XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,780 Likes on 2,617 Posts

Hi Warrjon

Many Thanks

I knew you could find the Answer that I was looking for.

The following users liked this post:
paulyling (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Default Drill Chuck Mystery Solved! (but not by me!)

We have lift off!

Just to recap, I bought a Brand New Drill in an Auction Sale for only £5!

So how come so cheap?

Loads of people were after it but no one knew how to get the Chuck undone, it looked like something was broken inside, as no matter how much you twisted and turned it the Drill Chuck was locked solid and would not undo.

And so for only a fiver, which was my 'maiden bid' it was knocked down to me and as soon as I got the pesky thing home, I have been literally climbing the walls with frustration, at how to get the Chuck unlocked to hold a drill.

If you have a good look at photo one, you will be able to see that the Chuck has what looks like a very fine join in the middle, which seemed to indicate that you held the rear section steady and then undid the other bit with your other hand.

Except that it wouldn't budge it was locked rock solid, at which point I figured (incorrectly) that both halves of the rubber Chuck had been machined so smooth, that as soon as they touched together, their surfaces would Stick like Superglue!

So I put the Electric Drill in the Fridge 'like you do' to try and Shrink the Surfaces so they would come apart.

And when that didn't work I plunged the Chuck in Hot water and when I found that didn't work, I went for the 'Nuclear Option' and made a Cup of Tea to Calm my Nerves!

But the reason that I really seem to be Hating myself right now, it that the GF went and Solved the problem and in the process 'The Princess' deluded though She is, has gone and taken the word 'Smug' to another level.

Notice the very fine join in the middle of the rubber drill Chuck.
But if you hold the back half still, you still can't unlock it.

In Order to unlock the Chuck, you have to pull the back half of the Chuck towards the drill, at which point you can feel a ball bearing click.

Then you can put a drill bit in and twist both halves of the rubber Chuck in opposite directions, in order to grip the drill.

Once the drill bit is gripped in the Jaws of the Chuck, you push the back half of the

Chuck towards the drill bit to lock it.

And then its Job Done!

All Credit apparently goes to the GF!

The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
Greg in France (01-29-2017), paulyling (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 06:34 PM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts

Ha ha ha no way! She beat ya to it OB.

Don't feel bad...sounds like other people at the auction didn't know how to work it either.

Also nice radio by the way...I am jealous...you always find cool stuff.

But...my all time favorite is that bloody Air Compressor you bought (I think for 10 pounds). Man that looked like a wreck and you managed to get it coming up looking like new. How is it going by the way?

Well mate...you continue to inspire me

orangeblossom (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Another bargain sorted, good to see

The following 2 users liked this post by warrjon:
orangeblossom (01-28-2017), paulyling (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member

Bro

I haven't made an Injector Loom yet, so you've already set the Bar very high and if and when I need one, I'll be asking for your Advice!

Compressor is working AOK and while I was at the Auction, I bought a Shed load of Air Tools which I will be doing some reviews on.

GF Continues to wallow deep in Smugsville (is that a word?) and wants to know what I want fixing next, the Smug little Minx!

paulyling (01-28-2017)
Old 01-28-2017, 07:09 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Warrjon

Cheers!

That drill made my head spin but we got there in the end! (or rather She did!)

paulyling (01-28-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 02:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,258 Likes on 5,438 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Genius or What!

You were Bang on Warrjon, what you don't know about Hi Fi, you don't need to know!

So it looks like a Special Edition?

Not sure of the date though.

Yes She has an AC Socket on the rear.

Here is the Serial Number
Is this the Special Edition, that you were talking about?

Honour goes to Warrjon! No way an original would have had "antique radio" on the label! Neither would it have had a CE marque on it, that did not exist in the 1950s! But is obviously is a dead on reproduction of the original though.
Greg

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
orangeblossom (01-29-2017), paulyling (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 02:31 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Greg

I'll just do what Warrjon said, use it and enjoy it but it still authentically goes off tune just like the 1960's version may have done.

paulyling (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Default My Back Up Plan For A Mechanical Fan

As many of you may have gathered by now, I'm switching over to efans (electric Fans) and 'MY' only reason for doing so is that the White Nylon Fans (which go yellow with age) are no longer available in the UK.

Given the choice I'd much prefer to have a Mechanical Fan, because its dead Simple and doesn't start draining the battery which in turn makes the Alternator work harder to top that up (or so I believe)

Its really a matter of Personal Choice and nothing more than that, so when my Original Nylon Fan started getting 'Stress Cracks' I really had no option but to try and replace it, as I had also just fitted a Re-Cored Radiator.

And I didn't want a Stressed Cracked Blade, to suddenly decide to break off and then fly through the Core, where it would almost always damage the Bonnet/Hood as well.

So in order to overcome this I ordered what was described as an OEM Fan, which turned out to be a Black Fan, which was nothing like the Original OEM Fan.

For Starters the Boss was only one inch across in depth, when compared to the Original which was almost twice the depth and instead of having the Deep Dish Hub, which looked Bullet Proof, it just had a Flat Disc in the Middle.

Which didn't look exactly very strong and in case I forget to mention it, wouldn't fit on my Car, because it brought the drive belts much too close to the Fan and as such might Chafe on the Blades.

Where in order to overcome this 'little problem' I would also have to buy a different Fan Clutch (quite expensive in the UK at around £60)

Although to be fair the New Black Fans will bolt straight on to some Cars, though sadly not on mine, so it had to go back.

In view of that I really didn't seem to have much choice, except to go and then Switch over to Electric Fans (efans) which of course you cannot buy off the Shelf to fit an XJS and as such does require a bit of 'Fettling'

Otherwise known as making it up as you go along and you can see how I did that else where in this thread and used a couple of Twin Fans from an XJ40 so all that's really left to do is to wire them up.

But then it did occur to me, what would I do if they didn't work out in the way that I was hoping they would or else I decided for reasons yet unknown, that maybe I just plainly did not like them.

And for that I felt I needed to have a 'Back up Plan'

So off to the good old USA where I placed an order for a Fan that I knew was not going to fit!

The difference being That the Blades were about one inch too long and it also had a deeper dish that was the closest I could find to the Original Fan.

Apart from that it looked Similar to the Original and if you feel like doing the same, just make sure the place you get it from isn't using ('Generic' Product Photos) or who knows they might send you a 'Black Fan'

So rather than get myself involved in your disappointment should that happen, I will leave you to do what I did and get them to send you a Photo of the Actual Fan you will be getting.

Where having decided that this Fan would be close enough, I 'took a punt'

Ok so now I've got the Fan but it won't fit the Shroud cause its too big, so the first thing I did was to knock up a quick marker and then go round each Fan Blade marking how much to cut off.

Then once having done so I got the Hacksaw out but that Nylon Material that the Fan is made from, is just so heavy duty (which of course is good!) that a Normal Hacksaw wouldn't touch it, unless of course you've got nothing to do for a Week!

And so it was out with the Electric Jig Saw but even that was hard going though patience paid off and I got there in the end, where my New home made Fan was a perfect fit in my Original Pre-Face lift Shroud.

Although I'm very tempted to take out the Electric Fans and put the Mechanical Fan back, I think that I will give the Electric Fans a try out first and see how they go, as they do give you a lot more room in the Engine Compartment and who knows.

They may work even better, so I will just have to suck it and see to find out.

OEM Replacement Black Fan wouldn't fit my Car as without the dished hub the Blades were too close to the drive belts.

It could have been that maybe I had a different Fan Clutch as it seems to fit on other XJS's without any problem, though sadly not mine!

On my Home made Fan The Blades were too long so I just cut them down with a Jig Saw.

It only took 30 Minutes then Job done!

I just cut the Blades down with a Jigsaw

Old 01-29-2017, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member

What about balance? Weigh each bit of fan blade you cut off if they are all the same then balance will be unaffected.

Jonathan-W (01-30-2017), orangeblossom (01-29-2017)
Old 01-29-2017, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Warrjon

Cheers, I never thought of that so unfortunately I don't know which one of those off cuts came off which of those Blades.

But I've heard you can do something similar with a Strobe Light, so I'll have a look and see if I can find it and then maybe you could advise me how to use it to check the Balance of the Blades.

Although I may not need this Fan, as I just put it together in case I find the efans don't work as well as I am hoping.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 366 Likes on 294 Posts

I mounted the BLACK fan, works great!
did not even remove sticker!

orangeblossom (01-30-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Jonathan, I'll be using the same one. I don't want electrical fans as they tend to make the engine sound "broken"... Yes, that sounds weird BUT... On a cold start, the viscous clutch makes the fan loud... So it covers many sounds these engines can make What I can't hear can't be broken

When my X308 runs, it sounds rattly and tattly but is totally healthy... Just because of the electrical fans.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Way back when, before the Jaguar conversion, I built a "hot rod of the 40's". I wanted a reliable mechanical fan of the era. I chose a big four blader of about 1946 vintage. Too big in diameter by bout an inch on each blade. A two inch total reduction in diameter. I scribed a line parallel to the original curved end. I used one of my metals saws to make the cut. Far easier than I expected. I used the part I removed to scribe the other blades. Figuring that what I removed from each blade would be pretty much the same. wonder on wonder, it worked out just fine...

Carl

Old 01-30-2017, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Jonathan

If I could have got the Black Fan to fit I would have put it on but the Blades came too close to the belts and I know I'm not the only one who has had this problem, as someone else put up a Post about it, as they found the Black Fan required a different shape/model Fan Clutch.

And while I know some people are Converting their Cars to efans I would have much rather kept to the Original Set Up.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Default Bench Grinder (Should I repair or replace the Cable?)

Hi Guys

I picked up this 'Bench Grinder' in a Yard Sale, where apart from the fact that the Wheels need replacing it works!

And runs like a bird.

But its got a bit of nasty cut in the Mains Cable, so should I put some tape around it or replace the Cable.

Getting the Mains Cable cover off looks a bit of a PIA, as all the Screws that hold it on, are all rusted to hell.

Also any advice on what Wheels to buy.

Basically I need it for Sharpening things like Drills/Chisels/Screwdrivers etc

Should I have one Coarse Wheel and one Fine Wheel, or something else?

Just Picked this up in a Yard Sale, it runs like a Bird but its got a bad cut in the Cable, so should I replace the Cable or Repair it.

Should I repair or replace the Cable on this Bench Grinder?

paulyling (01-31-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,258 Likes on 5,438 Posts

Replace it OB. if easier, you can buy proper joiners, then just cut out the broken bit and splice it together with the joiner.
Greg

Old 01-30-2017, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member

Replace the cable, for a few $ it's not worth the potential danger. I use extension leads which you can buy at the supermarket for $5 and cut them to length.

Greg in France (01-30-2017), orangeblossom (01-30-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Greg

That's a good idea but I think it would be better, if I could re-cable it end to end and by using my favorite locking pliers instead of a Screwdriver as the Screwdriver Slots are rusted away, I think there may be just a chance that I can remove the base plate.

Although the heads on these machine Screws were completely rusted away, I've managed to remove one with my locking pliers and the second one is also starting to turn.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:22 PM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts

Possibly not relevant but I just picked up this little beauty yesterday from the op shop. I have a "thing" for typewriters and always wanted to start collecting them. Bought my first one yesterday...it seems to work but the ink tape in it is all dried out.

Perhaps I could take it with me in the XJS and type about my road adventures?

Quick Reply: Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12