Sponsored by:

InControl App remote starting?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
Tried three times. Whats the secret?
I don't believe the inControl Remote was available until MY16 in the US, and not in Canada until MY17. Call the JCNA Concierge for confirmation.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I don't believe the inControl Remote was available until MY16 in the US, and not in Canada until MY17. Call the JCNA Concierge for confirmation.
Correct.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:26 AM
Received 400 Likes on 211 Posts

For those of you with Apple Watches, you can also start/access the car from the Apple Watch as well.

The following 4 users liked this post by WhiteTardis:
MalibuFtype (08-26-2016), mp51998 (06-23-2016), Smoke Em (06-09-2016), Unhingd (06-09-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 07:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

i find that my command to start the car always fails unless i let the app wait until the car gets to "contacted: just now" first

Old 06-11-2016, 08:24 PM
Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

I found out something that disappointed me. Last week while showing off this remote access feature to coworkers the app timed out. I did not try to access again and after work while walking up to the car found it unlocked. I'm lucky there is heavy security at work. Had this happened downtown the car would have been emptied of all valuables.

Old 06-12-2016, 09:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RawwR
I found out something that disappointed me. Last week while showing off this remote access feature to coworkers the app timed out. I did not try to access again and after work while walking up to the car found it unlocked. I'm lucky there is heavy security at work. Had this happened downtown the car would have been emptied of all valuables.
Is the implication here that the feature you were demonstrating was unlocking the doors while you weren't near the car?!

Old 06-13-2016, 07:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
Is the implication here that the feature you were demonstrating was unlocking the doors while you weren't near the car?!
You just need to be somewhere on the planet with connectivity to have full function. The issue he had was that the app timed out and he didn't think the app executed the unlock command, which it did.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:55 AM

You just need to be somewhere on the planet with connectivity to have full function. The issue he had was that the app timed out and he didn't think the app executed the unlock command, which it did.
I was actually just trying to access the app and not implement any action.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member

Not my intended point. I know it's possible. But certainly not a function I would test without being able to visually assess the security of the car afterwards.

Turns out he didn't issue the unlock command at all, which is more puzzling.

Old 06-13-2016, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RawwR
I was actually just trying to access the app and not implement any action.
Very strange. haven't heard any reports of that. Are you certain the car was locked when you walked away from it? I can't think of any reason the app would send an unlock command upon startup. It's not even obvious that there is an unlock function within the app (there is...but you get to it by tapping on the vehicle alarm status, which isn't clearly marked as a 'button' of any kind). I think you would have to at least entertain the possibility that you forgot to lock your car earlier in the day.

Old 06-14-2016, 08:30 PM

You could be right, I tried to replicate the time out today with no luck. I will try again tomorrow.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

Any chance for retrofit? is it a hardware issue between models? Is my car missing a receiver?

Old 06-21-2016, 12:55 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
Any chance for retrofit? is it a hardware issue between models? Is my car missing a receiver?
Even if you could retrofit the hardware (which would be difficult), Jaguar's registration system requires a VIN which would filter out your car from activating it.

Old 06-21-2016, 02:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Remote access to such functionality (unlock, start) is rather dangerous. JLR is an automotive manufacturer, it is all but guaranteed they don't get information security. So it is only matter of time before someone discovers a way to exploit it and every script kiddie would gain ability to do this to your car from half across the world.

Old 06-21-2016, 03:30 PM
jf1
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Remote access to such functionality (unlock, start) is rather dangerous. JLR is an automotive manufacturer, it is all but guaranteed they don't get information security. So it is only matter of time before someone discovers a way to exploit it and every script kiddie would gain ability to do this to your car from half across the world.
JRL doesn't operate the telematics implementation for InControl, the service is contracted out to a TSP (WirelessCar, Sweden).

Before you say "but that Jeep was hacked!" and possibly even notice that uConnect also utilizes WirelessCar...there are a few major things missing from that argument. First, the attack was not executed via the TSP, so there is no connection there. Second, the attack is dependent on a seriously flawed IP routing ruleset for Sprint's IP network (JLR uses AT&T with a different network config). Third, the attack is dependent on a completely broken (from a security standpoint) Harman Kardon infotainment system not present in the F-Type.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The InControl remote app works fine on my car. Has anyone tried to see if the car can get into gear and drive when you use the remote start feature and the key fob is not in detectable range. I haven't tried, but I'll wager you wouldn't be able to drive it away without the key fob.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:34 AM

I wonder if the presence of InControl remote in the 2016 F-type could allow for the after market installation of the Jaguar activity key (an option on the F-pace). The activity key is a great idea, but I wouldn't buy an F-pace just for it....the F-type is more fun. I'd definitely get an activity key installed in my F-type if dealerships offered it.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MalibuFtype
The InControl remote app works fine on my car. Has anyone tried to see if the car can get into gear and drive when you use the remote start feature and the key fob is not in detectable range. I haven't tried, but I'll wager you wouldn't be able to drive it away without the key fob.
I don't feel like breaking my window to crawl in and find out.

Remote start locks the doors.

Old 08-16-2016, 03:55 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

incontrol remote works on mine (MY20017) ......... providing you haven't left the windows open a little (as I found out today)

Old 08-16-2016, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Nati
I don't feel like breaking my window to crawl in and find out.

Remote start locks the doors.
InControl remote can unlock your door using the phone app so you won't have to break your windows.

Quick Reply: InControl App remote starting?