XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Anyone lifted a supercharger+intake off the 5.0 engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 290 Posts
Default Anyone lifted a supercharger+intake off the 5.0 engine?

The workshop manual, as always, just says "remove it", with an equally unhelpful diagram. It won't budge!

I've triple-checked all bolts mentioned in the instructions have been removed, but the best I can manage is rocking it a few millimeters.

I expect the supercharger + intake manifolds is reaaasonably heavy, along with "sticky" inlet manifold gaskets, etc - but do I really need an engine crane to do this? I can't help but feel the manual would mention this if it was necessary.

Any hints?

Old 11-15-2016, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

Did you paint it blue first ? I love the "oh you just..." in some of those steps; I really wonder if the Jag techs just go by those...

Old 11-15-2016, 10:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 274 Posts

You might just pay to access Jaguar TOpix or Mitchells, they show more details.

Old 11-16-2016, 12:07 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks Will - I did pay for TOpix, and that's where that (not particularly helpful) diagram and instructions came from!

At this point I'm just about ready to drill some holes in this steel bar and bolt some threaded rod to it so me and a strong friend can try and lift it out.

Old 11-16-2016, 12:25 AM
Received 4,458 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Maybe these pics help?

I'm guessing that the two locating pins on the bottom of the supercharger are some sort of interference fit which is why it's so tight to get it off. And why in my pics, one of those pins is in the supercharger, I guess the other one was still stuck in the valley of the engine block.

Last edited by Cambo; 11-16-2016 at 01:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
davetibbs (11-16-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 01:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,229 Likes on 2,383 Posts

Have you downloaded the Workshop Manual?
It might just show a little more than TOPIx, although having had a look it doesn't show a helluva lot about SC removal!
See here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...anuals-171381/

Edit - looks like you already have the Workshop Manual, I should have read the first post more closely, my bad!

Last edited by OzXFR; 11-16-2016 at 01:11 AM. Reason: Whoops!
Old 11-16-2016, 02:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by davetibbs
Thanks Will - I did pay for TOpix, and that's where that (not particularly helpful) diagram and instructions came from!

At this point I'm just about ready to drill some holes in this steel bar and bolt some threaded rod to it so me and a strong friend can try and lift it out.

I got more detail in the Topix charge cooler removal manual.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo

Maybe these pics help?

I'm guessing that the two locating pins on the bottom of the supercharger are some sort of interference fit which is why it's so tight to get it off. And why in my pics, one of those pins is in the supercharger, I guess the other one was still stuck in the valley of the engine block.
And the guy that did mine at the dealership just before I bought it said it was dam heavy. If you can rock it I'd check that the lines and wires are released and out of the way, then I'd get to tugging.

davetibbs (11-16-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 07:44 AM
Received 4,458 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigg Will
And the guy that did mine at the dealership just before I bought it said it was dam heavy. If you can rock it I'd check that the lines and wires are released and out of the way, then I'd get to tugging.
Just make sure all the crap at the back of the supercharger is disconnected too, there's a few things bolted on there (EGR? sound symposer?).

davetibbs (11-16-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 10:35 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cambo
Maybe these pics help?

They do, thanks Cambo!

I'm assuming the locator pins are indeed an interference fit - I did wonder if there was something like this that was causing it. I guess the tight fit, coupled with thousands of heat cycles and a heavy supercharger/chargecooler sat on top of it is why it's proving to be so difficult.

I think I'll get some threaded rod and bolt it to the two steel bars to aid with rocking/lifting - the plan is to bolt it to the inlet manifolds, not the supercharger, since they're cheaper to replace if it all goes wrong

There are still some things left to disconnect at the back - I was hoping being able to lift the supercharger might improve access but I guess that's off the table so I'll have to work on getting everything at the back sorted before I lift it.

I have to say though, whoever designed the layout of the rear of the engine bay, the frankly comedic access to almost all of the engine, things located behind the supercharger that are almost impossible to remove, and then wrote the workshop manual with "Just remove this!" like it's no big deal deserves a special place in hell. My poor knuckles.

Reaxions (05-09-2022)
Old 11-16-2016, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by davetibbs
I have to say though, whoever designed the layout of the rear of the engine bay, the frankly comedic access to almost all of the engine, things located behind the supercharger that are almost impossible to remove, and then wrote the workshop manual with "Just remove this!" like it's no big deal deserves a special place in hell. My poor knuckles.
You should try working on the 4.2 V8 crammed into an Audi S4...that's why replacing $50 worth of plastic timing chain guides becomes a $7000 engine out job...

Old 11-16-2016, 06:13 PM
Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

can you get a pry bar on the corners to start it moving? high enough to clear those locating pins