Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZF6 Transmission-Issue with lower gears update

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 02:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ZF6 Transmission-Issue with lower gears update

Hi everybody,
I just thought to share a little update and another little bit of advice, it's always nice to hear it. So, the Jag dealer performed the ZF6 reflash and reprogrammed it. The transmission was changing a little smoother just a day after the re-program but since then, it has become worse than even before the reflash.
The transmission is shifting even harder at the 1-2 or the 2-3 exchange, on a cold or warm engine.
I did check the O-Ring with the paper-towel method, and I didn't see any engine oil leak, though my coolant is leaking for the second time after I fixed it back in April. I have been carrying coolant in the trunk, of course. But the main thing is transmission, I did buy the Ford ExtraCare warranty plan from the Ford dealership I purchased the car from, which should cover the tranny cost (at least part of it, I hope).
I don't even think the Jag dealer in Pittsburgh, checked the fluid level, as they just told me the tranny was sealed. I thought it was strange that they didn't want to do it even when I told them I would pay for it. I have taken it to an independent tranny shop but they didn't even want to look at it. I'm new in Pittsburgh, and not knowing good tranny shops and mechanics, makes it even worse The Jag dealer just told me if the reflash doesn't solve the issue, I should be thinking about brand new transmission.
So I don't know, I have bought the elmo but i haven't received it because of some shipping issue, I should be getting that soon. I still have no warning lights on.
Sorry for the long post,
Daria

Old 10-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

The elm won't read the TCM (trans module).

The ZF 6HP26 is fitted to lots of cars now (BMW, Audi etc) and the details of checking fluid level etc are the same so a good trans shop should be OK doing it. (I know, "should" can be a bit iffy.)

The reality is that the car franchises such as Jag just don't "do" transmissions. They can do oil changes and stuff, and sell cars. I find the parts dept is the best bit!! Beyond that.... I'd rather DIY or find an indy, and for a trans I suggest a trans shop (here the jag indy would be OK but I don't think that's typical of the USA).

Old 10-15-2012, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 802 Likes on 670 Posts

Please don't tell me that you have a vinyl top on your S Type??

Old 10-15-2012, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 389 Posts

I know...not to be disrespectful to Daria...it's not sitting well with me too.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:43 PM

Hi,
to begin with, the vinyl (cloth or whatever it is) top was not my idea as I purchased the car with them on; the year and the low miles caught me more than the top.
I just haven't had enough time to even think about changing it, because the car is usually in the shop for one reason or another. As I lived in Buffalo, West Herr Jaguar was no help in fixing some of the major issues she has had, like leaking engine oil, leaking coolant, park brake randomly coming up and going straight to limp mode during rainy days and I had to find a good indy mechanic there to at least get her into running condition since March of this year when I purchased it. By the way, it was not showing any of these faults back when I bought her in March as they faults began to appear back in April.
I'm a fan of a clean car as well, it's not the best looking thing.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:49 PM
Veteran Member

After we get her mechanically sound off comes the top.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:12 PM

yes sir, that will have to happen in New York, because I honestly don't even trust these ppl up here in Pittsburgh to touch her; unfortunately Ive got no choice as i'm a student up here and won't be able to go back there to New York as soon as I would like for the mechanical fixes.
The top will come off, the all-black rims are my taste.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member

Ditto, agree, the black rims do give her more of a muscular presence.