F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 04:16 AM
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by pistol
Hey guys - I bring fantastic news, after so many attempts and push back with the dealership and JLRNA, I can't believe I'm saying this but, they fixed the audio rattle/buzz in my F-Type!

I drove it for a few hours, and it's a substantial improvement, not only is the tweeter buzz/rattle gone, but the overall audio quality and bass is better.
I'm trying to get more specific details from the dealership into what exactly was the cause, but I have a detailed report of what they did.
As some of us already suspected, the issue seems to be isolated to the AAM (Audio Amplifier Module) and/or Dynamic Sound Calibration done by it.

Here's an excerpt of the record:

I was supposed to drop off my car specifically for the speakers issue, on July 19th, and the FSE would have come to San Jose, from San Diego to inspect in person. But 2 weeks ago I dropped off the car for a handful of other cabin interior non-speaker issues. You can find most of these issues in my recordings on the Youtube playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...bWKDURyo_IRDzv

They had the car for 2 weeks, and this time really spent the time trying to fix things. They fixed the seat creak, the door handle creak, the dashboard rattle/buzz, and surprisingly the speakers, which were not planned for this service visit.

I would hope that anyone else having the audio issues could refer to my case and VINs and be able to get the same exact fix!

Hopefully I can learn more about the underlying issue, but I think we have a big lead here, and a significant fix that's not just add some padding.
Glad to hear you managed to get a solution hopefully like you say this can be a good case reference for others with the same issue. Just looked through all your youtube videos and crikey you have a lot of buzzes and creaks.

Without hijacking this thread to much, did you manage to get a solution to your "door ticking" problem?

Old 07-18-2016, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Great news! The amp in my car was replaced but now understand why no improvement.

Can someone interpret the acronyms in the dealers report?

Old 07-18-2016, 06:35 AM
Received 4,456 Likes on 2,427 Posts

FSE = Field Service Engineer (tech support)
VOR = Vehicle Off the Road (high priority)
AAM = Audio Amplifier Module

The following 2 users liked this post by Cambo:
jaguny (07-18-2016), NTAV (07-19-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by Cambo
Very interesting development! I knew it had to be software related.

Based on what you've relayed, there was an error in the factory and unfortunately it snowballed from there.

My take on it is;

An incorrect software was put in the amplifier in the factory in some of the cars (but not all)
The as-built file of the car (which is loaded into the dealers diagnostic system, SDD) recorded this incorrect version.
So if a dealer put in a new amplifier and reflashed it, it again got the incorrect software loaded into it, which is why the problem remained.
By pulling the amp from a car with the correct software & settings, and not reflashing it in your car (keeping the software from the donor car) the problem was solved.

When a tech goes to reflash a module he doesn't have any choice in the version of software that goes into that module. The SDD automatically chooses the software based on the as-built file of the car, the module part number, and the software files stored in the SDD. There are ways around this but it requires coded access and manual manipulation of the files, which is generally left to the tech support / FSE's, the dealer techs don't do this themselves.

So there is a fix, a workaround. And i'd expect that sooner rather than later, there will be new software versions for the Audio Amplifiers for the dealers to flash in, or maybe they will have to update/correct the as-built files which are stored in the SDD.

Good news for everyone
Yes, this would explain just about everything we've been seeing on this forum for more than 2 years, with many satisfied, and others the opposite.

The following users liked this post:
slojotaa (07-18-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 11:38 AM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Question ....

Originally Posted by Foosh
Yes, this would explain just about everything we've been seeing on this forum for more than 2 years, with many satisfied, and others the opposite.
How did we discover this information . what/where is the true source. Does Jaguar now know what is being explained here or will they look at you as if you have two heads, when telling Jaguar rep the solution to the problem.
Thanks

Old 07-18-2016, 12:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Hey Foosh....how are you?

Amazing how this sums it up to your exact point! Who would have thought...., and yes I would think, how could somebody say "mine is excellent" and others state...."mine sux". Jaguar lost some folks over this, but the solution was so simple. One would think that QC would have picked up on this at the factory ions ago. Software? Good Lord, where is the audio manufacturer in all of this, and why aren't they held accountable for this simple/yet overlooked solution. Cost Jaguar a pretty penny I am sure in time, materials and brand erosion by some.

Amazing and hitting myself in the head over such a simple yet overlooked solution!!!

Old 07-18-2016, 12:50 PM
Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Adz3000
Glad to hear you managed to get a solution hopefully like you say this can be a good case reference for others with the same issue. Just looked through all your youtube videos and crikey you have a lot of buzzes and creaks.

Without hijacking this thread to much, did you manage to get a solution to your "door ticking" problem?
Not yet - I think this was their 3rd attempt. There were seemingly issues with both the B-pillar and the door area. I think they resolved the B-pillar part, but not the door.

If you'd like to check, I made a new recording of the door/pillar noise this morning and added it to the same playlist.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubad2
How did we discover this information . what/where is the true source. Does Jaguar now know what is being explained here or will they look at you as if you have two heads, when telling Jaguar rep the solution to the problem.
Thanks
I just flipped this over to my dealer, and he is interpreting the two posts as we speak. Will let you know.

jaguny (07-18-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 01:17 PM

Thanks, I didn't know what VOR was.
Do you also know what SOP is in "SOP TWEETERS"?

Old 07-18-2016, 01:40 PM
Banned
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Looking forward to your reply ....

Originally Posted by slojotaa
I just flipped this over to my dealer, and he is interpreting the two posts as we speak. Will let you know.
Me and others will appreciate what you learn from your dealer. Thanks

slojotaa (07-18-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 02:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ubad2
Thanks
I just discovered it today in post #619 above.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:16 PM
Veteran Member

Amazing how this sums it up to your exact point! Who would have thought...., and yes I would think, how could somebody say "mine is excellent" and others state...."mine sux". Jaguar lost some folks over this, but the solution was so simple. One would think that QC would have picked up on this at the factory ions ago. Software? Good Lord, where is the audio manufacturer in all of this, and why aren't they held accountable for this simple/yet overlooked solution. Cost Jaguar a pretty penny I am sure in time, materials and brand erosion by some.

Amazing and hitting myself in the head over such a simple yet overlooked solution!!!
Hi Joe,

Doing well, and hope you're back at full speed. Yes, this is a big ". . . duh." It's so obvious it hurts to think about it.

slojotaa (07-18-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member

Don't hit yourself over the head, save that for those who deserve the beating! Many suspicions that this was the issue by forum members if you read back through all the posts.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Cambo!

Old 07-18-2016, 06:52 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I've been following this thread for a while now, because it pertains to my issue with the tweeter buzzing/bass distortion that is happening.

However, I'm not having any luck finding someone who can fix it. A dealer and a car stereo place that came recommended have told me they cant fix the issue (without a completely new system.) And I'm tired of people trying to talk me into a new system when I only need a fast fix done.

Is a new amp the only way to fix the issue? I was hoping some simple capacitors would solve it but no luck so far. The one shop said that wouldn't fix the issue.

Is there anyone in the Southwest USA region who can apply a fix or recommend a shop?

Old 07-18-2016, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by TheStrategist
I've been following this thread for a while now, because it pertains to my issue with the tweeter buzzing/bass distortion that is happening.

However, I'm not having any luck finding someone who can fix it. A dealer and a car stereo place that came recommended have told me they cant fix the issue (without a completely new system.) And I'm tired of people trying to talk me into a new system when I only need a fast fix done.

Is a new amp the only way to fix the issue? I was hoping some simple capacitors would solve it but no luck so far. The one shop said that wouldn't fix the issue.

Is there anyone in the Southwest USA region who can apply a fix or recommend a shop?
Print out post 619 above, take it to your dealer (with the car), and tell them to fix the problem.

Last edited by Unhingd; 07-18-2016 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 08:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 371 Likes on 257 Posts

i don't have the tweeter buzz that was the subject of pistol's video, but I do have the experience of woofers outmatched for the bass in my music. Not sure if this fix would help that or not. They could just be shitty woofers.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Print out post 619 above, take it to your dealer (with the car), and tell them to fix the problem.
Indeed - they basically need to find a good audio system in another donor car, take that amp and put it into yours, and NOT run calibration in your car afterwards. They would then order a new amp and put it back in the donor car, and they can safely re-run calibration on that donor car as needed.

It would be nice if we knew what build numbers had amps with good calibration, but in the meantime Jaguar tech support should be able to go off my case as a starting point. For reference, the Jaguar FSE for me throughout this was Rob Davis, who handles California cases.

I wonder if/how long it will take for Jaguar to issue a TSB. The CRC said they're definitely looking to build up more numbers behind this issue, so I'm sure it would help if you went to the dealer and CRC with the same issue and referenced the specific fix. You can even mention my build serial from my signature.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:31 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pistol
Hey guys - I bring fantastic news, after so many attempts and push back with the dealership and JLRNA, I can't believe I'm saying this but, they fixed the audio rattle/buzz in my F-Type!

I drove it for a few hours, and it's a substantial improvement, not only is the tweeter buzz/rattle gone, but the overall audio quality and bass is better.
I'm trying to get more specific details from the dealership into what exactly was the cause, but I have a detailed report of what they did.
As some of us already suspected, the issue seems to be isolated to the AAM (Audio Amplifier Module) and/or Dynamic Sound Calibration done by it.

Here's an excerpt of the record:

I was supposed to drop off my car specifically for the speakers issue, on July 19th, and the FSE would have come to San Jose, from San Diego to inspect in person. But 2 weeks ago I dropped off the car for a handful of other cabin interior non-speaker issues. You can find most of these issues in my recordings on the Youtube playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...bWKDURyo_IRDzv

They had the car for 2 weeks, and this time really spent the time trying to fix things. They fixed the seat creak, the door handle creak, the dashboard rattle/buzz, and surprisingly the speakers, which were not planned for this service visit.

I would hope that anyone else having the audio issues could refer to my case and VINs and be able to get the same exact fix!

Hopefully I can learn more about the underlying issue, but I think we have a big lead here, and a significant fix that's not just add some padding.

Amen:icon_drin k:

Old 07-20-2016, 01:34 AM
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I have been messing with the car that is going back but it seems that you need to keep the bass and the sub volume turned down if you want to turn up the volume without rattles. I pretty only listen to the dead, the band, etc. Not much for anything in the last 20 years (I am what you might call a dinosaur wen it comes to music think it ended when Jerry died), Seems to me 770 watts and all those speakers is a lot for such a small space.

Quick Reply: 770 Meridian Sound System - Speaker Question