XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Making a new Injector Harness for the H.E

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 02:10 AM
Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Bro

Welcome home but check this out, now that's what I would call a Wiring Harness!

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rl-out-172408/
Thank you orangeblossom, took me time, but worth it, the XJS runs, and thought I saw a smile, great now

The following 2 users liked this post by daverb:
orangeblossom (11-27-2016), paulyling (11-24-2016)
Old 11-24-2016, 02:39 AM

Looks like your getting a handle on it, and you will notice the difference once the new one is on. nails or hooks, it does not matter as long as you have things separated to make the build easier. Just remember, do one wire at a time, and if your using the old plug (I did on mine) leave it connected so you have a reference were to connect each wire.

If that extra plug was like mine, it was not connected to anything, it was bent back and wrapped int the insulation. I will get a picture on how the plug this weekend are labeled for your your reference

thia diagram helped me a lot to match up with the plug

this is the plug from the engine bay harrness

Old 11-24-2016, 03:31 AM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts

Thanks Dave, I appreciate the help mate and the schematic. I think I will print a copy of yours out as well

I bought brand new Bosch Plugs but I will be splicing into the multipin connectors on the other end after they have had a clean up of course.

Last edited by paulyling; 11-24-2016 at 12:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (11-27-2016)
Old 11-24-2016, 07:17 PM

Crikey it pays to shop around. I wanted some solder heatshrinking inline crimps for my wires going back to the plug I am re-using. $17 for a pack of 5 Navra ones in Repco. Walked up to Jaycar (Electronics Hobby Place) and they had the same ones for $5 for a packet of 5. They look identical. I hope they are ok but gee it pays to shop around!

I also needed a substitute for these heat shrinkable boots to common up my wires:

Found a pack of 10 in Jaycar for $5 and bought some regular heatshrink too.

I figured with the money I saved I can by myself this sexy overpriced Bosch Air Gun from Bunnings on the way out....I don't like the gas types and uses the plug in type at work with much success:

Old 11-24-2016, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

I get all my crimps etc from RS Components, pricing is good as the Nearest JayCar is 300km away.

You can get heatshrink that has glue inside would be good for the boots.

The following 2 users liked this post by warrjon:
Old 11-24-2016, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by warrjon
I get all my crimps etc from RS Components, pricing is good as the Nearest JayCar is 300km away.

You can get heatshrink that has glue inside would be good for the boots.
Yes I find RS quite good normally. (Bought my Wella Solder Iron from them). The stuff they sell is probably better quality than jaycar too. The only qualm I have about them is sometimes there is so too many options. Oh and their online search engine lets them down a bit.

When I worked in an Electronics Workshop I used to use RS all the time and found that their big catalogue they used to send us was easier to find stuff in there than the web page. I don't think they have printed catalogues anymore though.

Old 11-24-2016, 11:10 PM
Veteran Member

Believe it or not they still had printed catalogs as of 18 months ago. I worked in the repair centre of a Military Calibration Lab and we used to get them sent to us. Or was that Farnell sorry Element14 god why do these people change their names, quick where's my medication.

orangeblossom (11-27-2016), paulyling (11-25-2016)
Old 11-27-2016, 10:12 PM

Well, kids back to school and it is time to make some progress. Today I focused on running the wires for A bank.

First problem: I nominated the colour Pink for my "KB" wire and after running the wire down today I found out 3 metres isn't going to be enough to do the job (as I use more of this colour ). I also realised I didn't order enough braided sleeving either so I have had to obtain another quote for a bit more ()

Anyway, it didn't stop me making progress. As mentioned above I started with the KB wire (pink in my case) for the first group in A bank (5A,3A,1A). I laid them down and routed them to where they "common" up to the insulated boot.

Next I needed the other wire for the first group so I nominated blue.

I taped the bunch of wires with some masking tape for now to keep them together.

Next I did the other group which is 6A,4A,2A. As mentioned I ran out of pink so just did the other wire which I nominated the colour white. I also cut my braided sleeving to size. Looks a bit of a mess but it is taking form:

Whilst I am waiting for more "KB" I'll continue the process next by doing the B bank in much the same fashion. Then I can move onto making my first Bosch Plug connection.

One strange find from today: I found out what the second plug does....sort of. It only uses two wires coming out of that centre pin. The other two were cut off. The two wires go to each side of the bank where they are dead ended. Weird....only the dead end on A bank has two wires coming out and they connect straight to the earth via a bolt on my intake manifold near the fire wall. So all this plug is for is an earth? Can anybody elaborate what this plug used to be for?

Here is a pic before I ripped it out the other week:

This is all it is. Two wires going to each bank commoned up and connected to earth. (well it was until I cut it out). If I can confirm this to be so I am going to do a away with the plug and just pick up an earth closer to the main plug where the harness plugs in.

Also I sure am glad I decided to do this harness...look how crispy some of these wires are:

Last edited by paulyling; 11-27-2016 at 10:16 PM.
orangeblossom (11-28-2016)
Old 11-27-2016, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member

The source of most faults in an XJS engine bay. I'm sure it will have more power when you're finished lol

orangeblossom (11-28-2016), paulyling (11-27-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 12:06 AM

Looks like you doing it the same as I did mine, one at a time and taking your time. It will be together before you know it, and the CAT will be gratefully

orangeblossom (11-28-2016), paulyling (11-28-2016)
Old 11-28-2016, 10:11 PM

Progress today:

Still waiting on more "KB" wire but laid out the firing conductors for B bank:

Next it was time to finally do the first Bosch plug. First things first, check which wire goes where. I am not sure that it matters as it is just a coil however I kept it the same. Started with 5A looking down the plug it was KB on the left and the firing conductor on the right. For me Pink on the left Blue on the right:

Firstly it was running the pair of wires through the sleeving and into the boot. I also put some heat shrink over the boot so I can pull it down and shrink the sleeving to the boot after I finished:

Now, the only thing I am not sure is with these little white rubber stoppers. I put them on next:

Strip back the wire and slide the crimp on:

Next do the crimp. My cheap charlie crimper I got from Jaycar done a bit of a hack job but it is ok. I used the jaw that said 14-18AWG so it should have been the right one:

The crimp seemed ok however I put a dab of solder on it to finish it off:

Next I clicked in the connectors noting they go in the way where the little tab has a guide to slide through inside the connector. You will know you get it right when you hear a little "click" and you can't pull the connector back out.
I also slid up the two white little stoppers. Hoping that is what they are meant to be for. (The old harness does not have them).

You can see the connectors have came all the way through:

Next I pulled down that heat shrink and shrunk the boot and sleeving together:

And wella! The first Bosch plug is away!

I can do three more and then I am waiting on wire. 11 more to go...

The following 4 users liked this post by paulyling:
Doug (11-29-2016), Greg in France (11-29-2016), o1xjr (11-29-2016), orangeblossom (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 01:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,279 Likes on 5,451 Posts

That looks like a Rolls Royce job to me. Superb.
greg

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
orangeblossom (11-29-2016), paulyling (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 07:16 AM
Banned
Received 325 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg in France
That looks like a Rolls Royce job to me. Superb.
greg
Agree with Greg, looks impressive quality job there Paul.

Also the 'white stoppers' are fitted to the injection loom on my facelift V12

paulyling (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,797 Likes on 2,629 Posts

Hi Bro

If you manage to pull that 'Gig' off, I'm going to Nominate You for a certain Certificate of Merit.

paulyling (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 02:10 PM

Hi Bro

If you manage to pull that 'Gig' off, I'm going to Nominate You for a certain Certificate of Merit.
Ha ha cheers mate.....its gotta bloody work yet though!

No more work today as I have to go out. Thursday will do two more Bosch plugs and then I am waiting on more KB wire.....I guess the breaks in between help me to slow it down and think about it more but I surely want to finish this off before I got back to sea as when I come back in January I will be scratching my head wondering where I was up to!

orangeblossom (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,797 Likes on 2,629 Posts

Hi Bro

Well done as its already looking like a really 'Pukka Job' and a lot more complicated that I thought.

Keep going you will get there and I'm sure 'The Goose' will be running before you go back.

paulyling (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 10:06 PM

Hi Bro

Well done as its already looking like a really 'Pukka Job' and a lot more complicated that I thought.

Keep going you will get there and I'm sure 'The Goose' will be running before you go back.
Cheers mate. Actually the more I study it the simpler it really is. Essentially just that KB wire common to one side of each injector, then an additional 4 different wires used for the firing signal from the ECU to a group of injectors (via the Ballast resistors). Each of those 4 wires is common to a different set of three injectors. Lots of doubling up everywhere but essential just 5 different wires

Uncle Lucas sure had some strange ideas about making these harness's though!

Oh and I had to What "Pukka" meant as I had no idea!

In UK slang, it can mean "genuine" or simply "very good"

Last edited by paulyling; 11-29-2016 at 10:09 PM.
orangeblossom (11-30-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 11:28 PM

More progress today:

I had a call from the very knowledgeable 34by151(my good mate James) as his internet connection was too slow to post on the forum (yes...in Australia we still have 3rd world internet at times).

He told me those white plugs are to be stuffed all the way up the plug as far as the tab as they stop vibration, take up the strain and also moisture I think he said.

So...with that in mind I shoved em' on up for the next connection as so:

The narrow most part up as far as the "tab" (was that far enough?)

The little white plugs have 3 fins or "notches". I could get two up there but 3 seemed a bit too much to fit.

Plug went click and I pulled the boot over and heatshrunk the sleeving to the boot. It doesn't look as good but I also cable tied the boot to the sleeve for extra support...I don't want to have to do this again any time soon:

3 plugs made and thats all I can do until more wire arrives (which should be tomorrow or Monday)

Now to start making "T" pieces of the braided sleeving. I firstly cut a hole in the main sleeve:

Slid it all in and made the sleeve flush

Pushed up some heat shrink and had it ready. I am not going to shrink it yet until I get all the wire through:

Starting to look a little bit like a modern harness:

To be continued....

Last edited by paulyling; 11-30-2016 at 11:32 PM.
orangeblossom (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 01:27 AM
Veteran Member

Excellent work there

paulyling (12-01-2016)
Old 12-04-2016, 09:18 PM

Well my extra wire came in so it was back to work. A milestone today in that I have finished fitting off all the plugs and I am getting close to the installation

Today I started by "commoning" up the KB wires and each of the firing conductors for bank A. I found it easy to strip back and twist two together first:

Then do the same with the other two wires (3 per bank and one wire going back to the main plug). Then, twist both of those together as so:

And then plop some solder through, making sure it does indeed go all the way through.

Then to shrink on my heatshrinkable boots (glue inside). The cheap ones from Jaycar took a fair while to shrink. I think next time it will be Rachem brand for me, same as I use at work.

Then finish off the rest on "A" bank:

Its starting to look like a harness!

A bank complete:

Now that I had practice it was onto "B" bank. Running the wires, fitting off the plugs and before I knew it I was getting near the end. One thing I did notice is there was no consistency with which way around the KB wire sits in the plug (left or right). So I am assuming we are only energizing a coil so it does not matter which way around they go in:

Well, that being said I finished off all my plugs and it is starting to look the part:

Tomorrow I just have to "common" up B bank and then splice the wires into the existing plug and she is ready to install!

The following 3 users liked this post by paulyling:
Greg in France (12-05-2016), orangeblossom (12-05-2016), warrjon (12-05-2016)