Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you help create our "image"?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 08:09 AM
Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by James Tootle
This is a weird thread.
+1 I didn't buy my F-Type to be part of any group or to have a label placed on me. I purchased it because it appealed to me on a number of visceral levels. I drive it like my other vehicles when traffic calls for it, I park it alone like I do my other vehicles to avoid dings, I drive it "aggressively" when I think I can let it out without paying consequences for doing so. If I wanted to max its performance I would track it but I don't have the need for that.

I appreciate the comments, smiles, waves, etc that I get although here in NJ they are not all that often as many people seem absorbed in other things in life and unless they are a car buff they just think it's someone driving an expensive car and they see that all the time. It's like my Harley..I get a lot of compliments from Harley or other mc owners but the average non biker doesn't give a second thought.

So for me, I'm glad I could afford my F-Type, I'm glad I purchased my F-Type and I'm glad I can drive my F-Type regardless of what other people may think or not. Being on this forum is probably the closest I'll get to being in an F-Type group. Others may find more enjoyment in numbers and that's fine if it works for them.

Once again the value of this forum are the thought provoking postings although some are more "original" than others. Wow, am I a PC person! :-) JMHO.

The following users liked this post:
James Tootle (09-24-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 08:11 AM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by IronMike
Wait one second here... I resemble that remark!!!
Hey, IronMike, "pompous jerks" was Uncle Fishbit's expression, not mine. I was just quoting him.

It was one of the categories in which he "would not allow" F-Type drivers to be classified. He wants us to be seen as "sophisticated."

Old 09-24-2016, 08:17 AM
Received 178 Likes on 107 Posts

I've heard that it is good to be bad...

Old 09-24-2016, 08:28 AM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Whatever image you wish to portray, be it villainous, gin and tonic swilling, bad ***, sophisticated or just something a little bit different, under NO circumstances become a c0ckwomble and start painting cars like this.....

It's called a ''Special Edition''...Mmmm very special!

Any street-cred will definitely be blown :-)

Last edited by Tel; 09-24-2016 at 08:30 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Tel:
BostonKiller (09-29-2016), James Tootle (09-24-2016), schraderade (09-24-2016), Uncle Fishbits (09-25-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 08:40 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Gsp

I appreciate the comments, smiles, waves, etc that I get although here in NJ they are not all that often as many people seem absorbed in other things in life and unless they are a car buff they just think it's someone driving an expensive car and they see that all the time. It's like my Harley..I get a lot of compliments from Harley or other mc owners but the average non biker doesn't give a second thought.

Once again the value of this forum are the thought provoking postings although some are more "original" than others. Wow, am I a PC person! :-) JMHO.
I can't believe you drive a Harley, clearly everyone knows Indians are where it's at

99Gsp (09-25-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 08:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

I can't believe you drive a Harley, clearly everyone knows Indians are where it's at
You are, of course, referring to the real Indians (pre '54).

James Tootle (09-24-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 09:10 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
You are, of course, referring to the real Indians (pre '54).
Of course not! Pre '22.

Old 09-24-2016, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Of course not! Pre '22.
Of course, pardon me!

Old 09-24-2016, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
I really dislike 'check privilege' nonsense. This is part of victimhood culture and I don't subscribe to it.
I couldnt disagree more.
This line of argument has been used to justify Roman slavery, Indian castes, apartheid, and all manner of bigotry throughout history.

The F-Type itself is a product of intensive design restraint, and a Jaguar took enormous pains to create a restrained personality with the brand ("Good to be bad", but the villains in the ads wore impeccable suits).

A sense of restraint is I think core to the Jaguar brand and that seems more consistent with being civil on the road than driving like a privileged entitled douchebag.

Uncle Fishbits (09-25-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 05:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Aren't Jaguar owners " beyond reproach"?

Old 09-25-2016, 09:35 AM
Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Greggbhill
I've heard that it is good to be bad...
That is very true!

Attached Thumbnails How do you help create our "image"?-1023151428-1-1.jpg  
Old 09-25-2016, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Frenchy, I believe you are over-thinking this. In a perfect world, it would be nice if we weren't lumped in with the image of the BMW and Acura drivers.
Wow this thread got awesome weird. LOL So I post under this simple comment....

Yes, people are overthinking it, in some really bizarre insecure-riddled ways. I am *NOT* judging any of you... I am just saying cars and their drivers inadvertently heap stereotypes on themselves. It happens.

And the whole comment of "I don't like victimhood culture"??? It must be truly glorious to not be a victim. Sounds like privilege. LOL

Don't take yourselves so seriously.

I was asking if you were nice drivers like that Audi commercial made light of, and some of you start making ad hominem attacks or start talking about your political values.

Frenchy... my pop says I have to use less presumptive language because it brings the liberterians out of the woodworks. I misspoke... I am not telling anyone to do anything, I am not weilding a torch and leading a band of marauders to force other drivers to behave a certain way.... but schraderade's comment sort of nails it.

I was just curious if we're the Mustang at cars and coffee trying to peel out and crash every week, or we're just a bunch of guys that are nice and enjoy our car. Pardon my lack of deliberate language.

Last edited by Uncle Fishbits; 09-25-2016 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by schraderade
I couldnt disagree more.
This line of argument has been used to justify Roman slavery, Indian castes, apartheid, and all manner of bigotry throughout history.

The F-Type itself is a product of intensive design restraint, and a Jaguar took enormous pains to create a restrained personality with the brand ("Good to be bad", but the villains in the ads wore impeccable suits).

A sense of restraint is I think core to the Jaguar brand and that seems more consistent with being civil on the road than driving like a privileged entitled douchebag.
Great comment. Typically the people who aren't victims are afforded the privilege of saying that. It's straight up the literal definition of confirmation bias riddled privilege to say "I'm not comfortable with socio-political complexities, so I will blame the people bringing up the issues, or ignore it". I wasn't going to say anything, but that bothered me, and I wasn't the one that brought up political nonsense.

But back to this specific car and my question.... to not recognize, whether Mommy handed you a check or we all worked for this car for a long time, that we're pretty lucky to be driving this stunning car, is myopic. Whether you like the fact other people are involved in grouping and stereotyping cars, they do it. I didn't mean to say *I* was going to start some "nicey-nice F-type driver club" or force people to do anything... but that's a misdirection, a red herring, an ad hominem, and CERTAINLY re-actively over-thinking this is some weird insecure realm.

"Are you a nice driver" would have been a better way to phrase the question. Sorry to press some hot buttons out there. I hate hot buttons.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Last edited by Uncle Fishbits; 09-25-2016 at 12:48 PM.
schraderade (09-25-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by zmoothg
I am a black 32 year-old in a F-type, I am sure I am setting no stereotypes for F-type owners. And this is a super weird thread. Like a thread started on a drunken lonely light.
This is poetry. LOL

zmoothg (09-27-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
And the whole comment of "I don't like victimhood culture"??? It must be truly glorious to not be a victim.
It is glorious. You know how I got there? By moving on, learning from my mistakes and not letting bad events define you. The concept of privilege is passive-aggressive attack on success and successful people. Never-do-wells feel that successful people somehow stole it from them and they are now entitled to receive social compensation. Unfortunately, many subscribe to this nonsense, they even invented concept of intersectionality, where individuals establish social status along fellow *-ism members based on collecting/inventing disadvantages and discriminations.

The following 2 users liked this post by SinF:
BostonKiller (09-29-2016), mptx-ftype (09-25-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 09:29 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
Great comment. Typically the people who aren't victims are afforded the privilege of saying that. It's straight up the literal definition of confirmation bias riddled privilege to say "I'm not comfortable with socio-political complexities, so I will blame the people bringing up the issues, or ignore it". I wasn't going to say anything, but that bothered me, and I wasn't the one that brought up political nonsense.

But back to this specific car and my question.... to not recognize, whether Mommy handed you a check or we all worked for this car for a long time, that we're pretty lucky to be driving this stunning car, is myopic. Whether you like the fact other people are involved in grouping and stereotyping cars, they do it. I didn't mean to say *I* was going to start some "nicey-nice F-type driver club" or force people to do anything... but that's a misdirection, a red herring, an ad hominem, and CERTAINLY re-actively over-thinking this is some weird insecure realm.

"Are you a nice driver" would have been a better way to phrase the question. Sorry to press some hot buttons out there. I hate hot buttons.

And that's all I have to say about that.
You started with a fair point and took a sharp detour into utter nonsense. I too hope our small club maintains a good reputation and do my part to that end. Speak for yourself only as to luck; years of busting my *** is the reason I get to drive this beautiful machine (un-douche-ily, assuredly).

The following 3 users liked this post by mptx-ftype:
BostonKiller (09-29-2016), James Tootle (09-25-2016), Uncle Fishbits (09-28-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 09:34 PM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Haven't cared much for the ensuing hoohaa, but appreciated Uncle Fishbits original post. How are F-type owners perceived relative to drivers of other models/marques?

What first came to mind was when I brought my car to be detailed and get Xpel and tint installed right after taking delivery. The proprietor, Roberto, was quite taken with the car, the first one he'd seen up close. When I looked into his shop area I commented on a nice Ferrari 308 GTC in for detailing. He said he works on plenty of Ferraris, Porsches, Bentleys, Maseratis, etc. But, he said, he will not work on a Lamborghini. I chuckled at the idea of ruling out the whole make. He said "it's not funny." To paraphrase him, "Lamborghini owners expect to go to the front of the line, make insane demands, have huge egos, are inconsiderate, too much trouble," and on and on.

I know or have met owners of many high end cars, and I think there is a Lambo owner "type." Most strike me as good folks but I've also met a fair number who seemed like jerks. Not to justify it, but I can sort of see how Roberto could arrive at his generalization.

I tend to agree with Fishbits and whether you care about it or not, your car bestows an image. Of Corvettes, Jay Leno said "you know, the nice thing about driving one is that no one gives you the finger." Where is the F-type owner on the finger-meter?

Uncle Fishbits (09-28-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 10:01 PM
Received 123 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel
Whatever image you wish to portray, be it villainous, gin and tonic swilling, bad ***, sophisticated or just something a little bit different, under NO circumstances become a c0ckwomble and start painting cars like this.....

Hey, I just dig the term "cockwomble." It's like a pejorative to save for special occasions....

Old 09-26-2016, 12:44 PM
Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Tel

That's a pretty car!

I wouldn't mind driving that glorious abomination. Unfortunately, I seem to be adverse to making any sort of mods on my cars.

As to the thread topic:
I've never thought about it. I'm young and I like to keep it loud, so, yeah...

Old 09-26-2016, 03:39 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts

This has been a surprisingly interesting thread to read. Got me thinking about how I drive my car. I tend to be far less aggressive in it than I am in my A3 3.2. Likely because, as a Purple car, it would be pretty easy to find but then again it may be because I'm channeling my inner aristocrat.

Quick Reply: How do you help create our "image"?