XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

In denial about the need for New Callipers

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 398 Likes on 302 Posts

If the flexible brake lines haven't been replaced, I would HIGHLY recommend that you do so before spending money on the calipers you replaced 16 years ago.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (09-24-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 09:01 AM
Received 629 Likes on 396 Posts

Also, before you remove the calipers, take out the brake pads, and substitute a paint stir stick between each caliper piston and the disc. Step on the brakes, and that will force the pistons out further. If you still cannot retract the pistons, try loosening the bleed nipple and try retracting them again with the nipple still open. If they retract easily then, your flexible brake line has collapsed inside, and is acting as a one way valve. Replace the hoses. If you caliper doesn't leak brake fluid, and the pistons retract and move out ok with the paint sticks in place, just flush the old fluid out. If your pistons still won't retract after trying to exercise them as above, replace/rebuild them.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,769 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by jal1234
Also, before you remove the calipers, take out the brake pads, and substitute a paint stir stick between each caliper piston and the disc. Step on the brakes, and that will force the pistons out further. If you still cannot retract the pistons, try loosening the bleed nipple and try retracting them again with the nipple still open. If they retract easily then, your flexible brake line has collapsed inside, and is acting as a one way valve. Replace the hoses. If you caliper doesn't leak brake fluid, and the pistons retract and move out ok with the paint sticks in place, just flush the old fluid out. If your pistons still won't retract after trying to exercise them as above, replace/rebuild them.
Hi Jal

I love that idea, I will give it a shot.

Can I use Copper Grease to lubricate the Pistons?

Old 09-24-2016, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,016 Likes on 2,004 Posts

OB,

Once the pistons are pushed out further, carefully peel back the boots and see if thh sides of the pistons are corroded / rusty. If they are then just rebuild the calipers with new pistons or buy new calipers.

We don't need to tell you not to try and retract those pistons with the nipple closed!

Also, use proper brake caliper grease (it's red).

Good luck

Paul

Old 09-24-2016, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
OB,

Once the pistons are pushed out further, carefully peel back the boots and see if thh sides of the pistons are corroded / rusty. If they are then just rebuild the calipers with new pistons or buy new calipers.

We don't need to tell you not to try and retract those pistons with the nipple closed!

Also, use proper brake caliper grease (it's red).

Good luck

Paul
Hi Paul

I'm ordering a Repair Kit, which should be with me by Tuesday but tomorrow I'll check the Pistons and see what they are like.

Also I won't forget to open the bleeder! (LOl)

Old 09-24-2016, 04:33 PM
Received 629 Likes on 396 Posts

You shouldn't use any grease on the outside of the pistons themselves. The brake fluid lubricates them. Any foreign substance can attack the rubber piston seals.

If you rebuild the calipers, there is a special lubricant that is sometimes used inside the caliper.

orangeblossom (09-25-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 943 Posts

my front XJS brakes, Wilwood aluminum calipers, EBS GOLD rotors, what ever they use rotors dont collect dust, 2 years nice gold color!

new SS flex lines all around, aluminum master cyl. also!

just saving weight!

Attached Thumbnails In denial about the need for New Callipers-corvair-jag-brakes-003.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by ronbros:
BC XJS (09-26-2016), orangeblossom (09-25-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

You shouldn't use any grease on the outside of the pistons themselves. The brake fluid lubricates them. Any foreign substance can attack the rubber piston seals.

If you rebuild the calipers, there is a special lubricant that is sometimes used inside the caliper.
There is a guy in Sydney that used to supply rebuilt Jaguar brake calipers, he told me to use copper grease during re-assembly. My brakes were done 4 years ago and are still leak and rust free.

BTW I put the grease around the outside of the piston bore, not inside the bore

Last edited by warrjon; 09-24-2016 at 07:49 PM.
orangeblossom (09-25-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Jal

Thanks, I got some.

Old 09-25-2016, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ronbros
my front XJS brakes, Wilwood aluminum calipers, EBS GOLD rotors, what ever they use rotors dont collect dust, 2 years nice gold color!

just saving weight!
Hi Ron

They look Awesome but I could probably buy another XJS for what they cost (Lol)

Old 09-25-2016, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by warrjon
There is a guy in Sydney that used to supply rebuilt Jaguar brake calipers, he told me to use copper grease during re-assembly. My brakes were done 4 years ago and are still leak and rust free.

BTW I put the grease around the outside of the piston bore, not inside the bore
Hi Warrjon

I got some of that Special Grease like Paul Recommended.

I've got the Brakes all sorted now and found out the cause of the problem.

Owing to a slight variance in After Market Brake Pad Manufacture.

The Metal Part of the Brake Pads was touching the Brake Caliper Top and Bottom and was such a tight fit that I had to drift them out of there with a round Chisel and a FBH.

Which took an hour each side.

So using a Sander I shaved a few thou off each end and now they slide in easy and the Brakes work Perfect with no Binding.

Such a Tight fit that it took an hour to drift out and the same on the other side of the Car.

After shaving a few thou of each end the Pads slip in nice and easy and the Brakes work Perfect and don't bind anymore.

ptjs1 (09-26-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,141 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Warrjon

I got some of that Special Grease like Paul Recommended.

I've got the Brakes all sorted now and found out the cause of the problem.

Owing to a slight variance in After Market Brake Pad Manufacture.

The Metal Part of the Brake Pads was touching the Brake Caliper Top and Bottom and was such a tight fit that I had to drift them out of there with a round Chisel and a FBH.

Which took an hour each side.

So using a Sander I shaved a few thou off each end and now they slide in easy and the Brakes work Perfect with no Binding.

Such a Tight fit that it took an hour to drift out and the same on the other side of the Car.

After shaving a few thou of each end the Pads slip in nice and easy and the Brakes work Perfect and don't bind anymore.
If that was all the problem was it raises another question OB, did you use the same FBH to put them in originally?

The following 2 users liked this post by baxtor:
Norri (09-25-2016), orangeblossom (09-26-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbros

just saving weight!

Wilwood calipers would be nice, but here in Australia the car would need to engineered. It took my brother 2 years to get his Mustang Shelby GT500 engineered and registered, mirror RHD conversion, Willwood brakes, coilovers, rack & pinion and T56.

They made him dyno it and then with 620RWHP made him de-tune it, brake testes consisted of track time and emergency stops from 160km/h, bearing in mind the max legal speed limit in most states is 110km/h.

orangeblossom (09-26-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,016 Likes on 2,004 Posts

OB,

Well done, looks like a good job!

The tight fit of the pads in the calipers is something that I have also experienced on the front of an XJS. It seems that the caliper housing is quite prone to corrosion accumulating on the bottom edge where the pads seat. With limited use, you end up with one or more pads getting jammed and you can also then end up with caliper pistons getting stuck and potentially a warped disc. As you say, it's a real pain when the pads get jammed!!

I would suggest that if a car gets used infrequently, its worth pulling the pads each year, cleaning the bottom ledge of the caliper where the pads sit, and also exercising the pistons to keep everything free. An easier and more enjoyable alternative is to drive the car a lot!

Paul

Old 09-26-2016, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by baxtor
If that was all the problem was it raises another question OB, did you use the same FBH to put them in originally?
That's a very good Question! (Lol)

I can't even remember what I did Yesterday, never mind 16 years ago.

So your guess is just as good as mine!

Old 09-26-2016, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
OB,

Well done, looks like a good job!

The tight fit of the pads in the calipers is something that I have also experienced on the front of an XJS. It seems that the caliper housing is quite prone to corrosion accumulating on the bottom edge where the pads seat. With limited use, you end up with one or more pads getting jammed and you can also then end up with caliper pistons getting stuck and potentially a warped disc. As you say, it's a real pain when the pads get jammed!!

I would suggest that if a car gets used infrequently, its worth pulling the pads each year, cleaning the bottom ledge of the caliper where the pads sit, and also exercising the pistons to keep everything free. An easier and more enjoyable alternative is to drive the car a lot!

Paul
Hi Paul

Cheers! You are so right.

What I have been experiencing is all the symptoms of NOT using your Car.

Stuck Injectors, Sticking Calipers, New Fuel Filter, New Fuel Pump, New Fuel Pressure Regulator, New Radiator, New Hoses, New Tyres, New Battery, New Cooling Fans, Soft Top Not Working, Immobiliser Not Working...........The list goes on.

Needless to say I won't let that happen again!

Last edited by orangeblossom; 09-27-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,960 Likes on 1,680 Posts

Absolutely, use it or lose it (your wallet!).
They do not like being ignored.
Hoping to drag mine out tomorrow after 6 weeks of non use and change the FPR; probably won't start at all.