XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Mina Exhaust or Muffler Delete

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 06:18 AM
Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a Mina on my 2012 XFR. It's the perfect setup.

I get compliments all the time. A bit loud on the inside but perfect on the oustide!

The following users liked this post:
cyndav6875 (08-23-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

does anyone have any instructions (hopefully with pics) on how to remove the silencers from stock exhaust?

for those that have done it, have you noticed a difference in sound?

Old 09-12-2016, 05:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,273 Likes on 2,415 Posts

Depends on what you mean by "silencers".
The stock XFR exhaust has three sets of "silencers", a central muffler, a central resonator, and a pair of rear mufflers, see this pic:

If, as I suspect, you are talking about the rear mufflers, then they are quite easy to remove. The front ends are attached to the pipes using clamps with a 15 mm nut and bolt (#10 in the pic), undo the nut to loosen the clamp. You will need a long shank socket or a pass through socket as the shaft of the bolt is quite long. Undo the pair of 10 mm bolts holding the central brackets (just at the front of the mufflers) and remove the brackets. Grab some lube (I use WD40) and spray the rubber hangers up under the rear bumper (#6 in the pic).
Then grab a pry bar and push the hangers off the mounting posts. Now twist the mufflers downwards (they might even fall by themselves) and pull them out. You may need to coax them out of the pipes where they were clamped, those spots can get a bit gummed up, I find a bit of WD40 and a tap on the pipe with a hammer does the trick.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

You're going to need to be more specific if you want good responses

Old 09-12-2016, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
You're going to need to be more specific if you want good responses
I resemble that remark, I thought my response was pretty good!
Even if it turns out not to be what the OP was after.

Old 09-12-2016, 09:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 206 Likes on 189 Posts

thanks! yes i meant muffler silencers. my apologies, I didnt realize there were 3 different silencers. i thought it was just one in the muffler

im going to have to spend some time under my car tomorrow since im not too familiar with the piping

Old 09-12-2016, 10:10 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by carzaddict
thanks! yes i meant muffler silencers. my apologies, I didnt realize there were 3 different silencers. i thought it was just one in the muffler

im going to have to spend some time under my car tomorrow since im not too familiar with the piping
The rear mufflers are easy to see and to get at, but the front muffler and resonator are covered by an undertray which you will need to remove if you want to study them. It can be done with jacks and axle stands but you have to make like a snake and it's way easier with the car up on a hoist, not to mention safer.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
I resemble that remark, I thought my response was pretty good!
Even if it turns out not to be what the OP was after.
OZ, your response was very thorough and informative as usual. Good guess as to what he wanted.

I've performed a variety of resonator deletes/modifications and didn't know how to answer the OP's question about sound since I didn't know what he wanted to change.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:35 PM
Veteran Member

OZ, your response was very thorough and informative as usual. Good guess as to what he wanted.

I've performed a variety of resonator deletes/modifications and didn't know how to answer the OP's question about sound since I didn't know what he wanted to change.
Don't stress, I was only josh'n!

Old 09-13-2016, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Don't stress, I was only josh'n!
I know! Sarcasm doesn't always translate to the written word as well as we would like it to.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:11 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm thinking about same thing not sure whether to get the Mina or see if there's a worthwhile mod to do? The stock exhausts really don't have enough bite I'd like it to sound like the XKR sport exhaust..

Old 09-13-2016, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by webshark
I'm thinking about same thing not sure whether to get the Mina or see if there's a worthwhile mod to do? The stock exhausts really don't have enough bite I'd like it to sound like the XKR sport exhaust..
Since you met up with Anthony, I know you're local. Maybe we could set up a time for you to hear my setup? I haven't heard his since the Mina upgrade, but I heard another a few years ago. Definitely different. PM me if that's something you're interested in doing.

Old 09-13-2016, 08:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Since you met up with Anthony, I know you're local. Maybe we could set up a time for you to hear my setup? I haven't heard his since the Mina upgrade, but I heard another a few years ago. Definitely different. PM me if that's something you're interested in doing.
Would love to! Where are you based? He was telling me about your set up also! So you didn't change the exhaust? Pm me your number, cheers man!

Old 10-01-2016, 12:41 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Since everyone is posting their Exhaust Sound Video Clips, I think I'll post mine too. I decided to go with a Muffler Delete on My XFR-S, debating whether or not to go with the Milltek Catback or Just the High Flow Cats.

P.S Dont mind my friends voice LOL

Old 10-01-2016, 08:22 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mina axle back and resonator delete. I wouldn't do it any differently if I could do it all over again.

Old 10-01-2016, 02:17 PM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Saeed XFRS.......the XF-RS has no center silencers just an X pipe...........so by the rear Muffler delete do you mean the two rear boxes??? So you have NO silencers!! Sounds bloody mental by the way!!!

Old 10-01-2016, 04:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by damienedwards
Saeed XFRS.......the XF-RS has no center silencers just an X pipe...........so by the rear Muffler delete do you mean the two rear boxes??? So you have NO silencers!! Sounds bloody mental by the way!!!
Hahaha, yea that's basically what I did, but I just call it a muffler Delete. I really appreciate your opinion on the sound of my car

Old 10-01-2016, 05:10 PM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Its a UK thing......we call the back boxes silemcers and the center boxes resonators......cheers for the clips......think I may be changing my exhaust set up!!!

Old 10-01-2016, 09:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry I'm so pissed off!!!

I need help, I have a 09 xf sc, I had the middle boxes removed(silencers, resonators?) I had replaced with straight pipe to rear stock boxes, sounds great outside, but terrible inside while cruising, is this drone everyone is talking about?? Please advise.
The exhaust shop is shipping my middle boxes back, should I have reinstalled with x-pipe or replace rear stock boxes with magnaflows or another universal muffler someone could recommend? sorry so long but I pissed and rambling...Thanks so much

Old 10-01-2016, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cyndav6875
I need help, I have a 09 xf sc, I had the middle boxes removed(silencers, resonators?) I had replaced with straight pipe to rear stock boxes, sounds great outside, but terrible inside while cruising, is this drone everyone is talking about?? Please advise.
The exhaust shop is shipping my middle boxes back, should I have reinstalled with x-pipe or replace rear stock boxes with magnaflows or another universal muffler someone could recommend? sorry so long but I pissed and rambling...Thanks so much
See post #83 above in this thread. In most exhaust systems the resonator is used to reduce drone to an acceptable level, so without one you risk drone. The resonator is part #5 in that thread, I recommend you re-install it. I chopped out the central muffler (just before the resonator) and replaced it with an H-pipe, but I left the resonator in place. I also swapped out the stock rear mufflers for straight-through hi-flo mufflers, and whilst the car sounded great from the outside and under WOT from the inside, it droned badly and was a bit too loud under light throttle pressure. I re-installed the stock rear mufflers and that cured the drone, although it didn't sound quite so dramatic.
I'm happy with the way it sounds now, better/deeper than stock but still quite civilised and no drone whatsover.

The following users liked this post:
cyndav6875 (10-01-2016)

Quick Reply: Mina Exhaust or Muffler Delete