F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which grille do you prefer - standard with bar or P7 with no bar?
I prefer the factory grille with the bar
16.28%
I'd upgrade to the P7 style grille with NO bar if I could
83.72%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Vote: Front Grille Bar

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 02:33 PM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Vote: Front Grille Bar

If it were possible to replace the front grille surround and grille with one similar to the Project 7 would you do so?

Option 1: NO WAY!! I like the factory grille just fine, not worth it to me to change it.

Option 2: YES! Definately - The P7 grille is much cooler.

The following users liked this post:
Foosh (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

voted; betcha can't guess which I chose! haha.

Dave

Old 03-29-2016, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Thanks for doing this. I think the cost would be the deciding factor for many. Some might do it for $500-$1000, but not over that. Considering the nose has to come off, which most won't tackle themselves, it's definitely an over $1K project and depending upon the cost of the grill, potentially much more.

mshedden (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 02:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Foosh
Thanks for doing this. I think the cost would be the deciding factor for many. Some might do it for $500-$1000, but not over that. .
Agreed.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 03-29-2016, 05:11 PM
Received 243 Likes on 153 Posts

I voted with the "Upgrade to P7 style if I could" group, though the way you phrased the question breaks down into two separate issues for me.

I prefer the grill mesh style inherent to the F-type over the more open mesh of the P7, but I hate the Bumper Bar with such a passion, I would live with the P7 mesh just to get rid of the butt-ugly bumper bar.

That said, if I can obtain a P7 Grill Surround without the notches for the bumper bar, I might just install my own mesh -- something different -- and for starters, I have already located one prospective mesh material that looks very similar to the original F-Type honeycomb mesh...

Regarding the costs of doing this entire project as has been discussed above, I am hoping to have three separate projects done at the same time, all that require the front clip to be removed, so I expect to realize some economies of scale while avoiding having the front clip removed three separate times.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 724 Likes on 499 Posts

Originally Posted by mshedden
If it were possible to replace the front grille surround and grille with one similar to the Project 7 would you do so?

Option 1: NO WAY!! I like the factory grille just fine, not worth it to me to change it.

Option 2: YES! Definately - The P7 grille is much cooler.

great photo comparison. I can live with the bar but if an easy swap was possible, I would do it.

ImNotFamousAnymore (04-06-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbourne
great photo comparison. I can live with the bar but if an easy swap was possible, I would do it.
That's kinda where i'm at too. Price will be a large determination.

Old 03-29-2016, 06:45 PM
Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts

I prefer the look with the bar. Looks classier to me and IMO without it the grille just looks like one giant mouth.

Old 03-29-2016, 07:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by LobsterClaws
I prefer the look with the bar. Looks classier to me and IMO without it the grille just looks like one giant mouth.
That's precisely why I like it.

Originally Posted by Stohlen
Price will be a large determination.
Originally Posted by Mbourne
I can live with the bar but if an easy swap was possible, I would do it.
I think the cost would be the deciding factor for many. Some might do it for $500-$1000, but not over that.
The surround costs about $225 and the mesh is $175 (plus or minus) not including shipping if they can be had. The swap is relatively easy but very time consuming (lot's of fasteners to remove fender liners and the fiberglass nose).

Old 03-29-2016, 07:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 642 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
The surround costs about $225 and the mesh is $175 (plus or minus) not including shipping if they can be had. The swap is relatively easy but very time consuming (lot's of fasteners to remove fender liners and the fiberglass nose).
And relocating the parking sensors?

Old 03-29-2016, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member

I plan on mounting them on my Sto N Sho plate if they still will work properly. Otherwise, I will mount them through 2 of the grille honeycombs.

Last edited by Unhingd; 03-29-2016 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member

Not hard for anyone with a small amount of fabricating ability...

I plan (planned seeing as how I probably won't get my P7 stuff now :-( ) to make a mount that attaches the parking sensors to the structural cross brace behind the grill with enough adjustment to locate them into an open grill "diamond".

Dave

Old 03-29-2016, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member

That's precisely why I like it.

Yep; silly cheap as far as I'm concerned. Would I pay $4k for a custom aftermarket grill? no. But the P7 stuff at those prices; yep, in a heartbeat.

Dave

Old 03-29-2016, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member

Where did those numbers come from and why the hedging? Is there any reason why you don't care to share here what you paid for your P7 part?

Last edited by Foosh; 03-29-2016 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:26 PM
Veteran Member

Where did those numbers come from and why the hedging? Is there any reason why you don't care to share here what you paid for your P7 part?
No reason whatsoever. It's plus or minus depending on who you get the pricing from and in what currency you have to pay. These are the prices quoted by a stateside supplier. I suspect those are discounted numbers from the dealer's. We'll see if they come through with the parts. I got mine from a supplier in the UK.( about $35 more). No conspiracy other than trying to spread the orders across the globe and understanding that no one will pay the same price unless they order from the same place. DPelletier can attest to the price variation.

Foosh (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member

No reason whatsoever. It's plus or minus depending on who you get the pricing from and in what currency you have to pay. These are the prices quoted by a stateside supplier. I suspect those are discounted numbers from the dealer's. We'll see if they come through with the parts. I got mine from a supplier in the UK.( about $35 more). No conspiracy other than trying to spread the orders across the globe and understanding that no one will pay the same price unless they order from the same place. DPelletier can attest to the price variation.
Yep, prices vary depending on the source....all still very reasonable so far, IMO. Throw one on Ebay though and the selling price may be VERY different!

Dave

Old 03-29-2016, 10:48 PM
Veteran Member

OK, I was just curious because the wording seemed very vague. It is a reasonable price if one can actually purchase it. It's great for those willing and able to do the R&R work on the nose, painting or otherwise hiding the frame, and relocating/removing, or electronically neutering the sensors.

In retrospect, I guess I shouldn't have been surprised at the poll results if, in theory, it could be had for little or no pain. I still believe most people don't feel strongly enough about the bar to undergo what it takes to do it right. I just don't see a market for more than a couple of dozen of these, max.

Last edited by Foosh; 03-30-2016 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:41 AM
Received 173 Likes on 125 Posts

I like the no bar look, but here there is no option not to have a front plate. I have a premium plate the height of which is roughly the same as the bar and the background is black with silver lettering and as such it is very unobtrusive mounted on the bar. I actually think any other plate option for me would look worse than the bar does.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:08 AM
Received 192 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMike
I voted with the "Upgrade to P7 style if I could" group, though the way you phrased the question breaks down into two separate issues for me.

I prefer the grill mesh style inherent to the F-type over the more open mesh of the P7, but I hate the Bumper Bar with such a passion, I would live with the P7 mesh just to get rid of the butt-ugly bumper bar.

That said, if I can obtain a P7 Grill Surround without the notches for the bumper bar, I might just install my own mesh -- something different -- and for starters, I have already located one prospective mesh material that looks very similar to the original F-Type honeycomb mesh...

Regarding the costs of doing this entire project as has been discussed above, I am hoping to have three separate projects done at the same time, all that require the front clip to be removed, so I expect to realize some economies of scale while avoiding having the front clip removed three separate times.
Gotcha. There are a number of options for mesh out there, from gutter guard on up! (Yes, one of the options (small diamond mesh) that these guys are selling is *identical* to gutter guard (same clips too) you can buy at home depot for $3. Some of the wire meshes remind me of Bentley.

customcargrills.com - Custom Car and Truck Grills - Mesh Grill Sheets and More!

and yes, the original grille mesh style might be preferable (of the two JLR options) if only so the original 'S' / 'R' badge would fit. I'm guessing it wouldn't be too difficult to make a hexagonal piece that fits into the mesh to hold the parking sensors to the grille also.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:26 AM
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't know... I voted for Prefer because the bumper "finishes" the look, unlike without you can still see an unfinished cross member.... I was looking at billet grills earlier and "black" aluminium with this style would do it for me....

Quick Reply: Vote: Front Grille Bar