F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 09:22 AM
Received 43 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Custom Exhaust

So I have already gotten rid of the huge muffler that our cars use but I am taking it one step further with downpipes.

In order to clean it all up, I will be getting a custom medrill bent system build from the headers back, an x-pipe and dual single chamber mufflers out back.

Our current set up is 2.25" piping and I know it is that way all across all the platforms, but will a 3" pipe yield any benefit?

The price difference is marginal between the two so I wanted to see if this will do anything what so ever.

I have the V6S AWD model and future mods will include a pulley, tune and either a custom build intake or possibly the Eventuri one.

Any advice/tips are welcome

Old 01-30-2017, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by PunisherFType
So I have already gotten rid of the huge muffler that our cars use but I am taking it one step further with downpipes.

In order to clean it all up, I will be getting a custom medrill bent system build from the headers back, an x-pipe and dual single chamber mufflers out back.

Our current set up is 2.25" piping and I know it is that way all across all the platforms, but will a 3" pipe yield any benefit?

The price difference is marginal between the two so I wanted to see if this will do anything what so ever.

I have the V6S AWD model and future mods will include a pulley, tune and either a custom build intake or possibly the Eventuri one.

Increasing pipe size will reduce the back pressure and, consequently, the boost. So, without a custom tune to take advantage of the new configuration, you may actually loose a skosh of power. My advice would be to stick with the OEM diameter and focus on the pulley and tune.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:22 AM

The biggest issue I have right now is the butchered job that was done by an exhaust shop.
The pipes are bent all wrong and it is leak city under there, meaning I will HAVE to replace all of it before I go insane. Do you just recommend the 2 1/2" piping for now then and then grab the tune etc?

Old 01-30-2017, 11:51 AM
Received 74 Likes on 53 Posts

F-Type V6S Coupe

Look at the bottom, these guys make unique and awesome products, definitely stands out from any other exhaust! Very high quality too!

Old 01-30-2017, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member

The biggest issue I have right now is the butchered job that was done by an exhaust shop.
The pipes are bent all wrong and it is leak city under there, meaning I will HAVE to replace all of it before I go insane. Do you just recommend the 2 1/2" piping for now then and then grab the tune etc?
Yes...just use OEM pipe sizes and do the pulley and tune. BTW, what kind if work were you trying to get the muffler shop to do? If something went bad this soon, it should have been under warranty.

Originally Posted by Holy F type
F-Type V6S Coupe
Look at the bottom, these guys make unique and awesome products, definitely stands out from any other exhaust! Very high quality too!
+1. The quality of all of their workmanship is top notch.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Yes...just use OEM pipe sizes and do the pulley and tune. BTW, what kind if work were you trying to get the muffler shop to do? If something went bad this soon, it should have been under warranty.
We tried to do some custom exhaust and it didn't come out the way I would have liked for it to.

+1. The quality of all of their workmanship is top notch.
Problem is this:
With them I can get a downpipe and the muffler/tips.
This still leaves the entire mid section of the car along with an X-Pipe needing to be fabricated.

The price of Downpipe and Muffler from them exceeds the cost of doing a custom downpipe, mid pipe, x-pipe, and dual single res mufflers and 4" tips coming out the back.

No matter if I go with theirs or a custom one, without headers and a lot more boost, the HP increase will be marginal from the exhaust so I have a hard time spending way too much money on it when there are other mods I would like to get done ASAP.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 323 Posts

Never cut up the stock exhaust ... rule one. The stock exhaust with open valves is already very efficient, really barely any performance points scored, what is 20hp?. Weight, yes some but the exhaust is purely for the sound.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Schwabe
Never cut up the stock exhaust ... rule one. The stock exhaust with open valves is already very efficient, really barely any performance points scored, what is 20hp?. Weight, yes some but the exhaust is purely for the sound.
I have done a custom exhaust and got rid of my stock one on every vehicle I have ever owned! It is mostly for sound, this is the first time I got a butchered up job, but it wont stop me from doing it again

Old 01-31-2017, 12:01 PM
Received 853 Likes on 480 Posts

Consider this - your OEM cat/downpipe section is not only exactly the same diameter, but literally the same parts as the V8R making 550BHP or the SVR, making 575BHP.

If it is large enough to manage that output level and the airflow from two more cylinders, then there's no way that your V6S is being restricted by the tube diameter.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

The following 3 users liked this post by Stuart@VelocityAP:
DJS (01-31-2017), jfranks (02-01-2017), Panthro (02-02-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 10:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

He is going to do the exhaust, so the best advise is to do it before the tune. My experience:

There will be loss of torque on the low end of the rpm. You will notice that sometimes, when you press on the gas, the car seems to not respond as hard, and sometimes it will push really good. Depends on what part of the firing sequence you hit at the time of launch. That is what happened with my old XF. I did the resonator delete and straight pipes to the rear boxes and torque was intermittent. You wont like it. But...if you have the tune planned, then that will provide overboost and give you the increase in back pressure to correct that. I never got around to doing a tune on my old one, but plan on getting my new XF tuned this month. Exhaust Authority will get you a cusom exhaust and they can bend aluminum pipes in house for weight reduction.

The Eventuri intake is one bad *** looking part !! It would look so tight inside the engine bay!!!

Last edited by Cherry_560sel; 01-31-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
The Eventuri intake is one bad *** looking part !! It would look so tight inside the engine bay!!!
The problem is, you can only see the intake from below when the car is up on a lift. Can't see any of it from above with the hood open.

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 96 Likes on 86 Posts

The problem is, you can only see the intake from below when the car is up on a lift. Can't see any of it from above with the hood open.
WTF!!! For real??? makes no sense to hide $1800 worth of engine eye candy!

Old 02-01-2017, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cherry_560sel
WTF!!! For real??? makes no sense to hide $1800 worth of engine eye candy!
Here are the only two views you can get of the Eventuri, and that's after you remove the inner fender liner and the belly pan.