S-Type / S type R Supercharged V8 ( X200 ) 1999 - 2008 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 S-Type V8 Serpentine Belt Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 03:26 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 2006 S-Type V8 Serpentine Belt Replacement

Its time to replace my V8 serpentine belt, idler and tensioner. What is the procedure and bits I need to strip off to get at the belt. Looks like a %^&% pig to get at.

So far I'm thinking that the front wheel well liners need to come out to get access. Any advise will be appreciated.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 597 Likes on 473 Posts

no they are easy as ,remove the plastic headlight / radiator cover. remove the intake pipe . then remove the cold air intake for the air box , and reach down the gap with a 1/4'' ratchet or breaker bar and detention the tensioner . some don't have the 1/4'' hole just use a socket on the tensioner pulley bolt.

it helps to remove the header tank but if you fumble around enough you will achieve it any ways .
remove the belt and thread another in this pattern

it is easy enough to remove the tensioner and idler once the belt is out of the way. depending on your milage and wether or not you plan to remove the expansion tank , then now would also be a good time for a new water pump , new antifreeze and a new thermostat . once all back together
then let the tensioner go . job done .

Last edited by Datsports; 08-01-2016 at 11:04 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:43 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks very much for the info. I will take your advise and replace the water pump and thermostat at the same time. The current antifreeze is the Yellow OAT stuff that Ford/Jaguar used. I have used Zerex G-05 in the past, is this still the right stuff or is the pink stuff from Jaguar better.

Old 08-02-2016, 01:46 PM
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Check the Thermostat housing.

Originally Posted by Gerry755
Thanks very much for the info. I will take your advise and replace the water pump and thermostat at the same time.
If you are going that far, then check the thermostat housing, where the Thermostat sits. The seat the thermostat sits on, tends to crack and drop off causing recycle of the coolant and overheating. You don,t have this yet but worth looking into when you open it up.

If you find it cracked, then when changing it out replace the rubber coolant pipe water pump to throttle body.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 597 Likes on 473 Posts

It should be oringe / red oats , do a thorough flush with water , disconnect the heater supply pipe and push fresh water through the matrix as well ! Be thorough with your flush , and don't mix antifreeze types.