F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does the climate control system work? Is there rhyme or reason, or is it random?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 06:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 259 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by ek993
I don't believe that is correct. The vent raises and closes when the system detects it is needed - even with AC enabled.

If the cabin is hot the vent raises to add extra cooling then lowers once the temp has dropped and it needs to maintain a constant temp.

In the winter the vent remains closed even though the AC is on (in auto mode).
Correct, it works well and maintains a comfortable setting on Auto... read the manual.
Lawrence

Old 08-09-2016, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts

I don't believe that is correct. The vent raises and closes when the system detects it is needed - even with AC enabled.

If the cabin is hot the vent raises to add extra cooling then lowers once the temp has dropped and it needs to maintain a constant temp.

I think that is just a matter of interpretation. With A/C enabled it will raise the center went when cooling is neccessary, and it will close/stay closed when cooling is not neccessary.

So some will say the A/C is off (inactive) when cooling is not neccessary, and I think that is just a matter of the definition of what is the A/C function and what is "standard ventilation system" without the A/C cooling function activated.

But what you say about the function is (allmost) correct, as it will also raise the center vent again if some additional cooling is neccessary to maintain a constant temp

Last edited by Arne; 08-09-2016 at 06:29 AM.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:13 AM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

Guys, the correct way to vacate the hot air from the car is to put the top down. It's amazing how fast the 150 degree air vanishes. On really nasty days and stuck in traffic, I might turn on the AC with the top down. For that to work I use manual mode so that the fan isn't on high all of the time. All I need is the occasional cool breeze and a low fan setting does that.

With the top up, Auto mode works perfectly. Set it and forget it.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dogbreath!:
SinF (08-09-2016), Uncle Fishbits (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 211 Likes on 157 Posts

The vent knows what the date is?
what if the car is in Brazil?

Jeez

Old 08-09-2016, 09:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 593 Likes on 362 Posts

It is entirely logical and reproducible once you understand how it reacts to different inputs. That bit is not immediately obvious though.

From TOPIx:

When the climate control system is operating, the center face vents open when:
• Face distribution is selected
• Face and feet distribution is selected and comfort algorithms in the ATCM determine that face air is required
• AUTO mode is selected and comfort algorithms in the ATCM determine that face air is required.

The center face vents close when:
• Demist, foot/demist or foot distribution is selected
• AUTO mode is selected and comfort algorithms in the ATCM determine that face air is not required.

My notes - ATCM is the Automatic Temperature Control Module. It uses inputs from the user/touch screen, ambient air sensor, sunload sensor and polution sensors to control the temperature, position and volume of air required. You can force the vents to stay open using the touch screen. Demist will automatically turn on the AC to dry the air (you don't want to blow damp air onto the glass, that defeats the purpose!)

I've attached the "Climate Control - Control Components" pages from TOPIx to this post as it explains how the system determines the outputs towards the end.

Attached Files
The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by xdave
It is entirely logical and reproducible once you understand how it reacts to different inputs. That bit is not immediately obvious though.

From TOPIx:

• Face and feet distribution is selected and comfort algorithms in the ATCM determine that face air is required
• AUTO mode is selected and comfort algorithms in the ATCM determine that face air is required.

• AUTO mode is selected and comfort algorithms in the ATCM determine that face air is not required.

My notes - ATCM is the Automatic Temperature Control Module. It uses inputs from the user/touch screen, ambient air sensor, sunload sensor and polution sensors to control the temperature, position and volume of air required. You can force the vents to stay open using the touch screen. Demist will automatically turn on the AC to dry the air (you don't want to blow damp air onto the glass, that defeats the purpose!)

I've attached the "Climate Control - Control Components" pages from TOPIx to this post as it explains how the system determines the outputs towards the end.
Well thanks for this Dave. I guess it's the "if ATCM determines..." that causes the system to operate with a mind of it's own. I guess, in fact, that if it is "determining" it literally has a mind. I never thought to go to the touch screen to get the vents to raise and lower manually. I'll try that. But I tell you - this is an engineering snafu. You've got A/C Auto defrost toggles and dials all across the console. It is ridiculous to also have a whole different set of controls in the touch window. Is there another car on earth with two different independent sets of climate controls, one analog, one digital?

Retarded.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 08-09-2016 at 09:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Uncle Fishbits (08-09-2016)
Old 08-09-2016, 10:22 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by polarisnavyxj
The vent knows what the date is?
what if the car is in Brazil?

Jeez
Then I said Winter I meant that when it is cold out and auto is selected the AC is on but the vent stays closed. The vent raising / lowering is not just a function of AC being on or off. AC can be on and the vent can be closed.

When I got into the car this morning the vent raised immediately and fans blasted cold air through the cabin trying to get the car down to the temp I had selected - it was on auto.

Old 08-09-2016, 10:23 AM
Received 182 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Arne
I think that is just a matter of interpretation. With A/C enabled it will raise the center went when cooling is neccessary, and it will close/stay closed when cooling is not neccessary.

So some will say the A/C is off (inactive) when cooling is not neccessary, and I think that is just a matter of the definition of what is the A/C function and what is "standard ventilation system" without the A/C cooling function activated.

But what you say about the function is (allmost) correct, as it will also raise the center vent again if some additional cooling is neccessary to maintain a constant temp
I think the AC can be engaged with the vent closed. On cold damp days the vent will stay closed but the interior remains dehumidified - indicating AC is on.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Anecdotal, but I am pretty confident that the center vent automatically goes down when you turn on "HI" cooling, as the "hi" position seems to redirect all forced air into the leg blower. I am also pretty confident that the center vent will go down when some manner of defrost is turned on? I am going to test it in a few and try to freaking remember. lol

Old 08-09-2016, 12:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Well thanks for this Dave. I guess it's the "if ATCM determines..." that causes the system to operate with a mind of it's own. I guess, in fact, that if it is "determining" it literally has a mind. I never thought to go to the touch screen to get the vents to raise and lower manually. I'll try that. But I tell you - this is an engineering snafu. You've got A/C Auto defrost toggles and dials all across the console. It is ridiculous to also have a whole different set of controls in the touch window. Is there another car on earth with two different independent sets of climate controls, one analog, one digital?

Retarded.
AI knows what we want. Just wait til they pipe in our internet search history and purchase history. lol

I've mainly used that touchscreen for controlling the flow and vents. I note that both face and feet on high cooling will produce a weird "struggling" vent sound likely due to a flap or some other technical word that I do not know.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:26 PM
Received 402 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by xdave

From TOPIx:

Damn it you beat me to it! Basically the center vents will operate if needed if set on AUTO

Old 08-09-2016, 12:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Nati
Maybe there is something wrong with your system.
+1. My vent is always up when the hot car needs to be cooled at start-up.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Dogbreath!
Guys, the correct way to vacate the hot air from the car is to put the top down.
Good point. MBourne offered me his Jaws-of-life for such purposes.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
+1. My vent is always up when the hot car needs to be cooled at start-up.
Yep. Plus system works rather well by pumping cold air right away.

You can lower windows down while outside by holding down unlock button.

I also put sun screen, had to pay Jag for OEM one due to weird shape. Plus white interior doesn't heat up that much.

That is, I, for one, have zero complaints about F-type heating&cooling.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Good point. MBourne offered me his Jaws-of-life for such purposes.
Your lack of planning when purchasing the wrong type of F-type is noted.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SinF
Your lack of planning when purchasing the wrong type of F-type is noted.

lol

Old 08-09-2016, 01:08 PM
Veteran Member
Default There mere fact that we have two pages so far

dedicated to trying to explain when the center vents deploy is sheer ridiculousness.

No one should have to refer to RTFM to work the temperature.

We own a F-Type. We are all car guys. Were not soccer moms in an Astrovan. We have owned and operated several cars in the past.

We should not need to tutor each other on how to use an air conditioner.

Either the point is that ATCM is some new high tech 2016 technology that we all need to get used to because it is the cutting edge of how CC systems will work moving forward or this entire system is a haphazard mess.

It has to be one or the other. I'm willing to relearn a new system that is outside of what is logical but please tell me what is better about it and why it is different rather than what the manual says it does.

Call me "old school", but in my opinion, A CC system works like this...You set the desired temperature, the car determines the ambient temperature, then the car turns on the system to reach the target, Simple. There should also be a Max switch to rapidly override the thermostat and max cool (or heat) the car in the case of extreme conditions. Thats it, thats all.

We have an "auto" toggle. I'm assuming this sets CC on and off. I get that.
We have an A/C toggle. Not sure what this is for but lets assume the car is say a degree hotter than you want and you want to cool off with fan only without A/C. OK i guess theres that use.
We have a vent that goes up and down, that isn't really tied into the desired temp.
And on top of all this we have digital controls in the touch screen that either override or work in conjunction with the analog toggles and dials.

Really?

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 08-09-2016 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:36 PM
jf1
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Call me "old school", but in my opinion, A CC system works like this...You set the desired temperature, the car determines the ambient temperature, then the car turns on the system to reach the target, Simple. There should also be a Max switch to rapidly override the thermostat and max cool (or heat) the car in the case of extreme conditions. Thats it, thats all.
Hmm, mine works even better: The "max" mode is automatic when the disparity between requested and ambient temp is high.

All i ever need to do for perfect interior temp:
- Press the center physical knob to turn HVAC on or off (generally top down vs up)
- Turn the left knob ever so slightly to set the desired temp somewhere between 68-71 as needed

Not sure what is up with yours but this car has had the most hands off approach to HVAC I've ever seen. I've only seen the climate touch screen a couple times and never found any reason to adjust the vent settings there.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jf1
Hmm, mine works even better: The "max" mode is automatic when the disparity between requested and ambient temp is high.

All i ever need to do for perfect interior temp:
- Press the center physical knob to turn HVAC on or off (generally top down vs up)
- Turn the left knob ever so slightly to set the desired temp somewhere between 68-71 as needed

Not sure what is up with yours but this car has had the most hands off approach to HVAC I've ever seen. I've only seen the climate touch screen a couple times and never found any reason to adjust the vent settings there.
Perhaps there is something wrong with mine. When I first start my car in the mid day heat, with A/C and AUTO on from the previous day, the car doesn't blow hard cold like its rapidly trying to cool off the cabin. The A/C trickles in as if its in a comfort mode and the vent console stays down. This is why I attempt daily to get the cabin cooled off quickly when I first get in. After the temperature stabilizes, then the system is fine. It's clear to see why those of you with verts could probably care less about vacating the heat quickly for obvious reasons. I'd imagine that it's only us coupe owners that are concerned here.

Last edited by polarisnavyxj; 08-09-2016 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:01 PM
Received 402 Likes on 212 Posts

Perhaps there is something wrong with mine. When I first start my car in the mid day heat, with A/C and AUTO on from the previous day, the car doesn't blow hard cold like its rapidly trying to cool off the cabin. The A/C trickles in as if its in a comfort mode and the vent console stays down.
Do you turn the temperature all the way down until it displays "LO" when you first start up the system? Or do you leave it at the previous temperature?

Quick Reply: How does the climate control system work? Is there rhyme or reason, or is it random?