XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Headlight Modification

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 03:51 PM
Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts

Jonathan
First off I want to thank you for all the info and pictures of the LED lights. A big THANK YOU, TO YOU!
I was aware of the high voltage with the HID system and the heat generated by the bulb.
Thanks for the heads up.
I am going to put a mirror on a spare HID bulb. I will use two wires to make a four leg cage and attach the mirror to the intersection of the wires. Nothing will touch the bulb. It should block the light and send it back to the reflector. If that doesn't work I'll pull the HID's and go with your system
Again TUVM for all your info; it was appreciated

Old 07-05-2016, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 354 Likes on 214 Posts

It is interesting lot.

JAGUAR XJS HEADLAMPS VINTAGE RARE COLLECTION OF 5 VALEO LIGHTS & KIDNEY GRILLS | eBay

It is of 308, three are low beam, there are two high beam.
It have bright light well with HID

Old 07-05-2016, 11:15 PM
Received 179 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by xjsv12
It is interesting lot.

JAGUAR XJS HEADLAMPS VINTAGE RARE COLLECTION OF 5 VALEO LIGHTS & KIDNEY GRILLS | eBay

It is of 308, three are low beam, there are two high beam.
It have bright light well with HID
Looks like the setup from an XJ8 rather than an XJS, which is what he's advertising. I think I recognize the little hole for running lights on the low-beam pair.

How he got five of these rather than just four, I have no idea.

Jess

Old 07-06-2016, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 354 Likes on 214 Posts

BMW mod

Attached Thumbnails Headlight Modification-2016-07-06-12.43.07.jpg  
Old 07-06-2016, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

the two blub two reflector AmpiLux the little one is a pencil beam that goes like forever... top half is the Low Beam

Originally Posted by afterburner1
Jonathan
First off I want to thank you for all the info and pictures of the LED lights. A big THANK YOU, TO YOU!
I was aware of the high voltage with the HID system and the heat generated by the bulb.
Thanks for the heads up.
I am going to put a mirror on a spare HID bulb. I will use two wires to make a four leg cage and attach the mirror to the intersection of the wires. Nothing will touch the bulb. It should block the light and send it back to the reflector. If that doesn't work I'll pull the HID's and go with your system
Again TUVM for all your info; it was appreciated

the mirror makes for an image of the lighting element that is farther out from the focal length... I get a nice FAT white blob and not a great cut off... I have the other bulb modified now and I have made a BLACK shield that is covering the MIRROR.... I am going to see how this effects the beam shape and focus.... MIRROR verses BLACK OUT
I am expecting to see a difference in the beam...
not to be out done if I see the difference I expect I will then remove it and remove HALF of the black out corresponding to the side of the car that is away from on coming traffic and am hoping to see more of a European/German beam shape...

I had S.E.V. Marchal E2 Amplilux Headlights in my Austin-Healey and I really do not believe I have ever had headlight that good since... SEV Marchal E2 Amplilux Headlights
had to sets... (always good to have a spare)
NOW they SELL FOR WHAT ?

Last edited by Jonathan-W; 07-06-2016 at 07:51 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member

stock low beams.... ugh!

no more what was that in the dark... there is NO DARK... gets all the way down to the ROAD....
DONE....
the BLACK out did not alter the Beam pattern in any way that was beneficial....

the mirror did reduce Glare...

The Blacked out Mirror REALLY reduced Glare.... with out any substantial loss of lighting... In fact when I have some down time I will pull them and "Paint it Black"
(I see a red door and want to ---------- )

I recommend that the 1 inch (2.54cm) disk be BLACK... forgo mirrors...
though if you get them .99 for ten... just hit them with a little high temp black paint
I bought the HIGH POWER ones 40wats each... maybe the 32 watt ones would have been ok .....

Last edited by Jonathan-W; 07-07-2016 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member

no glare problem LED near and halogen in far...

here is one in and the 9004 stock on the other side ... not much Glare... from the LED bulb... that I modified

Old 07-12-2016, 10:40 PM

I think the HID bulb puts out more light. So before I go to LED's I am going to test a HID bulb with a Cap. I have already built a modification that will hold the cap about 1/4 inch away from the top of the bulb. I used a 1 inch brass disk, soldered two long wires (Ground wire from #14 Romax) to it and bent the wire to form four legs. Drilled four holes in the base of the bulb and slipped the legs in. Will test it and report.

On another subject. When I install a 9004 bulb into the lens I can rotate it 360 degrees. There does not appear to be any points to engage the bulb indentations. Is that normal for a '93?

Old 07-13-2016, 08:35 AM
Veteran Member

I think the HID bulb puts out more light. So before I go to LED's I am going to test a HID bulb with a Cap. I have already built a modification that will hold the cap about 1/4 inch away from the top of the bulb. I used a 1 inch brass disk, soldered two long wires (Ground wire from #14 Romax) to it and bent the wire to form four legs. Drilled four holes in the base of the bulb and slipped the legs in. Will test it and report.

On another subject. When I install a 9004 bulb into the lens I can rotate it 360 degrees. There does not appear to be any points to engage the bulb indentations. Is that normal for a '93?

Mine has points and only goes in ONE WAY... though looking at them they are not BEEFY... and look to me if too heavy a hand is used could easily be snapped off.... you could make some more with JB weld... (let it cure completely before placing a bulb in though GRIN)

Last edited by Jonathan-W; 07-13-2016 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-16-2016, 03:34 AM
Received 179 Likes on 71 Posts

Here's what I'm starting to focus on as a replacement ... anyone have experience with these?

https://www.amazon.com/OCTANE-LIGHTI...eadlights+5.75

Jess

Old 07-17-2016, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JessN16
Here's what I'm starting to focus on as a replacement ... anyone have experience with these?

https://www.amazon.com/OCTANE-LIGHTI...eadlights+5.75

Jess
high and low
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CDBPS1Y?psc=1

I searched and searched for the pattern these throw....\ the have a great cut off and are only fog/low beam
might put these on the wife's Van and the XR5
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DETS0LO...YC3FYDPP&psc=1

the best looking
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015W80P9A?psc=1
trying to find them in 5.75

Last edited by Jonathan-W; 07-17-2016 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:28 PM

Thinking out loud, I don't think that HID bulb are suitable for the Face Lift type lights. Although they appear as a drop-in, they lack compatibility with the front and back lens. Also coming out of China the longevity is not that good. Since they can't properly align there is the problem with the oncoming drivers! My recommendation save your money.
I think Jonathan-W gets the gold star. His LED,s are a simple installation, and the black disk is easy to accomplish. It also looks like the two LED's are independent of each other, where with the HID bulbs they are tied together across the radiator area. If I go to this modification I will try to buy American because I think it right and better quality. Wherewith Orientals the product quality is questionable. and returns are very expensive.
Comments are always welcome.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member

this might be better than the other for the beam pattern and cut off...

Thinking out loud, I don't think that HID bulb are suitable for the Face Lift type lights. Although they appear as a drop-in, they lack compatibility with the front and back lens. Also coming out of China the longevity is not that good. Since they can't properly align there is the problem with the oncoming drivers! My recommendation save your money.
I think Jonathan-W gets the gold star. His LED,s are a simple installation, and the black disk is easy to accomplish. It also looks like the two LED's are independent of each other, where with the HID bulbs they are tied together across the radiator area. If I go to this modification I will try to buy American because I think it right and better quality. Wherewith Orientals the product quality is questionable. and returns are very expensive.
Comments are always welcome.

I have a horrid pair of China LED bulbs in the wifes van...
a 3 pin connector on the bulb that could be plugged in either way...
Hi/Low never worked right... tech support through e-mail that I finally figured out I was emailing sales people not engineers.... WOT
have new bulbs on the way for her van
Hoshi 9004's
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._st_dp_summary
I will see how these do in her van and the Jag...

if this gives a better cut off I am most likely use it in the drivers side headlight on the Jag and the Van and the nice big blobby ones on the curb side for pedestrians.... we have a lot of Jay walkers....

Last edited by Jonathan-W; 07-18-2016 at 10:33 AM. Reason: resize
Old 07-18-2016, 11:16 AM

Jonathan-W
I went ahead and bought Stark four sided LED's on Amazon. Will try them neat and with a disk.
In reference to the alignment points on the back lens. Would it be possible for you to tell me their alignment? Are the two points closest together on the top or bottom or elsewhere. Or use a description you think is better. I can't see anything though the fender, but I can insert the bulb properly, if I know the alignment.
Saw your Pensy address are you in the Navy?

Old 07-18-2016, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member

Jonathan-W
I went ahead and bought Stark four sided LED's on Amazon. Will try them neat and with a disk.
In reference to the alignment points on the back lens. Would it be possible for you to tell me their alignment? Are the two points closest together on the top or bottom or elsewhere. Or use a description you think is better. I can't see anything though the fender, but I can insert the bulb properly, if I know the alignment.
Saw your Pensy address are you in the Navy?
not in the Navy, did 5 years at the Navy Hospital... 10 years ago.... civilian now YEAH!
the single one alone is at the top....
do you have a link ? I could only find 2 and 3 sided...

Last edited by Jonathan-W; 07-18-2016 at 04:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
afterburner1 (07-19-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 06:24 PM

Amazon web site: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Stark 4 sided Led
Four years in the navy and 21 years USAF; After retirement volunteered at NAS Corpus Hospital for about four year and then off to Houston
Perfect description on headlight alignment. Thank you

Added
Just looked at Amazon site. It looked like 4 sides, but on closer look it maybe three sided

Last edited by afterburner1; 07-18-2016 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:38 AM
Veteran Member

advert picture... will see tonight if this is true...

2 sided

Amazon web site: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Stark 4 sided Led
Four years in the navy and 21 years USAF; After retirement volunteered at NAS Corpus Hospital for about four year and then off to Houston
Perfect description on headlight alignment. Thank you

Added
Just looked at Amazon site. It looked like 4 sides, but on closer look it maybe three sided
it does have 3
Very similar to the Starnill that I have.
The one I have the top two light on low beam and the bottom one on high...
and it is like day time. at dusk, with the sun still above the horizon 10 degrees I can flash the lights and see stop signs light up a block away...
looking through the customer reviews ...they are very happy... but looking at the pictures they posted with the reviews... I am seeing a lot of headlight glare that I would not want from a car coming at me...
I have been trying to get a picture of my install but they are not exposing correctly... the top half of the light is lit up on low beam and the bottom half lights up when the high beams are selected ( the whole light top and bottom) and very little glare...

hoshi
I will be testing these (they have a life time warranty) to night for primarily the drivers side
I was further trying to reduce on coming glare to cars coming at me in the on coming traffic lane by placing a Hoshi bulb in the drivers side ... this may or may not have the result I am looking for but they were only $29 w a life time warranty
I will post results after the test....

Last edited by Jonathan-W; 07-19-2016 at 10:01 AM. Reason: order in paragraphs
The following users liked this post:
afterburner1 (07-19-2016)
Old 07-24-2016, 07:37 PM

There is an interesting dialog with pictures at http://www.candlepowerinc.com/pdfs/9004_9007.pdf, that discusses bulb interchangeability
not only for the 9004/9007 bulbs but others. It pretty much lays out why we have problems with the HID and LED bulbs.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member

the Hoshi's were more than a BUST...
after placing one in my high beam indicator is on
dim for low beam
brighter for high beam...
so now I have to fix that...
more later....

Old 07-26-2016, 10:48 AM

I installed the Stark Bulbs and they work very well. Bright and easy installation!
Have no High beam indication on dash. Don't know if it is the 12vt supply off of the bulbs or a bad plug in the Dash. I suspect the dash. If it is the plug, I am going to insert foam tape behind the printed circuit plug so as to increase the contact. I have been having problems with the plugs. Cleaning may not of helped. I think I am going to tape off the bulb out contact and stick with the eyeballing solution. The bulb out seems to be always on. Pulling the Dash is easy. Five screws plus the two plugs and it is free.

Quick Reply: Headlight Modification