Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apollo DRL's

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 09:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apollo DRL's

Hi,

have fitted Apollo DRL's on my 2004 S-Type, but negative earth on the jags seems to be problematic. They come on full beam when turning the ignition on but go in to dim mode soon after. I was told by Apollo tech that the side lights would seem to have continuous live feed and i would need to fit a relay.

Any advise would be great.

Thanks, Kevo1234

Old 07-30-2016, 03:40 AM
GGG
Received 16,865 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Kevo1234,

I've copied this question from your Intro thread S-Type forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Graham

Old 07-30-2016, 04:07 PM
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Hi
the s-type used a switch negative system
so at the lamp holder you will have a permanent 12v and when the light is switched on the earth is switched so the light comes on
you need to connect both wires to the lamp holder so it will work
is you have connected the earth to the car body for the drl the light will come straight on
you need to connect both wire to the lamp holder
cheers
joe

Old 07-31-2016, 04:57 PM
Default Apollo DRL,s

Hi,Joedotcom, not sure i understand.I have the Black earth to the body, and following the instructions supplied spliced in to the live feeding the sidelight.
I did not know but know now, that there are two types of Apollo lights with two different wiring instructions.DO i need to spice into both sidelight live feeds.
Are you saying i need to connect both live and negative to the live sidelight,

My tech regarding electrics is zero.
Thank you very much for your help.
Kevo1234

Old 07-31-2016, 05:06 PM

Hi Joedotcom, tell me how would i splice both live and negative into the one sidelight live feed,is there a special scotch lock to facilitate three wires .
Thank you for your ongoing support.
Kevo1234

Old 07-31-2016, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 597 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by kevo1234
Hi,Joedotcom, not sure i understand.I have the Black earth to the body, and following the instructions supplied spliced in to the live feeding the sidelight.
I did not know but know now, that there are two types of Apollo lights with two different wiring instructions.DO i need to spice into both sidelight live feeds.
Are you saying i need to connect both live and negative to the live sidelight,

My tech regarding electrics is zero.
Thank you very much for your help.
Kevo1234
defiantly do not splice pos and neg fog light wires to the pos side light wiring !
by side light do you mean park light ?

i have theese apollo LED fogs with halo rings .

as you can see they have two sets of wires also . the LED,s are wired to the original fog light wires .but you can have them run off high beam or low beam . but you will want a switch as these are too bright for on coming traffic to have to deal with ! hence mine are on the fog switch and the halo ring is wired to the park light wires . i strongly suggest getting the wires soldered at the splice with heat shrink insulation like this -

so when i put the park lights on the halo,s glow in addition to park lighting i can flik the fog button and the LED,S fire up .

Old 07-31-2016, 10:44 PM
Default DRL,s

Hi Joedotcom,i have fitted my Apollo lights replacing the old fog lights,each lamp has a plug to plug onto the supplied new wiring.I only have the earth and the positive, again new wiring ,also a red scotch splicer to splice into the parking light.When you say the two wires must fit to the lamp, the only wires i have are the earth and the live.I think i am just not smart enough to figure it out.The wiring instructions
with the kit bypasses the old fog light loom completely. The lights i have are
different from those in your pictures.
Many thanks,
kevo1234.

Old 07-31-2016, 10:57 PM

HI Joedotcom, i have a white wire to relay in fuse box,black to earth and yellow spliced
to parking lights,i know the white should go to the battery, but that is too far away in the boot.
Many thanks.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:02 AM
Veteran Member

ok i thought you had the hi beam low beam ones . really need to see a pic of your wiring digram . you could just wire them to the park light or the fog light plug . the way your doing it sounds complicated .

Old 08-01-2016, 01:46 AM
Veteran Member

i found this, seems self explanatory , i also simplified it some what!

. Secure the AUTOMATIC SWITCHING UNIT (RLFK400) to a suitable position inside the engine compartment, using the self tapping screws and the adhesive pads provided. First clean the surface to be used with the wipe supplied. Ensure the lamp is away from any heat source or moving parts.
2. Connect the white connectors from both DRL lamps tothe white connectr coming from the AUTOMATIC SWITCHING UNIT.
Daytime Running Lights
3. OptionA,(recommended)DRLwiring-Connect the orange to the vehicle side park light circuit using the blue scotch lock provided. (ID SOLDER IT) (Check vehicle handbook for the appropriate wire color). (or use the photo i provided above .).
If fitted as Daytime Running Lights the lamps will be ON when the engine is running and OFF whenever the vehicle sidelights are turned on. (See wiring option A)
Position Lights (Optional)
4. Option B, (optional) i deleted this because the lights will not dim for night use this way .
5. Connect the red wire from the AUTOMATIC SWITCHING UNIT to the red positive terminal on the vehicle battery. or a ignition positive in the fuse box or relay box
6. Connect the ,negative terminal on the vehicle battery or another suitable earth point.
7. Secure the cables using the cable ties supplied. Ensure all electrical components and wiring is away from any heat source or moving parts.
8. Replace any fuses removed.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:57 AM
Default DRL,s

Hi datsports, the kit did not come with automatic switch.
many thanks.

Old 08-02-2016, 07:25 PM
Default DRL,s

Thanks for all your help guys but i think its off to see the auto spark.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have just purchased a set of DRL(halo)/FOG(led) lights to replace existing fog lights on a 2004 x204 s-type. Sounds much the same setup as Andys 03 STR, supercharged rocket ship above. I would like DRL's to turn on when engine is running only, i don't want to turn them on/off (parkers) each time i get in/out of car. Can someone tell me exactly where i should connect the Red/Black wires, i also have a yellow wire which should turn off the DRL's when i turn headlamps on, it say's connect to headlights. also any idea's where to get electrical diagram for 2004 s-type, Thanks.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry that should say x202 s-type in post #13