Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First MOT test.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 385 Likes on 310 Posts
Default First MOT test.

Car went in last week for its first MOT and failed on three things only.
I've been using the same MOT stn and workshop for about 8 years now because they are honest and straight and don't charge stupid prices.
Its rare to find and honest and straight workshop.
Perhaps that's the reason why they are always very busy with work? Hmmm..... an idea for rip off workshops to consider.

The failures were.
1. Sidelights not working
2. Rear LH wheel handbrake function non existent.
3. Rear RH anti roll bar drop link rubber bush split.

I sorted the sidelights myself. £0-00
The brand new LH rear caliper arrived today £48-00
The rear RH drop link arrived today £17-00
Labour cost to fit Weds next week £35. (Mobile mechanic)
Free MOT retest on Thurs/Fri next week.
First MOT cost £35
So if all goes to plan the first MOT will have cost me £135-00 and that's not too bad.

The boss man of the workshop did the MOT test himself and he liked the car A LOT.
He was impressed and commented on the low mileage and the general condition of the car.

OK I've been very lucky so far and both my little lady and I are really enjoying the car.

Old 01-18-2017, 05:54 PM
Veteran Member

Update:

I got the parts in after ordering online.
A new LH rear caliper for £48 incl postage and a new anti-rollbar drop link for £16.

My mobile mechanic came round a bit later than planned but he is decked out with work because he is good and charges about £20 an hour labour.

Bad news is I got the right caliper but wrong handbrake mechanism.
So the new LH rear caliper has to go back for a refund. That was a one off at £48 I can tell you !! What a shame.
But, I found a UK company who sell reconditioned Jaguar calipers and I'm waiting for a call back.

More bad news is the electronic handbrake actuator motor has had it.
Looks like the electric motor is a whole seasons worth of fun and games.
I've been reading up on the forum about that little gem of a removal and fitting work.

At least I've still got over 2 weeks left before the MOT runs out.
Still winning, but just a bit delayed.

Last edited by Busa; 01-18-2017 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-19-2017, 12:57 AM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm working through my recent purchase - 2000MY 3.0, and hoping to get it through the MOT first time when I take in April. I am wanting to do all the work myself (if I can) but a Mobile Mechanic for £35 ??? even if it is just for a drop link, is a very good rate. If he knows his stuff and will work for £20 and hour, would you mind PMing me his details. Even though I live down south, it would be worth it to pay his fuel costs, if he is good.

Things I have done so far

1. Remove the horrible black mesh someone had put on the main beams and rear light units - then polished them with the 3M kit.
2. Changed on of the headlamp units - the internals had fallen apart. (carried out the screw fix on the other which was pointing at the ground)
3. Changed all 6 spark plugs and fitted new inlet seals.
4. Changed the Differential oil.

Checking through the suspension components, brakes and discs over the next week or so - but it doesn't look bad from what I have seen.

Old 01-19-2017, 04:30 AM
Veteran Member

Hi MWMan, yes he is a real find ! I found him online last year and he's done 3 or 4 jobs for me on the car since Ive had the Jaguar.
I would do some of that work myself but not over winter lying on cold concrete, my spine is so damaged that its not an option when the temperature hits 5 degs at best in the day.
I have done a few changes and bits of work on the car myself and it grieves me that I am unable to do the things I used to. A long story.

Tbh about him coming down to your area, he is decked out with work and you can see why with his rates ! He may not charge other people the same as me though? We get on because he is a biker and understands what its like to get mashed in a bad bike smash. So we are cool and we talk bikes and drink tea when he comes round. His business model is very good. A smart guy.

Mods Ive done so far are, swapped the dodgy wheelnuts for one piece chrome nuts, replaced the wheel centre badges. Fitted xenon (not HID) headlamp bulbs to improve the nightime driving experience and bring the cars looks a bit more up to date. Same wattage bulbs but about 50% brighter white light, like fitted as standard on newer cars. Fully synth engine oil and filter change. Replaced the windscreen wipers with flat aero blades. Perfect screen wiping and no dragging.
Fitted new rear discs and pads. I used Mintex parts. (£98 total for the whole job)
Replaced a broken front wheel abs lead.
Fitted a new radiator, a new DCCV and a new bottom hose. then refilled with the correct grade of orange anti freeze. (I am down the road from Coventry, where else would you buy a pattern Jaguar radiator)
Cleaned and polished the exhaust end pipes using a Dremmel and hard and soft wire brushes. Came up a treat !
Cleaned under the bonnet and the engine bay which so many car owners forget.
Detail cleaned the car dash, centre console and front seats. The disposable dash wipes tell just how dirty it was !
Bought some premium tailored car mats front and rear.

The car had done 58k miles when I bought it and I'm coming up to 68k miles ready for another oil and filter change asap.
Gearbox oil change soon as well.
I've got a new air intake filter and new cabin air filter here, ready to fit.

You did the spark plugs, how did it go?
The 3M kit, any good?

Old 01-19-2017, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Busa

You did the spark plugs, how did it go?
The 3M kit, any good?
You have done quite a bit. Still plenty for me to go at, but mine has done 192,000 !!!!

3M kit was very good - the lights came up amazing compared to how they were before -Opaque.

Plugs went well, but it was a game to change the three under the inlet manifold. Plenty of pictures and advice on the forum though to help. I fitted NGK's, so hopefully the last ones that will ever go in with the mileage I do per annum.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:34 AM
Veteran Member

192,000 miles is impressive. I've seen some high mileage Jaguars on ebay in amazing condition. The stearing wheel condition seems to be a give away where most drivers hold the wheel with their right hand at the 2 or 3 o clock position. The leather and wood veneer at that position go very tatty.

How long have you owned the car?

Some of the work on mine was due to necessity, like the radiator and bottom hose. I had the regular coolant leak which appears as a wet patch under the front passenger seat footwell.

Old 01-19-2017, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

I've just bought a reconditioned LH rear caliper for £70-00 plus £10 for courier.
Not on eBay where the cheapest was about £140-00

Old 01-19-2017, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

I cleaned up the headlight lenses with toothpaste just for the hell of it.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...lenses-163108/

I've got a tube and a half left so I'll do the lenses again some more this year.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member

For anyone else with a 2002 year model V6 petrol this is the difference between the two (pattern) calipers available so you know before ordering online too visually check which option is fitted to your rear hubs.

They appear to be much the same pattern caliper but fitted with two different handbrake cable mechanisms.

Type A I believe is the earlier 2002 model and Type B the later 2002 model onwards.

There is another (same year model) different type of caliper to this which I have not covered here. This is only for the one type of caliper with different handbrake mechanisms.

It is likely to just be the switch in some model parts in the middle of 2002.
But worth knowing before you buy in haste for a 2002/2003 car.
Or even a seller that doesn't know the difference.

Type A.

Type B.

There is possibly different cable end fittings for each of these caliper types?. But as I am reusing my existing cables this isn't an issue for me.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:28 AM
Received 2,263 Likes on 1,845 Posts

This may correspond with the changeover to an EPB on the 2002.5 and later cars.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Busa
The stearing wheel condition seems to be a give away where most drivers hold the wheel with their right hand at the 2 or 3 o clock position. The leather and wood veneer at that position go very tatty.

How long have you owned the car?

S
I have ordered some leather Dye from furniture Clinic which I hope is a good match for the seats and the Steering wheel. You can definately tell if the previous owner was ring wearer! I have carried out repairs and recolouring of the seats and steering wheel on my other cars and its gone pretty well. So here's hoping for the Jag. Had the car a month. SORN'd until the Spring.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:09 AM
Veteran Member

The reconditioned caliper arrived by courier today.
Looks pretty good and cheaper than the cheapest car parts breakers.
Its a UK company.

The other issue is the EPB motor which fell apart as my mechanic started work. A new OE item is about £240 plus fitting. A lot of money for what looks like a piece of tat.
So I have bought a used EPB motor today for £60 with a 3 month warranty on the part only. I might just paint it with black Hammerite to try and give it some more life before it goes on the car, although that might negate any warranty.

I've been looking for the easiest way to remove the old un on the forum and it seems that lowering the diff slightly is the best way.
There is also the EPB recalibrating procedure to follow.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
This may correspond with the changeover to an EPB on the 2002.5 and later cars.
It does, thanks.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,531 Likes on 3,941 Posts

People have changed the motor with some difficulty without dropping the diff.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagV8
People have changed the motor with some difficulty without dropping the diff.
I certainly hope so, if there's a way I'm sure my mechanic will work it out.
He doesn't want to drop the rear diff or the subframe. Infact he wants to avoid touching the rear subframe all together.

I bit the bullet yesterday and bought a used EPB motor for £60 with a 90 day warranty, checked and tested. From an established Jaguar breakers.
So here's keeping everything crossed. It will be here tomorrow.

Last edited by Busa; 01-24-2017 at 11:36 AM.