XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 04:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,778 Likes on 2,617 Posts

Having replaced all the Spark Plugs and refitted the Injectors, She was 'Booted and Suited' and ready to go but the Engine wouldn't Start!

'Booted and Suited' and ready to go but the Engine still won't Start!
There was only one thing for it, send for Greg and Grant.

There could be a hundred reasons why the Engine won't Start, so time to call in my expert Mates in the shape of Greg and Grant, who have both forgotten more about XJS's than I will ever know.

If they can't get her going, then the Engine must be missing from the Car!

Time to Start 'Fault Finding' so 'Let the Games Begin!'

The number one Suspect being the FPR on 'B' Bank, which was only discharging a very weak stream of Fuel, so I swapped out one from my 'Parts Car' which didn't seem to make a lot of difference.

Suspect No1 the FPR

Although that seemed to improve the flow it wasn't by that much, when it should have been squirting Petrol like a demented Water Pistol.

So now it was into the Boot/Trunk to Check the Fuel Supply and while the Fuel Pump was working OK we found that the Filter was blocked.

New Fuel Filter fitted, surely She must Start now?

With a New Filter Fitted, surely She must Start now?

But then just guess what happened, The Fuel Pump went and packed up!

OMG! that was really bad news as these are so expensive they could make a grown man cry!

The price from a main dealer was around £200!

But the 'Grant' aka 'The Wizard of Oz' was right there to come to the rescue.

'Maaaaaaaaaaate' they are Generic, you can get them much cheaper than that!

Grant was absolutely right, as this type of Fuel Pump is fitted to loads of Cars so I got one off ebay for around £35 that came with a 2 year guarantee.

New 'Generic Fuel Pump' around £35 on ebay with a 2 year Guarantee.

Time to drain the Sump Tank under the Fuel Tank, I bet it must be full of 'Crud' after all this time!

Amazingly the Petrol came out Crystal Clear! but I didn't put it back in the Tank I used it in the Lawn Mower.

Time to try the New Fuel Pump and the Swapped out FPR

This time there was no mistake, it shot a Jet of Petrol out, as fast as a Fire Hose right over the Front Wing!

But She Still wouldn't Start OMG!

To be continued...........

Last edited by orangeblossom; 10-12-2016 at 02:48 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Greg in France (10-12-2016), ptjs1 (10-13-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 04:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by warrjon
The injectors have filter baskets in the top, before you put them back on it might pay to reverse flush the injectors to clean and junk from the filters.

Good work BTW.
Hi Warrjon

That's exactly what I did.

Old 10-12-2016, 05:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,035 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Hi OB,

Great job..so far!

I know what you mean about the fuel rail. I assisted another once with installing a rail. You can't believe how much quicker it is with two people!

I'm assuming that it's actually running by this morning, so I won't try and teach you to suck eggs by saying, check a cylinder, have you got fuel? have you got a spark? Is the fuel definitely fresh? etc etc. Oh, I just did!!

I'll check back later and assume there'll be a video of the big cat purring!

Cheers

Paul

The following 2 users liked this post by ptjs1:
orangeblossom (10-12-2016), paulyling (10-12-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 06:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
Hi OB,

Great job..so far!

I know what you mean about the fuel rail. I assisted another once with installing a rail. You can't believe how much quicker it is with two people!

I'm assuming that it's actually running by this morning, so I won't try and teach you to suck eggs by saying, check a cylinder, have you got fuel? have you got a spark? Is the fuel definitely fresh? etc etc. Oh, I just did!!

I'll check back later and assume there'll be a video of the big cat purring!

Cheers

Paul
Hi Paul

As I'm sure you already know, I always welcome your Comments whatever they maybe and then at least then I know if I am doing something wrong (or maybe right!)

But as far as what happened next you'll have to wait and see!

The following users liked this post:
paulyling (10-12-2016)
Old 10-12-2016, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member

The next thing that Greg and Grant told me to check was the Voltage to the Injectors, so having connected the meter to one of the Injector leads, I was getting a reading of nearly 12 volts.

Checking the Power to the Injectors 11.75 volts

Next a Check to see if the Injectors were actually working, so I took out one on 'A' Bank and then put the Injector nozzle into a glass jar.

After which I flicked the Capstan of the Throttle round, as I tried to listen for the Injectors to Click but in the event they weren't working as I couldn't hear a thing.

Not what I was hoping for it wasn't looking good, at which point Greg then told me to Clean the Plugs and Socket on the Silver Ignition box down by the Headlight Nacelle.

Although in order to do so I first had to remove it from the Car.

It looked an easy little Job but to get that box out, I had to undo a couple of bolts which only took about 4 Hours to do!

That was a PIA Job if ever there was one!

All Cleaned up and ready to go back into the Car

As too was the Plug

All Cleaned up and ready to be plugged back in.

After Cleaning the Plug and Socket of this, I then put it back in the Car and then I flicked the Capstan round again, where to my Amazement! I could hear the Injectors Click as the one that I took out started Squirting Petrol in the Jar.

After which I then put the Injector back in the manifold absolutely convinced She was going to Start but was stunned in total disbelief that even now She didn't want to go.

The next thing to check was the Spark Plugs, so following Grants instructions I took one out and earthed it up against the Throttle Capstan.

After which I turned the Engine over, where to my total dismay there was no sign of a Spark to be seen.

No Sign of a Spark anywhere!
What else could we possibly try?

Grant was not about to give up although I was starting to Panic at the thought that all our Options were starting to run out!

Which was when Grant told me to Swap over the Plugs on the Transformers, which were one on top of the other down by the Throttle Capstan.

After which I turned the Key where to my Shock and Disbelief, She Started and ran like a 'bird'!

Only to find that Disaster was just around the Corner!

To be Continued...........

Last edited by orangeblossom; 10-12-2016 at 04:22 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Grant Francis (10-13-2016), Greg in France (10-13-2016), ptjs1 (10-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 04:37 AM
Veteran Member

That Transformer problem was all down to me, as I must have got the plugs mixed up when I put all the wires back on the Engine.

But now that 'The Cat' was purring again, I was so excited that I was doing 'handstands on the lawn!' well at least I was in a metaphorical way.

Up until I noticed Smoke that was rising up from the Top of the Engine, in a way that's guaranteed to chill your Blood!

OMG! What have I done, what could be wrong with her now!

Thankfully it was nowhere near as bad as it looked, as I'd cleaned out the 'Vee' with White Spirit and this was just the residue burning off.

But even so it had that look that sort of said to me, I'm one away from bursting into Flames!

At which point I decided to Switch the Engine off, let her cool down and Start her for short periods of time, until all that Solvent had evaporated.

Although completely unknown to me, this was the work of 'The Jaguar Gods' who had just stepped in to save me from an even bigger disaster that was just minutes away.

I was so grateful to Greg and Grant, that I wanted to send them a Photo of 'The Cat' purring again but the moment I picked up my Camera it was then that it started to rain.

But I had a Plan!

Which was to set the Camera up while I was in the Garage, start the Car and take a photo and then switch her off again then run back in the Garage to stay dry until it had stopped raining.

Though as I went to switch her off I felt my heart stop beating as the 'Low Oil Light' was shining like a Laser, which left me feeling crushed and just wanting to die as that unmistakable Chill of fear descended over me.

I just didn't get it!

The Oil light went out when I started her up and I had made double sure that I had checked the Oil but as I walked round to the Front of the Car, I could feel the Blood drain from my face as when I looked down on the ground the only thing that I could see was Oil everywhere!

It took me some time to pluck up the courage to even lift up the Bonnet/Hood, as the thought of what I might find could be too much to bear, as I had a vision of a broken engine that was oozing Oil from every pore.

Though thankfully it was a burst Oil Cooler which at a couple of hundred a pop are a little bit cheaper than another Engine.

But because of the rain I'd only left her running for a minute, while I'd grabbed my Camera to take a quick Photo and so I'd inadvertently just switched her off in time.

Where by way of a Bonus, She was on my garage lifter so that I was able to get her up in the Air.

As I needed her mobile to do other stuff like check the Brakes, I took an Oil Cooler by pass pipe off my Parts Car, which the Previous Owner had specially made up, as it seemed that his Oil Cooler was leaking as well and so I also fitted this as a temporary measure.

The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Grant Francis (10-13-2016), paulyling (10-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 05:16 AM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
That Transformer problem was all down to me, as I must have got the plugs mixed up when I put all the wires back on the Engine.

But now that 'The Cat' was purring again, I was so excited that I was doing 'handstands on the lawn!' well at least I was in a metaphorical way.

Up until I noticed Smoke that was rising up from the Top of the Engine, in a way that's guaranteed to chill your Blood!

OMG! What have I done, what could be wrong with her now!

Thankfully it was nowhere near as bad as it looked, as I'd cleaned out the 'Vee' with White Spirit and this was just the residue burning off.

But even so it had that look that sort of said to me, I'm one away from bursting into Flames!

At which point I decided to Switch the Engine off, let her cool down and Start her for short periods of time, until all that Solvent had evaporated.

Although completely unknown to me, this was the work of 'The Jaguar Gods' who had just stepped in to save me from an even bigger disaster that was just minutes away.

I was so grateful to Greg and Grant, that I wanted to send them a Photo of 'The Cat' purring again but the moment I picked up my Camera it was then that it started to rain.

But I had a Plan!

Which was to set the Camera up while I was in the Garage, start the Car and take a photo and then switch her off again then run back in the Garage to stay dry until it had stopped raining.

Though as I went to switch her off I felt my heart stop beating as the 'Low Oil Light' was shining like a Laser, which left me feeling crushed and just wanting to die as that unmistakable Chill of fear descended over me.

I just didn't get it!

The Oil light went out when I started her up and I had made double sure that I had checked the Oil but as I walked round to the Front of the Car, I could feel the Blood drain from my face as when I looked down on the ground the only thing that I could see was Oil everywhere!

It took me some time to pluck up the courage to even lift up the Bonnet/Hood, as the thought of what I might find could be too much to bear, as I had a vision of a broken engine that was oozing Oil from every pore.

Though thankfully it was a burst Oil Cooler which at a couple of hundred a pop are a little bit cheaper than another Engine.

But because of the rain I'd only left her running for a minute, while I'd grabbed my Camera to take a quick Photo and so I'd inadvertently just switched her off in time.

Where by way of a Bonus, She was on my garage lifter so that I was able to get her up in the Air.

As I needed her mobile to do other stuff like check the Brakes, I took an Oil Cooler by pass pipe off my Parts Car, which the Previous Owner had specially made up, as it seemed that his Oil Cooler was leaking as well and so I also fitted this as a temporary measure.
Keep at it mate! Sometimes it's two steps forward one step back.....by the way....are you going to upload the photo you took?

orangeblossom (10-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 05:19 AM
Veteran Member

OB,

Well done! Slowly slowly, catchee monkey!

I'm not at all surprised by the minor inconveniences that you've had. Gummed injectors, dried electrical plugs, corrosion of oil and coolant radiators, perished tyres, hardened rubbers, rotten exhausts, mouldy carpets, dried leather etc etc. They're all symptomatic of long-term outdoor storage. It's the spirit of Sir William Lyons giving you a kick up the **** for not driving the car!

Seriously, well done for getting it started, but do check those tyres and brakes really carefully. Tyres really should be changed at 9 years max.

Looking forward to the next update!

Paul

The following 2 users liked this post by ptjs1:
orangeblossom (10-13-2016), paulyling (10-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 09:18 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Bro

I will be uploading some Photos, as soon as I've got my New Calipers and the Wheels back on.

paulyling (10-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Paul

Not using the Car for 16 years, was not entirely something of my own choosing.

But with the benefit of hindsight even if I'd used the Car a couple of times a year, most of the problems I've had with her would never have arisen in the first place.

Though that was then and this is now and you can't go back but my only consolation is that I've got a very nearly Brand New Car to play with, at least She will be if I ever get her back on the road, when these little niggles have been sorted out.

I've only driven 100 miles in her since I bought her all that time ago.

Last edited by orangeblossom; 10-13-2016 at 10:06 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Grant Francis (10-13-2016), Jonathan-W (10-14-2016), paulyling (10-13-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member

Within 60 seconds of Starting Her up the Oil cooler had burst but having noticed the low Oil Light, I thankfully managed to Switch her off in time, so although it made a bit of a mess no damage had been done.

Then having got over the shock of what happened and plucked up the courage to open the Bonnet/Hood, I eventually pulled out the dipstick and was very relieved to find, that there was a couple of Litres of Oil remaining in the Sump.

But since I needed Her mobile, in order to do other stuff, like replacing the Calipers and Brake Pipes, I had to do a temporary quick fix, so took the Oil By Pass Pipe off my 'Parts Car' which the P.O. made up to fix the very same problem and put it on my Car.

In the Case of the P.O. it looked very much as if he considered the Oil By Pass Pipe as being a permanent repair but with so many road humps round my way, if I didn't eventually take it off then the road humps would do it for me!

So not much point in filling her up with something like Magnetec that would only be in there for a short while, as I had some other Semi Synthetic that would do the job.

The Oil By Pass Pipe off my Parts Car was dead easy to get off.

And just as easy to fit on 'Cherry Blossom'
The Old Pipes in the Photo have now been Cut Off.

If The Oil Cooler Bursts the chances are you would have to Scrap the Lot, as its almost impossible to remove the Old Pipes from the Oil Cooler, as with two dissimilar metals, Corrosion takes place which makes them seem like they have been Welded on.

paulyling (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Default I got Covered in More Oil than The Deck of 'The Exxon Valdez'!

How NOT to Change the Oil on an XJS!

Having got my XJS up in the Air on my Hydraulic Car lift, I had to drain off what Oil was left in the Sump and then Change the Filter, before I refilled her with Oil.

Having undone the Sump Plug, there was still enough Oil left in the Sump to Fill a Washing Up bowl, so while I left that draining away I had to remove the Old Filter, with a Chain Wrench on a long Extension Bar.

It should have undone dead easy, especially as I had all the tools for the job but it was a real 'Bar Steward' to undo and as I tried to turn the filter, it was crushed by the Chain Wrench, at which point Oil was running out of it.

Which was trickling down my arms and eventually found its way inside my 'T' Shirt and although it was not an entirely unpleasant sensation.

It had gone passed the point of no return and had to come off in double quick time, before I was completely covered in the Stuff!

What Gorilla put that Filter on so tight!
It wasn't me but probaly the same one that overtightened the Spark Plugs.

It should have been so simple, as after all I had the Tools to do the Job.

But that was nothing when Compared to what happened next!

As now a New Filter had to go back on!

paulyling (10-18-2016)
Old 10-18-2016, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Default How to put on a New Oil Filter Just when you think its Safe to go back in the Water!

If you drive an XJS and love to work on your Car, then it almost goes without saying, that you take pride in trying to do a job right.

So when it comes to Changing the Oil Filter, you want to do it the Proper XJS way and not just bung it on the Car like some un-gifted Amateur.

Where this means filling the Oil Filter right up with Oil before you Screw it on!

And if you thought Changing the Spark Plugs was hard, read on............

If You've ever done a Tightrope Walk across Victoria Falls, with one hand tied behind your back and a Blindfold on.

Then you may be just about ready to try that manoeuvre of Engineering Excellence that will fill your heart with Pride.

But First you have to fill the Oil Filter with Oil, which seems to hold a lot more than you think, where my own guestimate would be a Pint.

And while you don't need to Fill the Filter right up to the Top, if you've got an ego problem then you do.

So that's what I did!

After which I psyched myself up by taking some deep breaths.

'Breathe in, Breathe out, Relax and Focus on the Task in hand which was a New Oil Filter almost full to overflowing with 10/40 Semi Synthetic, which I managed to pick up in a Sale at one of the Motor Factors, £35 for 20 Litres 'Bargain or What!

Then trying to stay focussed I very slowly picked the Oil Filter up, inching it higher and higher into the Air, when my arm started suddenly shaking as the blood started draining away.

Don't panic! Don't panic! I said to myself you can do this!

The whole of my Arm was aching by now, as at last the Filter made contact with the threads, at which point I started to Pray!

'In the name of all that's Holy' Please Screw On' but it wouldn't screw on!

OMG! I was thinking, what do I do now!

I know let's try some Swearing instead!

Get on that thread you 'Bar Steward' but it still wouldn't go and by now I was starting to cry and was starting to Wish that I hadn't filled the Filter up so Full, although by some sheer quirk of fate, up to now I hadn't spilled a drop.

At which point a Miracle happened! and the Filter screwed straight on!

OMG! OMG! I've done it at last! and having awarded myself a Gold Star, I then leant backwards right under the Car to 'High Five' the 'Jaguar Gods'

Which would have been a fitting way to bring this ordeal to a Close, except that right behind me, was the Washing up Bowl that was Full of Sticky Black Oil, or at least it was until I'd leaned back on the rim of it and then upset the lot all over me!

I was covered in the Stuff and all my Clothes were ruined, as it soaked the back of my 'T' Shirt and then it trickled down inside my jeans, finally emerging at my ankles where the only thing to stop it was my Shoes.

Then when I finally managed to slide out of my very sticky grave, the earth was sticking to the Oil like one of those Cakes that is Sprinkled with Hundreds and Thousands!

So only one thing left to do!

Donate those Clothes to a Charity Shop and then buy them back when they've cleaned them!

Last edited by orangeblossom; 10-19-2016 at 05:33 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
chriskindbooks (10-18-2016), Greg in France (10-19-2016), Jonathan-W (10-19-2016), paulyling (10-19-2016), warrjon (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 03:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,996 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Ah, you have finally found the true path and been baptised in Jaguar oil, a true convert.
The next step to full enlightenment is petrol spraying in your face from a split fuel hose.

The following 3 users liked this post by Steve M:
Jonathan-W (10-19-2016), orangeblossom (10-19-2016), paulyling (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 04:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Wowee, I am tired by just reading of these travails !!

I am up early/late. Snoozed early. But Eczema flare up meant
no sleep. Measures taken. Much better! But, interesting stuff here!!

My Jeep is up for an oil and filter swap. At times It's parallel to the ground filter resists my efforts to remove it. Mia culpa, too tight !!

Four fixes, in order of difficulty:

1. Gloved hands. Has worked !!

2. Strap wrench. Some times.

3. Chain wrench. Worked once or twice.

4. Long center punch and BFH. Last resort, but 100% result.

There is "always" a way.

Carl

The following 2 users liked this post by JagCad:
orangeblossom (10-19-2016), paulyling (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 05:11 AM
Veteran Member

Well done OB! But you're not trying to tell us that you haven't kicked over a tray of oil before, have you!? Surely it's the rite of passage that any young motorist goes through, followed by a mandate from ones father to sit on the driveway with a container of washing-up liquid and a stiff brush until the driveway was spotlessly clean. Coupled with then being grounded for a week, it was part of my formative education as a young home mechanic! It sticks in my memory along with the taste of 5-star petrol from my first forlorn attempts at siphoning petrol; the fascination at the amount of blood that can suddenly spurt from your skinned knuckles from not appreciating what will happen when a nut suddenly rounds; the bizarre ability of a rusty exhaust pipe to accurately shed tiny bits of rusty metal into your eyes when you're working underneath the car even if you turn your face in completely the opposite direction; that awful feeling the first time you realise you shouldn't have forced that tight spark plug in an alloy head and have now stripped the thread; the icy sense of dread when you finally tighten the last bolt on the bell housing of your Triumph Vitesse gearbox, turn round and se the thrust bearing staring up at you from the ground. Happy Days..God, I wish I was 18 again....

Paul

The following 4 users liked this post by ptjs1:
JJS- Florida (03-22-2024), Jonathan-W (10-19-2016), orangeblossom (10-19-2016), paulyling (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 05:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,996 Likes on 1,691 Posts

Rebuilding the MGC engine, starting it up and realising that the zero oil pressure is caused by the new oil still being in the containers on the workbench.

The following 3 users liked this post by Steve M:
Jonathan-W (10-19-2016), orangeblossom (10-19-2016), paulyling (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 05:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Steve M
Ah, you have finally found the true path and been baptised in Jaguar oil, a true convert.
The next step to full enlightenment is petrol spraying in your face from a split fuel hose.
You mean you think that hasn't happened already!

When I was watching the FPR as the GF turned the key.

paulyling (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 05:47 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagCad
Wowee, I am tired by just reading of these travails !!

I am up early/late. Snoozed early. But Eczema flare up meant
no sleep. Measures taken. Much better! But, interesting stuff here!!

My Jeep is up for an oil and filter swap. At times It's parallel to the ground filter resists my efforts to remove it. Mia culpa, too tight !!

Four fixes, in order of difficulty:

1. Gloved hands. Has worked !!

2. Strap wrench. Some times.

3. Chain wrench. Worked once or twice.

4. Long center punch and BFH. Last resort, but 100% result.

There is "always" a way.

Carl
Hi Carl

I was really starting to think that Filter would never come off, as they are only supposed to be just over hand tight.

And when your hands are covered in Oil, all the Tools you try and pick up just seem to slip from your grasp, or else are only millimetres just too far away (Sods Law in Action)

I don't like using that Chain Wrench, as it tears the Filter to pieces assuming that you are able to make it stay in position while you try and grab the handle of the Ratchet, especially if everything's covered in Oil.

paulyling (10-19-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 05:54 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
Well done OB! But you're not trying to tell us that you haven't kicked over a tray of oil before, have you!? Surely it's the rite of passage that any young motorist goes through, followed by a mandate from ones father to sit on the driveway with a container of washing-up liquid and a stiff brush until the driveway was spotlessly clean. Coupled with then being grounded for a week, it was part of my formative education as a young home mechanic! It sticks in my memory along with the taste of 5-star petrol from my first forlorn attempts at siphoning petrol; the fascination at the amount of blood that can suddenly spurt from your skinned knuckles from not appreciating what will happen when a nut suddenly rounds; the bizarre ability of a rusty exhaust pipe to accurately shed tiny bits of rusty metal into your eyes when you're working underneath the car even if you turn your face in completely the opposite direction; that awful feeling the first time you realise you shouldn't have forced that tight spark plug in an alloy head and have now stripped the thread; the icy sense of dread when you finally tighten the last bolt on the bell housing of your Triumph Vitesse gearbox, turn round and se the thrust bearing staring up at you from the ground. Happy Days..God, I wish I was 18 again....

Paul
Hi Paul

Tell you what I have done!

Changed the Oil on my Triumph Herald and forgot to put the Sump Plug back before I tried to refill her with Castrol GTX.

If only we were able to turn the Clock Back.

Those were the days!

paulyling (10-19-2016)

Quick Reply: Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12