XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Heating temp seems kinda low

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2017, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 798 Likes on 670 Posts
Default Heating temp seems kinda low

Takes quite a bit of time to heat the cabin, will get warm enough after a while. Shutting the vent helps to warm things a little faster, but the car keeps opening the vent after a short time.Is this normal?

Old 03-06-2017, 01:25 PM
Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts

Do you have access to an OBD2 diagnostic code reader? Where does the needle on the temperature gauge point when warm? Should be about in the middle (third white line) of the gauge or a tad lower/higher when fully warm. With the engine running and the coolant at operating temperature the OBD2 reader will tell you what the coolant temp is (assuming you are using a middle-high end code reader). Just keep scrolling until you see the coolant temperature reading in F. My XJ-8 (2004) NA reads 196-198F at idle after 15-20 miles of warm up time. It reads ~185F while on the road and air hitting the radiator.

Do you have full coolant? Low coolant can affect heater for the cabin on many cars.
If you get an odd reading on the OCD2, maybe it is the thermostat.

I'd use an OCD code reader as a first step then take it from there. Plenty of folks here will have greater detail than I am capable of offering. Good luck.

Old 03-06-2017, 01:26 PM
Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts

OBD coder reader. Pain meds are very good today.

Old 03-06-2017, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,450 Likes on 1,948 Posts

- Blocked heater matrix
- Failed auxiliary coolant pump (this is an electric pump)
- Failed fan control module

One or some of these, maybe ?

Old 03-06-2017, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Angry

Have access to a Launch VII+, to read my po101 code light, this cat keeps throwing up, all the other lights are gone.Have chased this damn cat around my garage, replacing the air filter, MAF sensor, fuel filter, four oxygen sensors, o'rings on pvc valve, checking brake booster hose, as well as looking at all vac hoses, & connections.Car runs great, tail pipe tests are very good for e check, have purchased new intake manifold gaskets, but not installed them yet, as it looks like air box back disassembly,& cleaning of the throttle body along the way, is in order. Hoping manifold itself is not cracked like some i've read about on the computer, did not realize it was made of plastic.are there any metal intake manifold's available, if so where,& how much? Back to the heater issue, antifreeze is up to full, temp stays on the middle line, no simple issues there, & no lights, heat just seems not up to par, gets warmer on the passengers side, the car warms up well, after a while, & have to turn it down .

Last edited by Wingrider; 03-06-2017 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,222 Likes on 2,368 Posts

I'm struggling to understand your initial concern. Are you saying the heater in your car isn't working well and that the passengers side is blowing out warmer than the drivers side?

If this is your issue, it's a common one. Check the temps at the vents with an IR thermometer if you want.
There are two primary causes -

One is the Auxiliary heater pump. The brushes wear out and they can be rebuilt. Do a search on it and you'll get several hits. Check this first as it is the easiest to repair.

Second is the heater core matrix itself. It's known to clog and the only solution is replacement. A lot of folks have tried flushing, back-flushing, chemicals and witches brews but the way the matrix is designed, it's futile.

What vent are you shutting that's re-opening itself? I'm a little lost on this one. If you could provide more detail, there are issues with stepper motors but I think they're rare.

Old 03-06-2017, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

No idea, where are they located, & how to check them?Thanks

Old 03-07-2017, 12:22 AM
Received 227 Likes on 169 Posts

If you mean the recirculate button as the vent then try this:

Old 03-07-2017, 05:58 AM
Veteran Member
Smile

Holding the button till it beeps twice, keeps it shut for a longer period of time, but it still reopens after a while. Need to change coolant, brake fluid, as well as upper ball joint rubber boots when they finally arrive.Will get the PO101 code figured out eventually, the transmission no longer leaks, after fluid, filter, a new steel pan, with gasket replaced. Car drives like a dream, am looking forward to getting everything squared away, & to do some serious driving this spring, this is a real road car.

Old 03-07-2017, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member

Just ordered a new auxiliary water pump, for my heating issue. Will install it, then look into rebuilding the old one, so as not be in any hurry to get it done to drive the car.Will change the pump, & coolant at the same time. Can you use the same trans fluid for power steering fluid, the Mercon S P? I have some left over from trans fluid, filter, pan,& gasket change over.