Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having trouble justifying an F-Type V6 S Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
and a bunch of Ferraris (I actually really like California, no idea why everyone hates on them).
Just reporting info, not taking sides. I am totally divorced from this, but people dislike it because it is a Maserati that became a Ferrari during the divorce, and it's some badge conspiracy thing and people claim it is about bad engineering.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cars/commen...posed_to_be_a/

Last edited by Uncle Fishbits; 03-21-2016 at 12:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SinF (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by F-typical
In the meantime, the ability to spin up the rear wheels in 3rd continues to amuse...

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Fishbits:
amcdonal86 (03-21-2016), SinF (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 12:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
Actually, it's 1/10 sec. quicker to 60 according to the JLR published spec. Also the 40 extra HP only shows up above 5K rpm. Until that point, they have approximately equal HP.

Most significantly, it only has 7 ft lbs. more torque, which is round-off error. Torque is what give you the experience of acceleration.
This is *FANTASTIC*. Thank you Foosh! Absolutely amazing depth of knowledge in this forum, and I really appreciate all of your intelligent conversation, and suffering me while you are at it.

But that's fascinating. I am wondering what % of the lifetime of the S utilizes that extra HP. I guess I need to get the S to try. =) If I get anything it's that project 7. lol

I *am* starting to wonder if I can wait on the clutch tho. I was just driving around SF hills the other day and it's like a hostage negotiation every time I want to shift from 1st to 2nd.

The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Fishbits:
Foosh (03-21-2016), SinF (03-21-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 02:08 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

This car is an emotional purchase. Cross shopping will reveal that other cars weigh less, are better balanced, are better track performers, have a larger dealer network, have more hp., etc., etc., etc. None of that really mattered to me after I drove it. It's my DD. In fact I car pool with one of my daughters and actually miss it on her days to drive.

It's a comfortable riding ***** cat on a daily commute that is instantly changeable to an angry raging cat and is quicker and handles better than 95% of the cars out there (the V8 is anyway).

Old 03-21-2016, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 483 Likes on 404 Posts

IMO, the V8 makes much more sense to me. However, I would prefer a manual, and certainly wouldn't want AWD. I just can't get my head around the V6 S. I cannot imagine paying that much money for, IMO, somewhat tepid performance in a sports car, despite it being beautiful or luxurious, etc.

Can you V8 guys in this thread (and I see there is a substantial number of you) say you were also interested in the V6? I certainly wasn't interested in a regular XK when I bought my XKR!

Old 03-21-2016, 04:34 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

This thread is turning more into a why a V6 instead of a V8 discussion

well, here's my reasons

1. mine "will" be a daily and the cost of fuel on that basis is a major issue in the UK - mid 30mpg for the V6 and low 20mpg for the V8
and
2. I live in a fairly compact area and on start up from cold at 07:00 every morning would not go down well with the V8 and my neighbours

Old 03-21-2016, 04:53 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by amcdonal86
IMO, the V8 makes much more sense to me. However, I would prefer a manual, and certainly wouldn't want AWD. I just can't get my head around the V6 S. I cannot imagine paying that much money for, IMO, somewhat tepid performance in a sports car, despite it being beautiful or luxurious, etc.

Can you V8 guys in this thread (and I see there is a substantial number of you) say you were also interested in the V6? I certainly wasn't interested in a regular XK when I bought my XKR!
Sure. I had originally planned to get an S before I drove an R. Once I drove the R it was all over.

But, what I liked about the S is everything I like about the R, minus the acceleration. The S looks amazing, sounds great (some would say better than the R), and is quite comfortable. The performance is more than enough for daily road use and the car is still quite fun to throw around. It's also rather less likely to kill you if you do something stupid.

However, for me the R was the right choice. I just love the way it flies and the angry noises it makes.

Old 03-21-2016, 04:56 PM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

I initially drove the V6 simply based on price. Then I drove the S and the R and I decided I only had one life to live and I had to have the R before I died. No regrets, I love my R.
Larry

Old 03-21-2016, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
I *am* starting to wonder if I can wait on the clutch tho. I was just driving around SF hills the other day and it's like a hostage negotiation every time I want to shift from 1st to 2nd.
The updated flywheel arrived at my dealer today and they expect the clutch kit this week yet. Hope this does it. Keep your fingers crossed.

The following 2 users liked this post by Unhingd:
SinF (03-21-2016), Uncle Fishbits (03-22-2016)
Old 03-21-2016, 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 983 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by ioneabee
This thread is turning more into a why a V6 instead of a V8 discussion

well, here's my reasons

1. mine "will" be a daily and the cost of fuel on that basis is a major issue in the UK - mid 30mpg for the V6 and low 20mpg for the V8
and
2. I live in a fairly compact area and on start up from cold at 07:00 every morning would not go down well with the V8 and my neighbours
I'll follow up my glib answer from this morning as I heading out to work.

I justified the V6S over the V6 because
  • LSD
  • Active dynamics
Then, I upgraded to the bigger brakes of the R because I wanted better brakes but thought Carbon/Ceramic was ludicrous for the street.

The Super Performance brakes got me torque-vectoring and electronic LSD as part of the package. Was it worth the extra? That wasn't a huge jump in price. That was probably the most reasonable of the options.

Was the Active Dynamics worth it? Probably not. Once set up, I never switch, and a don't like the dynamic throttle at all. If I were to do it again I might forego that and just upgrade to some premium dampers.

As for 6 vs. 8, a few other factors came into play:
  • Manual Transmission
  • RWD
  • I could feel the extra weight of the V8 on my test loop
  • Too easy to get the electronic nanny to cut power. Acceleration is exhilarating, but I also like driving, and am fortunate to have some pretty spectacular driving roads near home.
Hope this extra explanation is helpful

Old 03-22-2016, 12:52 AM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

I can certainly see the appeal of the V8, but seriously unless you are going to regularly track the car, the performance of the V6 is more than enough for the road, and it still can easily flick the tail out, it is very willing when you put the foot down and it still sounds glorious.

If you are buying the car purely for speed, then you will be happier with the V8, but if you want a very livable, fun balanced package and outright speed is not your main aim the V6S is a lovely car.

Old 03-22-2016, 07:28 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws
I can understand the trouble you are having. Maybe telling you about my buying process will help. When I started my car search i wasn't sure exactly what I wanted even in terms of type of car, let alone model. I knew I wanted something I would enjoy driving and that was "fast" and that's about all I had. I also knew I wanted some degree of luxury.

With that in mind I set out and drove at least 12 different cars. Some were cheaper than the F-Type. Some were mor
e expensive. Some were faster. Some had better interior materials. Some had better handling. Some had better in-car electronics.

None made me smile like the F-Type did. In the end I gathered up mountains of data, created a spreadsheet tracking data and my impressions on each car, and then promptly threw it all away and bought the one my heart wanted. The one I couldn't stop thinking about. I'm only 3-4 months in, but I'm 100% sure I made the right decision. I love this car. Far more than I would have loved any of the others.

You have to do what's right for you. Go drive an F-Type. If after you drive it that's what you want, ignore everything about specs and just remember the whole point of this kind of car is to enjoy it.
I like this approach. I have a deposit on a lightly used R but I'm recognizing quickly how many options there are at this price point. Out of curiosity, what cars did you consider?

Old 03-22-2016, 08:46 AM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by IMMD
I like this approach. I have a deposit on a lightly used R but I'm recognizing quickly how many options there are at this price point. Out of curiosity, what cars did you consider?
Others I considered (in no particular order):

Porsche 911 S
Porsche Cayman GTS
Audi RS5
BMW M4
Tesla Model S
MB AMG C63
Chevy Corvette Z06
Maserati GranTurismo
Audi R8
Cadillac CTS-V
Nissan GT-R
Lexus RC-F

If you'd like my thoughts on any/all of them just lmk

Old 03-22-2016, 11:16 AM
Veteran Member

Porsche 911 S
Porsche Cayman GTS
Audi RS5
BMW M4
Tesla Model S
MB AMG C63
Chevy Corvette Z06
Maserati GranTurismo
Audi R8
Cadillac CTS-V
Nissan GT-R
Lexus RC-F

My pop just hung up 30 yrs worth of Caddy keys for a Merc. I tested that CTS for a day with him... they threw him the keys and let us take it 300 miles for the entire day. GREAT car. Under the radar performance for sure. It's interesting their rebirth... they know they are losing old white dudes and moving into Asian and Black demographics, and it's working. It's angles are too brutal for me, and it's still too big a car, and the back seats of almost any sedan are worthless... there is less room in the Caddy than my wife's mini-cooper. Still, I am surprised they are losing their core demographic at the same time as making up for past mistakes. Maybe too little too late.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The updated flywheel arrived at my dealer today and they expect the clutch kit this week yet. Hope this does it. Keep your fingers crossed.
You have just excited a random man. lol

Old 03-22-2016, 12:42 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Porsche 911 S
Porsche Cayman GTS
Audi RS5
BMW M4
Tesla Model S
MB AMG C63
Chevy Corvette Z06
Maserati GranTurismo
Audi R8
Cadillac CTS-V
Nissan GT-R
Lexus RC-F

I've given thought to a number of these. I've driven a Cayman before and loved it. The PDK was awesome. The M4 looks like a great car but I've rules it out because it looks like a sedan more than a sports car. Not that I would rule it out forever though. I have given strong thought to a z06 but I'm in a '14 stingray now and when I tested a z the only difference was the exhaust was louder and it got to 60 mph so fast the thrill was over before I knew it. The Tesla is awesome but I have some reservation about the long term solvency of Tesla as they have never made any profit (yes I understand why). Plus I think it's funny to cross shop an F type with such an amazing exhaust with a car that has no exhaust.

Having said that, I would be interested in your opinion on the M4 and Z06 just for curiosity's sake.

I'm also interested in the BMW i8 if anyone has tested one....

Old 03-22-2016, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

The current Z06 is a monster capable of being a good daily driver. I loved my C6 Z06, but the C7 has really upped the ante. The real bargain is the base C7, which for $55K is faster around a track (at least Laguna Seca--see link below) than the F-Type R @ double the price.

This link might be interesting to some in comparing the F-Type to the performance of other cars.

Laguna Seca (post 1988) lap times - FastestLaps.com

amcdonal86 (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 01:00 PM
Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

I did the spreadsheet bit, with research, on a number of those adding the Aston and the MB SL, then I started driving some of them. I owned a Cayman S at the time. All of the research and all of the numbers are really just a waste of time. Despite how analytical I am or may want to be, the love affair with a car is visceral and emotional. No doubt the emotions are different for each of us. Having said that, nothing gave me the same feeling that the F-Type did. Sure, there were features on some of the other cars that were better than the Jaguar, but I just felt a bond with the F-Type. Can't explain it. In the end, I suggest that somebody else's opinion does not matter. Drive what you can, what you can afford, what is available, then you should know which one makes you smile the most. I should say that the Vette came close, but the Jaguar is just more refined, luxurious, and better built. I would have loved to spend less money and have it serviced locally, but the Jaguar had a pull I could not resist.
Larry

SinF (03-22-2016)
Old 03-22-2016, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Interesting discussion;

No doubt the Z06 is a far better bang for the buck....I just didn't want one nor would I realize the performance difference on the street. The M4 was cool but I eventually dismissed it because I wanted a sportscar not a sedan. The I8 was pricey, not that quick and I figured the styling may date itself very quickly.
The Tesla didn't get a moments thought for me; If I'm buying an electric car, it'll be a $20,000 from A to B transportation appliance only.

Dave

Old 03-22-2016, 03:29 PM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

A big factor for me was exclusivity - really rarity. I had an SLK 55. Damn few around. Corvettes are a better bang for the buck but they are everywhere as are Caymans, Boxsters and 911s. F-Types are rare. I've only ever seen 1 F in the wild (not counting car meets).

The following 2 users liked this post by Dogbreath!:
amcdonal86 (03-22-2016), Uncle Fishbits (03-24-2016)

Quick Reply: Having trouble justifying an F-Type V6 S Coupe