XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

Cars and status

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 12:29 PM
Received 421 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Tervuren
Appearance, unless you hear someone outside your field of vision, is typically the first thing people see.

I sometimes over hear people laughing and commenting their surprise when getting into my XK near out door restaurant seating. People do not expect the guy wearing low hiking boots, battle dress uniform pants, and a T-shirt to get in and drive off in the Jaguar XK.

The most amusing however, are the obvious metro ladies trying to ignore my existence as I walk by, only to have their brain do a back flip when I take off in the XK. Seeing the expression change in a mirror is something I get a very quiet laugh at when this one times out perfectly.

Some people are very defensive, and they notice "status" symbols. They build themselves up by comparing who they are better than, or what things they have that others don't. The opposite happens when they see someone with something nicer, or when some one does something better than them.

If it motivates them to improve, its not a bad thing, but I rarely see it work out that way.
I get a little of that myself. I've been growing my hair out for charity in memory of a friend and former colleague who lost a 5-year battle with colon cancer. In addition, I've really made the 'fun suppressor' angry by participating in "no shave November" ... and conveniently extending it into "don't shave December". So in addition to the ponytail, I'm also rocking a month's worth of facial hair.

It's a drastically different look than my pre-retirement "professional" look, and if you're able to give it a go, I highly recommend trying this once just for the social perception aspect of it all. Long-time acquaintances (not friends) and neighbors all treat you differently, even if it's subtle. The 180 degree "I'm judging you, scumbag" look that gets eviscerated when you drop into the Jaguar would make for an excellent psychology paper for a grad student in that area of study.

The following users liked this post:
AllblueACR (12-10-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 12:44 PM
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

{...} would make for an excellent psychology paper for a grad student in that area of study.
I think this whole slightly saddening thread would be meat, potatoes and gravy for any psychologist worth his/her salt.

Old 12-11-2016, 06:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,311 Likes on 902 Posts

My avatar's light sabre looks pretty pathetic compared to yours.

I have a severe case of light sabre envy. A psychologist might make something of that as well.

Old 12-12-2016, 02:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 735 Likes on 470 Posts

OK soooo where do I get a light sabre? Maybe I could collect them? Are there any low production models I should concentrate my efforts on? I don't think a psychologist would find this very interesting at all.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:38 AM
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceTheQuail
I have a severe case of light sabre envy. A psychologist might make something of that as well.
OK, ya got me. Asked and answered - I don't have a shrink but it has been suggested that I am compensating for an unusually small spare wheel

Old 12-12-2016, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,839 Likes on 1,233 Posts

Originally Posted by jima
OK, ya got me. Asked and answered - I don't have a shrink but it has been suggested that I am compensating for an unusually small spare wheel
I thought it was just the Ferrari guys that had this problem.

Old 12-14-2016, 04:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 654 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by jagtoes
It's pretty simple as cars are an extension of a persons personality. If it weren't true then none of us would own anything other then a toyota or honda or some american iron. We buy something different to satisfy our own ego's . In doing so we want to be seen as affluent types. A lot of folks just don't want to admit it. Just take a poll on what type of job/position we have/had and it usually puts you high on the list. How many here work as a garbage collector. Regardless of what you paid for your car or who works on it when you go for a ride and joe 6-pack sees you what do you think he is thinking. So enjoy and have fun as you only live once and you don't know what that clock says.
The response I get owning an XK was completely unexpected. The sales guy at the Honda dealer I bought it from was wanting to know what I thought of different stocks, should he buy this one or, that one. I had no idea what I was getting into in buying an XK. I am into older cars myself, and consider newer cars to be a bit bland, and boring. If I weren't so tall, I'd rather have an XK8.

I do however, think my car certainly does reflect certain aspects of myself. I have always been one to find the unconventional solution, so in my search for a daily driver I would not have to work on, with a moderate buy price, I ended up with a used Jaguar instead of a new Mazda or Ford.(my second choice and third choice). While the new car offers a warranty, the Jaguar looked like it would require less work, the new car might need frequent warranty work.

But to make a point, consider two different thirty year old persons that both drive a high mileage 1995 metallic gray Honda Civic with a worn and faded gray cloth interior.

Person A: Received the car as a gift from their parents at age 16, used it to move from party to party, parents paid for him to go to college, but he dropped out as he couldn't keep his grades up and party at the same time. Time has moved on, and beers and clubbing is where all the money he has gone that he has earned from drifting from job to job. He laments every time it needs maintenance, and how broke it leaves him for weeks, states he wishes he had a newer/nicer car that would not leave him broke like this.

Person B: Worked through their teenage years, bought a used generic civic that they could afford with the cash they saved up at age 18. Went to college on a scholarship, got a good job, saved up enough money to quit that job and start their own successful real estate rental company. They continue to drive the civic, and maintain it, as its cheaper than car payments, and buying a new car would take money they could invest in their own business instead.

Both Person A and B will drive the civic until it finally croaks. Person A will be taking a bus at that time, Person B will get another generic car.

Only through the lens of knowing the person, does what they drive come into focus.

Cee Jay (12-14-2016)
Old 12-14-2016, 04:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by richzak

Keep wearing the boots, battle pants, and T-shirts. You're driving the Jaguar that everyone would want to own. I also think a lot of ladies like that look, but just won't admit it, when with others.
Its only a certain set that disapprove or find it scary. The white/gray/black pattern is a real hit with those that would rather do something fun; instead of drinking alcohol, going shopping, and taking selfies as their primary hobbies.

I consider it to be a good filter of people I wouldn't normally get along with anyway, and it saves us both the bother. However, as a southerner, its still my habit to say hi to anyone, and engage in fifteen minute + conversations with strangers I may pass no matter what they look like.

Originally Posted by LoudHogRider
I get a little of that myself. I've been growing my hair out for charity in memory of a friend and former colleague who lost a 5-year battle with colon cancer. In addition, I've really made the 'fun suppressor' angry by participating in "no shave November" ... and conveniently extending it into "don't shave December". So in addition to the ponytail, I'm also rocking a month's worth of facial hair.

It's a drastically different look than my pre-retirement "professional" look, and if you're able to give it a go, I highly recommend trying this once just for the social perception aspect of it all. Long-time acquaintances (not friends) and neighbors all treat you differently, even if it's subtle. The 180 degree "I'm judging you, scumbag" look that gets eviscerated when you drop into the Jaguar would make for an excellent psychology paper for a grad student in that area of study.
I'm curios as to your age? I believe there is an inverse bell curve of acceptance of scruffy looking/long hair. It doesn't really effect what people think of young people, nor some one of white haired age. I think there might be different expectations towards someone 30-70 than 16-20 or 70+. I prefer a low maintenance tight cut, as it lets me stay at work for a few days in a row without looking like I did so.

I completely shaved my head prior to letting everything grow out for almost a year. I'm a slow grower, so even with a year, I couldn't make a pony tail. The biggest difference was the recently shaved head. I now fully understand why people who go through Chemo wear hats. People stare with a sad/guilty look of pity. It was a similar experience to when I had an accident and couldn't move very well under my own power, and was brought through a crowd as a young person in a wheel chair.

Last edited by Tervuren; 12-14-2016 at 05:00 AM.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:03 AM
Veteran Member

My lightsaber is really a Harmonica.

Attached Thumbnails Cars and status-8401970665.jpg  
Old 12-16-2016, 02:09 AM
Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

I started a new job in August and luckily it's only 3 miles from home Anyone familiar with the Greater Toronto Area can attest to what a commuting luxury that is. I live about 25 miles outside of downtown and when I used to work down there, I never drove the XKR to work. Too far and too many idiot drivers. Now that I am closer to work, I drive it in whenever the weather allows.

So I recently found out that my new colleagues thought I was independently wealthy and that I must be working only to avoid boredom. (I wish!).

There are Porsches and BMWs in the lot but my XKR was discussed as being in a different league.... that's fine, but I'm still not buying your lunch Beemer Boy! (Lol)

Old 12-16-2016, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,582 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Ok, while we're hijacking threads with light sabre stories, here's mine. At the Hollywood Bowl a couple months back to see John Williams (composer of Star Wars score as well as hundreds of others), and apparently it's "traditional" to bring your light sabre to the concert (unbeknownst to us). We were seemingly the only two people out of the 16000 at the bowl that night without them. I won't make that mistake again.

Attached Thumbnails Cars and status-light-sabre.jpg  
BruceTheQuail (12-16-2016)
Old 12-16-2016, 04:03 PM
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by tampamark
....I rarely valet but when I do they make a big deal, it was the same with my 650. People at gas stations or stores will say something to me about having a nice car and I just say thanks, they are typically driving an SUV or car that if they bought it new they paid more than my used Jag.
This is the point I am trying to drive home to my wife, who is struggling with guilt for owning a Jag KX. We just bought ours 2 days ago - 2007 XK convertible, and she was commenting several times last night about feeling guilty about driving up to work in it. She works at a bedroom community (of Memphis) nursing home as the director of rehab. The nurses and CNTs all appear to live paycheck to paycheck, and she's worried about them all feeling jealous or envious of her. I told her, "if anyone makes any kind of comment approaching that subject, just ask them what they paid for THEIR car. Because I'll bet the majority of them paid more than the $13,500 we just paid for this."

Old 12-17-2016, 10:51 AM
Received 200 Likes on 140 Posts

That's an easy fix GS2000, you drive the XK, she won't be embarrassed and you will be exhilarated.

Old 12-17-2016, 12:55 PM
Veteran Member

Saying how much you paid isn't really going to to do much. Most people just won't believe you, in their mind, its an unaffordable car.

Part of it also, it isn't exactly how much you bought it for, but that its less practical, and might be more expensive if something goes wrong. I could get a Maserati for less than the XK, but I'd have to have much deeper pockets to do anything with it other than put it on display.

Even if it isn't an expensive car, its not something some one would likely choose as their only car, so its best to factor in that other car and the XK.

An XK just isn't gonna cut it for a do-it-all general purpose family vehichle, and so it implies that the owner has other vehicles beyond their "toy car". (If they aren't single.) if a person doesn't have extra toy vehicles, even if that toy vehicle isn't unobtaniumly priced, its still something they "couldn't" afford, as they needed the purpose of the mini-van or SUV, even if that mini-van or SUV cost its owner more than you paid for the XK. Its about more than the price of the car being driven, its also about being able to afford an extra vehichle with its primary purpose being something other than hauling the kids or stuff.

So the price you paid for your XK is only part of the equation, its the price they paid for their Mini-Van or SUV + the price of an XK on top of that. That is what counts when money gets involved if they need the SUV/Mini-Van for their life needs.

Last edited by Tervuren; 12-17-2016 at 02:28 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Tervuren:
AVMiii (12-21-2016), Cee Jay (12-17-2016), sharx8 (12-18-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 633 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by Geosnooker2000
I told her, "if anyone makes any kind of comment approaching that subject, just ask them what they paid for THEIR car. Because I'll bet the majority of them paid more than the $13,500 we just paid for this."
Exactly, it is not as expensive as they think. Certainly telling them that it was not a huge investment can reduce the jealousy factory.

Like Turveran said though, the reality is most paycheck-to-paycheck people would not have the wherewithal to afford the potential issues that could happen on these cars. Paying $13,500 for a 9 year old "high-end to them" used car is not as safe as buying a $30,000 car on payments that has a full warranty.

I had more than one person tell me in my BMW 650 that they would love to trade cars with me, usually at the gas station. I always said the same thing, just a quick joke, "only if you take the payments with you". This as I hate snobs or condescending types, the reality was I had no payments. I guess I like to give the impression I struggle also...

Old 12-20-2016, 09:42 AM
Received 421 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Tervuren
I'm curios as to your age? I believe there is an inverse bell curve of acceptance of scruffy looking/long hair. It doesn't really effect what people think of young people, nor some one of white haired age. I think there might be different expectations towards someone 30-70 than 16-20 or 70+. I prefer a low maintenance tight cut, as it lets me stay at work for a few days in a row without looking like I did so.
I'm 58 and still blessed with a very thick head of blond hair. The Christmas whiskers have some gray in them, but it's nothing more than genetics that our family gray's later than most. I've got pictures of my Dad (who's 88 now and finally silver) holding our son as a newborn (he's 24 now) and his hair is still jet black. This will probably be my last round of growing it for charity as most won't take donated hair with any gray in it, and Pantene will only take up to 10% gray. I'll make that cut-line for sure, but it's time to return to a more age-appropriate hairstyle for the duration.

Here are some before and after pics from my last donation to put it in perspective. Be kind, fellas.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 571 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by LoudHogRider
I'm 58 and still blessed with a very thick head of blond hair.
Lucky *******

Good on you for the hair donations!

LoudHogRider (12-20-2016)