XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,795 Likes on 2,628 Posts

Ah Ha!

Cheers Greg

I see what Daim means now, I thought those 4 Bolts that go into the Diff, also went right through the Car.

So theoretically getting the Cage out, might be even easier than I first thought.

Old 01-25-2017, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member

Its suddenly occurred to me that I should update my stock of Tools, as without the Kit to do the Job it almost feels as if I am taking out a Princess

to some sort of fast food gaff.

And if like us you are lucky enough to be driving one of the Swankiest cars on the Planet, then I think you'll agree She deserves a bit more than

trying to keep her in the style to which She's become accustomed, than using a jumble of secondhand Spanners that have been kept in a Shoe
box.

Guilty as Charged so time I was sent down:

To my local Tool Shop to get me some upmarket kit.

So assuming I can find myself one of those Tool Cabinets with all those lovely slide out drawers, never having had one or ever seen one up

close, what on earth am I supposed to put in them?

As I thought that all the Spanners were supposed to be on hangers on your Garage/Shop wall, where you can see them.

So what Tools should you keep in the draws and also the Cupboards underneath?

Last edited by orangeblossom; 01-25-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

You can get spanner racks that fit in the draws, and all sorts of other tool holding devices to fit in the draws.

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Obviously you want a nice sorted set up. My plans were: draw for imperial spanners and imperial alan keys. Draw for metric spanners and alan keys. Draw for ratchets with extensions as well as clip on bits and adapters. Draw seperated in two halves one for imperial sockets and the other for metric sockets. So that is already 4 draws. Most cabinets then have some bigger draws for odds and sods like multimeter, special tools, fbh, rubber hammer, pliers, pipe grips, stiltsons, ...

But then again, everyone has their own order. My dad's order isnall in their boxes and all boxes are just 'thrown together'. We have a tool box full of spanners, metric and imperial. So you search for hours. Then loads of screw drivers, sockets are all mixed up and in no order... He can work like that, I can't...

orangeblossom (01-26-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Warrjon

Thanks, I never knew that, I'll have a look on ebay to try and get some ideas, as having loose Spanners laying in draws seems to defeat the object of having your Tools organized, though maybe I am wrong?

If anyone has any photos of how they arrange their Tool drawers, that would be very useful to me.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Daim

Cheers!

I know you're an ACE Photographer, so if you have any photos of your Setup to share with us all then that would be great.

Old 01-25-2017, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

No box yet... Need to biy one when funds are there again.. Until then, I use the original packaging...

orangeblossom (01-25-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Daim

Cheers! looking forward to the Photos of your Setup when you are ready.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:15 AM
Veteran Member

I do not have a tool box on wheels, I went a different route. I use racing on wheels so I can pull it out as well as a tool board. The other side of the tool board has all my screwdivers, spanners, hammers etc.

Even though my shed is quite large I wanted to maximise the space, so the rollout shelves are very compact. The tool board is great, I can wheel it around to where I am working.

The following 3 users liked this post by warrjon:
Jonathan-W (01-27-2017), orangeblossom (01-26-2017), paulyling (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 02:37 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Warrjon

Wowzer!

Now that's what I call a Shed!

I've seen houses smaller than that and that board setup is a great idea.

I've got about a dozen of those Nylon Casters similar to the ones that you are using, so I will look into making something, which I can use for the Tools that I have and am going to get.

Many Thanks

For Posting that you have some great ideas.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yeah, wowee, if I had that much space!!!

Way back when, circa 49 or so, I worked in a "gas station". An old time professional mechanic rented a shop in the same building. He and an apprentice "fixed' all manner of cars. Usually older ones. All of his tools were mounted on a huge tool board. Each had it's designated space. The last task for the apprentice each day was to dump all the tools used that day into a big tub. It was filled with gasoline. One by one they were retrieved, wiped and hung on the board.

Wonder on wonder my parents had upgraded. Our "new to us" house had a two garages, made of native stone and side by side. Only one had a cement floor. Dad got that one for our 38 Dodge. But, wowee, I got the other for my 23 T "hot rod".

Using used boards ands basic carpenter tools, I built a smaller version of Wayne's bench and tool board. I had a basic socket set and drives and a collection of wrenches, a pair of pliers and a screw driver or two. The collection began.

Today's version: Stand by for the next post !!

Carl

Old 01-26-2017, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member

Along the left wall. Front to rear. Smallisn air compressor on wheels. Bash bench on casters. OXY acetylene torch, old HF metal cutting band saw. Seldom used creeper, small table saw. Miter saw. HF version of a classic Delta wood cutting band saw. Ancient electric motor driving an arbor shaft with a wire wheel. two shelves above with everything from books to paints and wax and polish accoutrements.
Tins of worn drive clamps and drifts of various classes along with chisels, both wood and metal.

Right wall front to rear. Stack of tote bins with Cadillac and Jaguar parts. HF MIG torch. Full bench all along the wall. peg boards above. Atlas lathe, drill press. Belt and disc sander. Hefty vice. Tin clad work surface. Above, front to rear. Peg board. Hand tools of many kinds. From safety wire pliers, brake tools, spanners, pipe wrenches. Pliers, screw drivers. And two tins of vice grips and rougher drivers. Greasy corner. Oil cans, grease guns, funnels, etc.
Under side. Trolley jacks, bottle jacks, mechanical jacks, many jack stands, ramps. crow bars.

Back wall, even more diverse. Another post to come.

Carl

Old 01-26-2017, 08:22 AM
Veteran Member

Back wall. Unfortunately, shared with a tankless water heater and a clothes dryer.
Short ladder. Short saw horses. Two cabinets. Air tools, hammers and dollies. Air and electric impact wrenches,scan tool.

Two boxes with sliding drawers above. Sockets and drives in many types. Each drawer lined in black short pile carpet.

Shelves above. Belt sander. Big sander grinder. Small grinder. Large and small corded hand drills. Straight and angled drill/drivers. Two tap and die sets.

Several tool boxes. Solder tools. Tubing tools, wiring box, tune up box.

And lots more, propane torch, etc.

Carl

Old 01-26-2017, 11:07 AM
Received 141 Likes on 113 Posts

All you need now is a fold up bed for when you want to take a nap.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:56 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Guys

I have built myself a Shed, which has been designated as XJS HQ which measures 21ft X 21ft If it were completely empty it would hold 3 X XJS's side by side but unfortunately not have room for Tools.

So I've only got Two XJS's in there at the moment, to give me the extra room I need and I've put another one under a Car Port, which will be easy to drive out from in the Summer.

And at the End of the Car Port, I've built myself a Tool Store out of Old Garage Doors and have already fitted it with a Work Bench.

Underneath the Work Bench is a Metal Two Drawer Filing Cabinet, in which I've put my Spanners in Polythene Food Containers.

And I've been Shopping 'Big Time' as I've bought myself a Power Hacksaw and a Radial Arm Saw, plus I've got a Mig Welder, which was a Gift from the GF's Dad, to keep me out of his hair and enough reels of Mig Wire to reach from here to the Moon and probably back!

Industrial Bench Grinder, picked up in a Yard Sale today, which has got some very dodgy Wiring and needs some New Grinding Wheels (advice needed on those please)

Yet another Angle Grinder (Brand New £12) no Instructions and the disc key was missing but I've got a Spare one.

At the Same Yard Sale, an Oxford 300 AMP Stick Welder that is also a Battery Charger and will apparently Start a Car from Cold.

The only Problem being that somethings wrong with it and it keeps blowing Fuses.

Too Cold to sort that out at the moment, so no doubt I'll be hitting up Warrjon and others for advice on getting it going, as it looks the absolute 'dogs ********) and will be very useful even if I only use it to charge Batteries. and as it was only £30! I wasn't leaving without it.

At another Yard Sale I also picked up another Welding Set, which was a Brand New Stick Welder for only £15 OMG!

Its still in the Box so I don't even know what it looks like (Stand By for the Unboxing)

Also Two Brand New 240 Volt Electric Winches, which are going up in the Roof of my Workshop or I might put one in the Garage and another one under the Car Port (again advice/ideas) needed.

I could have done with one of those to lift up the Air Con Motor when I changed the Spark Plugs.

Again No Idea what they look like or how much they lift, so another un-boxing to come on those and your Advice needed.

They were a bit of an impulse buy, so I'm not even sure if I really need them at all.

In another box that Came with them are what looks like Swiveling Jibs, so no idea if I need those or not.

And it doesn't Stop there, Two (Brand New) Electric Drills one of them holds a Chisel or a Drill, I think?

Plus another drill that I cannot undo the Chuck On for some reason (help needed with that please)

Then I went to an Auction Sale and went a bit mad!

An Air Wrench plus Two Air Powered Hacksaws plus an Air Chisel and a Spray Gun plus Various Pullers and Ball Joint Separators.

Two Massive Plastic Tarps about 20 X 20 and other stuff I can't even remember.

So Keep Checking Back as I will be doing un-boxings and putting up Photos of what I've bought and would love your advice on.

And then just when I was thinking that it was 'Safe to go back in the Water'

I Hit the Jack Pot! with an Hilarious Cold Call from an Energy Supplier, that he is already wishing that he had never made!

Stay tuned for that its a Classic!

Old 01-26-2017, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Warrjon

Wowzer!

Now that's what I call a Shed!

I've seen houses smaller than that and that board setup is a great idea.

I've got about a dozen of those Nylon Casters similar to the ones that you are using, so I will look into making something, which I can use for the Tools that I have and am going to get.

Many Thanks

For Posting that you have some great ideas.
Yeah my shed is as big as my house.....

I got the idea for the roller shelves from a another interweb guy who built a compactus like structure but with hinges so it folds like fan. Keeps everything neat and tidy.

I also built a mobile work bench, this is not heavy duty but a great surface to keep tools or do assembly/measuring.

I am a great believer in having the correct tool for the job and making life easy.

The following 3 users liked this post by warrjon:
Jonathan-W (01-27-2017), orangeblossom (01-26-2017), paulyling (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 04:09 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Warrjon

Amazing!

I've got quite a lot of Catching up to do, although as long as I've got enough to be able to fix the XJS and keep it 'up to Snuff' then I will be happy with that.

For the time being.........

Old 01-26-2017, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Ron

No time for Sleeping in our house, always too much going on!

Old 01-26-2017, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Carl

Lots of great ideas, keep em coming!

Old 01-27-2017, 06:32 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Guys

Help needed please!

The moment that I clapped eyes on this drill, I knew I was looking at a Bargain, except that I wasn't the only one as so was everyone else.

But that's not all I had in common with the other 'Punters' who were looking at it, as none of us could manage to get the Chuck undone.

And if the Chuck were broken, then to all intents and purposes it would be worthless, and probably cost more to repair than to buy a New one.

I've also got another drill which is a little bit smaller but of the very same make and that drill has a button to lock the Motor, so that you are able to undo the Chuck to put a drill in.

But this one doesn't have a button or any other means of locking the motor, so the Chuck can be undone and I watched dozens of people, trying to get the Chuck undone but without success.

So when this Lot came under the Hammer, nobody wanted it and so I managed to nail it for £5 and I reckon that if I could somehow get the Chuck to undo, it would be worth around £50

As I have seen a Badged version of a Similar Drill on Ebay but I don't want to Sell it, I want to use it to make stuff for my workshop to work on my XJS.

This is just one of the many Tools I picked up yesterday, so please feel free to check back.

So over to you guys, as I am in no way a mechanic.

How on earth do I get this Chuck undone? (any ideas)

Although it says Release on the Chuck, it doesn't release its locked Solid! and won't come undone. (even with Mole Grips!)

DRAPER EXPERT 710W VARIABLE SPEED ELECTRIC HAMMER ACTION POWER DRILL WITH CASE | eBay

Brand New Drill But I can't get the Chuck undone

Bargain of the year! £5!
But only if I can get the Chuck undone, as unlike my other drill, there is no button I can see so I can lock the Motor to undo the Chuck.

Last edited by orangeblossom; 01-27-2017 at 06:36 AM.
Jonathan-W (01-27-2017)

Quick Reply: Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12