Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red leather question

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 01:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,216 Likes on 2,371 Posts
Default Red leather question

I have scuffed the leather on the driver's seat bolster, from rubbing against it as I get in and out of the car, and I would like to repair it with Gliptone Scuffmaster dye.
However the people at Gliptone don't know if they have an exact colour match for it, I have given them all the details and info I have including an internet pic of the exact same interior as mine (just LHD instead of RHD) and they still don't know.

Does anyone know the correct official Jaguar name or code for this red leather?
All I can find anywhere on the net or in brochures is "red".
The trim code on the sticker on the door jamb is CHX KG, and in the brochure it is described as "Performance seats with Red Premium leather facings and Red Premium leather interior with Jet twin needle contrast stitching" which is Interior Trim Option Code TP23. Gliptone have never heard of either of these codes.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:56 PM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

Pics of the damage? It may only need to be cleaned and conditioned.

Old 03-27-2017, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ShaunPA
Pics of the damage? It may only need to be cleaned and conditioned.
I've cleaned and conditioned and no improvement.
It looks to me that the polyurethane coating had worn off in a patch about 4" by 2", it's still red underneath but a different slightly lighter shade to the rest of the seat.
I'm now wondering if all it needs is a coat of "glossifier" on this patch, in effect replacement polyurethane. I still have a small bottle of the Gliptone glossifier from a previous repair kit. Or would this come out looking worse?

Old 03-27-2017, 02:53 PM

i've seen some "budget" videos where people have used that or paint thinner on a rag to repair old cracked leather seats. it's essentially bringing the dye back up to the surface in coated leather seats. i think it's one of those fixes that's good from far, but far from good. although i've never seen it up close and in person.

I would consult one of the big detailing forums and see what responses you get. worst case you can get a replacement seat cover, but they're expensive. about $1200 USD if i remember correctly.

Old 03-27-2017, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member

OK, here's a couple of pics:

As you can see it looks to me like just the poly coating had rubbed off.

Old 03-27-2017, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

A good auto upholsterer should be able to strip the rest of the coating from that panel and recoat.

Old 03-27-2017, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
A good auto upholsterer should be able to strip the rest of the coating from that panel and recoat.
Yep, that's now my thinking, there are a couple of such firms not far from me.
I usually try DIY first, but maybe not this time!

Last edited by OzXFR; 03-27-2017 at 09:25 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Curious to find out how everything turns out for you...if you wouldn't mind reporting back to see how things went? I'm sure others, besides me, have the same issue or will have the same issue in the future. I have the same leather red interior and love it...it's subdued not an in your face red and yet still stands out!

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Yep, that's now my thinking, there are a couple of such firms not from me.
I usually try DIY first, but maybe not this time!

The following users liked this post:
MaximA (03-27-2017)
Old 03-28-2017, 04:11 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

My '14 corvette did something very similar after about a year. Chevy replaced the seat under the warranty. Maybe check with your dealer...

Old 03-28-2017, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by IMMD
My '14 corvette did something very similar after about a year. Chevy replaced the seat under the warranty. Maybe check with your dealer...
Yep, definitely worth a try, I just emailed the dealer so we'll see what they say.

Old 03-30-2017, 08:46 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep, definitely worth a try, I just emailed the dealer so we'll see what they say.
actually looking again at your picture it is uncanny how similar the damage appears to my corvette. Let me know how this turns out for you.

Old 03-30-2017, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member

The dealer got back to me, I'm taking it in in about two hours time for them to have a look at it, I'll let you know the result.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:43 AM

curious to hear the results

Old 04-02-2017, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ShaunPA
curious to hear the results
All that happened was the "service advisor" took a few pics on his phone camera and said he would "send them to Jaguar" and get back to me. He hasn't got back yet. Why he couldn't have just used the two pics I sent him (same ones as posted earlier) and saved me the time and hassle of a trip I don't know, I'm guessing it's because my pics aren't 100% verifiable whereas pics taken by an official dealer rep are.
I asked him what my chances were of it being a warranty fix and he was non-committal.
He also said that the fix involves complete replacement of the seat back, they don't attempt to repair it, and he's seen a couple of these jobs on Range Rovers and the replacement seat backs didn't match perfectly, the leather around the stitching was "ruffled" compared to the OEM seats smooth leather.

Old 04-02-2017, 08:18 PM

All that happened was the "service advisor" took a few pics on his phone camera and said he would "send them to Jaguar" and get back to me. He hasn't got back yet. Why he couldn't have just used the two pics I sent him (same ones as posted earlier) and saved me the time and hassle of a trip I don't know, I'm guessing it's because my pics aren't 100% verifiable whereas pics taken by an official dealer rep are.
I asked him what my chances were of it being a warranty fix and he was non-committal.
He also said that the fix involves complete replacement of the seat back, they don't attempt to repair it, and he's seen a couple of these jobs on Range Rovers and the replacement seat backs didn't match perfectly, the leather around the stitching was "ruffled" compared to the OEM seats smooth leather.
I had my passenger seat cushion replaced after somebody smashed the window and broke in to the car. I have the black seats with ivory stitch. The color was 100% match. The ruffling was present at first but smoothed out over time. Downside was the wait ... about 6 weeks to get the replacement in.