going to go with a rockauto filter/pan or a Klaus kit. Replace sleeve or not for a few more bucks.

Level vehicle, drain, get oily, run through the procedure that is where you just posted to and decide if you are willing to spend anywhere from say $150 to almost $6~700.00 in labor depending on where you choose to have the work done.

Hope this helps.

Happy New Year

The following users liked this post:
desertchimera (01-01-2014)
Old 01-03-2014, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by desertchimera
I am thinking about doing the filter/pan change to my Jaguar....I used to work on cars back in the 80's. How difficult is this procedure?
Speaking solely for the ZF, it's not hard. We (in the BMW community) have a good number of folks who've replaced the tranny pan plus filter, and a few who've replaced the actuators. With, of course, at least one 6-liter fluid change (though two 6-liter changes are needed to get to a 75% "new fluid" situation, due to fluid retained in the torque converter during the change).

Kit is $250 from thectsc.com. No, I have no connection to them; it's just what bimmerfest members have come to use most often. For Jag: Oil change kit for 6HP26/28/32.

Oh, and I'm here because I'm learning about XK's and plan to buy one.

Jumpin' Jag Flash (01-04-2014)
Old 01-03-2014, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Another vote to use CTSC.

I got the fluid change kit for my 2005 STR from them. They really know ZF transmissions and I can't beat their price anywhere. Certainly not on the magic fluid Lifeguard6!!

Old 01-04-2014, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,391 Likes on 2,867 Posts

I used the CTSC kit as well when Rick and I serviced my wife's XK8 transmission at a bit over 67,000 miles back in mid-July. She was experiencing intermittent rough shifting and wanted me to go all OEM in an effort to resolve her issues, including a new sleeve. That all helped, but a Drive Cycle Adaptations procedure at the Greensboro dealership was required to restore her ZF to like-new shift quality again. Her ZF has performed perfectly since then....

Seeing how clean her XK8's factory pan/filter was when we dropped it, I may just do an ATF drain-and-fill on my S-Type (leaving the factory pan/filter and sleeve in place). No leaks, no issues other than the occasional infamous "ZF squawk" during our hot summer months, so a drain-and-fill may be all that I do initially. If that turns out to be the case, I've decided to use Mercon SP. It remains Ford's recommended ATF in their Lincoln Navigator SUVs that run the same ZF 6HP26 that our Jaguars run. It meets the required Shell specs. And several forum members have used it in their ZFs during the past two or three years with zero reports of any issues. I believe Mercon SP has enough of a track record now to be regarded as every bit as good as Lifeguard 6. It may even be the exact same formula with the only difference being color (Lifeguard 6 is gold, Mercon SP is red)....

Jumpin' Jag Flash (01-04-2014)
Old 01-05-2014, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,457 Likes on 1,931 Posts

That's a good point! We now have some experience with the Mercon SP and nobody has reported any problems that I can find. Just wish we could get Ford or ZF or somebody to come out and give a list of approved fluids.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

People have used a UK oil (Millermatic IIRC) and again no reports of issues.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:02 AM

Pragmatically, I suspect that the key is regular changes more than rigid adherence to ZF Longlife. ZF recommends changing at 70K-120K KM (about 42K-72K miles).

If it's a reputable supplier (as are Mercon, Millermatic and Shell) with supplier approval for the 6-or-8 speed ZF's, the user is probably fine if the fluid is changed regularly.

But BMW's "lifetime fill" nonsense, I believe, burned a bunch of us who want to keep our ZF-fitted BMW's. So, when asked, our default is "no experiments -- just go with the ZF".

Last edited by oncapanthera; 01-06-2014 at 08:10 AM.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:50 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Did anyone determine what the plug next to sleeve is? is it an alternate filler plug?

Old 09-19-2014, 01:41 PM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

Besides THECTSC oil change kit for ZF6HP,

Does anyone else sell the full kit? I recall there being someone on the forums advertising the full kit? Guess I'll have to order the sleeve seperate regardless...

My STR has developed a leak, and I'm finding a small puddle with red trans fluid underneath her now... Going to have to investigate where its coming from...

Figure while I'm in there I'll do a fluid change. The previous owner had the transmission rebuilt at AAMCO transmission immediately before my purchase. I'm not sure what fluid they would have used to top it off with... but don't think its LG6, as whats dripping out is red... Hope I can mix zf's lifeguard6 with whatevers in there now...

Old 09-19-2014, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,551 Likes on 3,958 Posts

Red... not the ZF (golden etc) so maybe PAS (if not coolant).

Old 04-14-2015, 09:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 220 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Probably about to tackle this so and update would be appreciated ...

I see that he hasn't posted in a while ...

Did we ever find out if his pan choice worked?

I see that CTC still has the plastic pan kit but option to go to metallic with a replaceable filter is now gone. What happened?

Has anyone any log term usage report on a substitute fluid use for this?

Redline makes good stuff.
What about the Castrol Multi Import?

Why can't the fluid be exchanged via the cooler lines? Is there indeed a thermostat inside of the tranny? I know you still have to drop the pan and replace the filter and sleeve but it might make getting all of the old fluid out of the TC easier.

THKS.

Originally Posted by heima
Well, I said I would get back to pricing of parts.

Fluid - Mercon SP, from Oreily Auto $4.59 a qt.
Filter pan, gasket, plug, and o-ring - Beck/Arnley 044-0351, $99 Rock Auto
Sleeve - c2c39599 $7.50 Gaudin Jaguar
Screws - c2c6729 1.05 Gaudin Jaguar

I've been doing a little research an it seems that the cooler lines could be high pressure. Because of that, I am little apprehensive to do a shade-tree mechanic transmission flush. Additionally, one rumor is that the fluid is thermostatically controlled. In the flow diagrams of the ZF 6HP26 repair manual, there is something looking like either a thermostat or pressure regulator, or check valve in the route from the tranny to the cooler.

I am thinking that a long drain including the cooler, then fill and run for a few minutes through the gears, then a long drain including the cooler, replace the filter, sleeve, etc and another fill, is better than just one drain and fill. Not quite a flush, but a heck of a lot safer than messing with high pressure lines.

The filter from Rock Auto is not the ATP for $105, I chose a BMW 545i filter, and got the Beck/Arnley. I know that Beck/Arnley repackages a lot of OEM parts, and I have my fingers crossed that it will be the same here. That is, a ZF filter and not a Taiwan filter. (Though Taiwan made stuff is pretty good, why not go with the OEM?)

Any comments are welcome.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,391 Likes on 2,867 Posts

I researched appropriate ATFs for years and decided to use Mercon SP when we did a drain-and-fill on my 2005 S-Type 3.0 at 85,000 miles at Rick's house last November 5th. Mercon SP meets the required Shell M1375.4 specs, Ford used it as the factory fill on their 2006 to 2008 Lincoln Navigators, and it has performed perfectly in my S-Type during the past five months....

Rick has been running Castrol Multi-Import ATF in his 2005 S-Type since 2010 with zero issues. Castrol tech support told me via phone last year that they no longer recommend it for our ZF 6HP26 application, but that may have just been their lawyers controlling our conversation for liability reasons....

As long as your selected ATF meets the Shell M1375.4 specs, my opinion is that you're good to go. Just do your own research before you decide on your new fluid for yourself....

Last edited by Jon89; 04-14-2015 at 11:02 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jon89:
joycesjag (04-14-2015), Norri (04-14-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

What about the pan issues?

The one he listed at Rockauto comes up on their database as a non applicable???

The only one they list doesn't look at all similar and has anyone used these?

Beck/Arnely themselves list nothing for this Jag but catalogs can be funny or incomplete.

Thks.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:17 PM
Received 251 Likes on 169 Posts

Ended up skipping the CTSC service kit, as so getting a shipping quote to canada alone was asking too much...

My trans was rebuilt about 25k miles ago, and whatever fluid they filled it with was red, and its been running fine, so I figure, forget LG6, I can get by without it, and just source an alternative locally.

Got 12L of Redline D6 ATF from amazon for about $14/bottle.

I checked rockauto for a pan/filter, there was one listed for about $100...
Found a 'made in germany' aftermarket pan/filter on eBay for about $80usd shipped, so went with that.

The sleeve I can get from my local dealer for about $20, so ready to tackle the ZF service job soon enough...

Old 04-14-2015, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

I found this today though there are knockoff pans for less. This is pretty reasonable @ $103 free shipping

ZF

05 2005 Jaguar S Type Automatic Transmission Pan - Transmission - ZF - PartsGeek

Part Number: W0133-1966939
Notes: (Filter Integrated with Pan) Includes Gasket and Seal
Detailed Notes: Complete unit : Includes filter, gasket and drain plug : Requires (21) 24 11 7 552 108 torx screw

this too:

ZF

$20 free shipping

05 2005 Jaguar S Type Automatic Transmission Plug Adapter - Transmission - Genuine, ZF - PartsGeek

But they don't list part numbers that make any sense?
The reviews sound like it's correct though.

Only makes $$$ sense if you're buying trans fluid of another type and just need the pan and the sleeve. Otherwise the CTC kit is decently priced.

Old 04-14-2015, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member

I go in for a look see tomorrow not instead to see what's leaking but I DO suspect the trans cooler lines. Having the trans fluid & engine oil look the same color isn't terribly helpful now is it!

Old 04-15-2015, 05:57 AM
Veteran Member

Well if you really want to get into the weeds on the various ATF fluids have a gander at this link:

Lifeguard6 = Mercon SP?

Follow Turkeybaster & F32fleet - two pages of epic internet war LOL

Goes for about 2 pages.

But ... they uncover some very detailed stuff and in the end the great skeptic is convinced about the efficacy of substitution. More credit to him! It's an older thread and I'd like to find more about substituting Redline's stuff since I have a local seller who's also on the internet and he sells a 12 bottle case of the stuff for $95. I also need to service my Suburban AT so this may work out well for me. I've had Mobile One synthetics in that vehicle (both diffs and tranny) since about 2005. Those have been great but it's time now after 89K to 137K.

Red Line Synthetic D6 ATF Case of 12 Quarts | eBay

I've done business with this guy many times and he's great. Decent price too!

Old 05-08-2015, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member
Default I'm probably doing all of this weekend now that everything has arrived.

Originally Posted by bogart
In the pics of the pans does the fluid flow up the upstanding pipe or down it?
I'd like to know so I can backflush mine as I took it off today. One thing I came across was if you use a heat gun on the end of the pan bolts the 27mm torx ended bolts come away fairly easily. They need force but you hear a crack and then they are free. I am not sure if the replacement bolts have loctite on them but the ones I removed today certainly did. I am going to replace all of mine with 6mm hex bolts plus a thick washer.
I'm wondering if this has ever been resolved?

Did ZF put them in with loctite, it does make some sense to use a weaker grade on these? Since he found it on there was it a PO or the ZF factory?

Quick Reply: ZF transmission oil and sleeve change writeup with pics FAQ