S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ZF6HP26 automatic gearbox replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2021, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy ZF6HP26 automatic gearbox replacement

I have an issue after a bad oil replacement in the automatic gearbox of my jaguar s type 2.5L V6, from 2002 Febuary, my friend "home made" mechanician didn't follow the right process to refill the gearbox. He should control the right temperature at 40° to put the correct amount of oil, instead he just changed the filter and filled the gearbox with the 7 liters provided in the package.

But the result was simple, while i was driving, the car stoped with a warning message (gearbox anomaly) and however i move the gear knob, the car doesn't move, so i brought the car to a real garage (ZF partner), they rechecked the gearbox with the correct process to get the correct amount of oil inside the gearbox, so they saw there was too much oil inside, they took of 1.5lL. They reset the errors and they restart the car, but nothing still happened, the car doesn't want to move and the code P0736 is still appear, so they made a gear learning parameter to see if that unlocked the gearbox but it's not.
They told me they might drop the gearbox to send it to ZF (big spending of money in view).

So i decided to change the gearbox by an used one, so i bought an used gear box from the same car than me 2.5L jaguar s type but from 2003 with the exac same gearbox ZF6HP26, i would like to knox if you know if i have to do someting else for the gearbox work when im done connecting it to my car ?
Does some one had already did this before ??

Last edited by cryptokayn; 11-28-2021 at 02:51 AM.
Old 11-27-2021, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 851 Posts

you have to really try to overfill it. if it was a quick change with no pan drop (5 liters usually) and you tried to force it in it would be gushing

a p0736 and being kicked out of gear sounds like the separator seal kicked the bucket.

Last edited by xalty; 11-27-2021 at 07:50 PM.
Old 11-28-2021, 02:49 AM
Unhappy

ok thank you for your reply, but i wont repair the gearbox, cause they told me about something like over 4000 euro if they have to open it by ZF constructor.
That's why i bought a used one from the same car model, then what can you tell me about the question i asked about the replacement ?

Old 11-28-2021, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,060 Likes on 851 Posts

Originally Posted by cryptokayn
ok thank you for your reply, but i wont repair the gearbox, cause they told me about something like over 4000 euro if they have to open it by ZF constructor.
That's why i bought a used one from the same car model, then what can you tell me about the question i asked about the replacement ?
TCM needs to be swapped from your car and adaptations reset.

separator seal is a non invasive repair it’s just the pan and another 10 bolts

Old 11-29-2021, 08:10 PM
Unhappy

i already changed the pan, its a new one, i called zf and i told them about the situation, they told me there is some pieces inside the gearbox which have not to be in the oil, and maybe the overfill did broke something.
the garage asked me 900 euros to try a new oil change with a new pan, new oil and new parameter reset for the gearbox, but they have no guaranty the gearbox will works after that. so i was not confidant that's why i directly bought that new gearbox, instead of paying 900 euros for nothing.

the TCM is inside the gearbox, i didn't opened the gearbox i bought it i didn't even drop the oil inside, the gearbox was took of a car and i bought it right away, so i will mount it next friday. i don't have the ODB SDD to interact with the ECM, but i think i will bring it to another specialized garage if the car don't work a soon as i mounted the gearbox. But i really not gonna try nothing else on my gearbox, i just will change it

Old 12-04-2021, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by xalty
TCM needs to be swapped from your car and adaptations reset.

separator seal is a non invasive repair it’s just the pan and another 10 bolts
Hello i just want to let you know, we mounted the gearbox, but it was still saying about the error, the gearbox was empty, no oil inside, so we bought oil to refil it, and a temper, this monday we will refil it, do you know if its simple to take the TCM from inside, or could we reprogram the gearbox without taking out the TCM ?