F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Take off your engine cover!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 10:56 AM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

obviously a cooler engine = better performance
but has anyone done testing to see if this yield better performance, etc?

Old 04-03-2017, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by supercat'dXKR
I very much doubt it would be noticeable/measureable.

2 cents,
Dave

Old 04-03-2017, 01:17 PM
Received 852 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by supercat'dXKR
It won't boost the engine's output one iota under perfect operating conditions, but if you're pushing hard and the IAT's are 20 degrees lower, then in like for like conditions, it will be putting out more power.

O: (1)250-485-5126
E: Stuart@VelocityAP.com
www.velocityap.com

Old 04-03-2017, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I'll let you know in another 8 years.
LOL!
=)

Old 04-03-2017, 06:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by Stuart@VelocityAP
It won't boost the engine's output one iota under perfect operating conditions, but if you're pushing hard and the IAT's are 20 degrees lower, then in like for like conditions, it will be putting out more power.
+1. We saw that on the dyno. With the engine cover off, we could spend more time on the dyno before the temperature nannies kicked in and reduced the output.

Old 09-15-2022, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts

Anyone have one of these flir cameras that plugs into your phone? I have a feeling these are aggressively fun.
FLIR One Pro LT iOS Pro-Grade Thermal Camera for Smartphones https://a.co/d/dZwNTH5

Any updates from anyone? I'm not too worried about dirt, but some spirited driving popped off my cover and so I was thinking of this thread. If the overall peak temperature is lower without the cover, you would imagine there is less chance of paint wear to the bonnet paint than leaving the engine cover on?

Meaning the original concerns about color change or impact to xpel coating due to taking the engine cover off, has actually reversed with the anecdotal measurements, meaning leaving the cover on would suggest creating more heat and potential paint wear on the hood?

But this thread is so funny. We're talking about something that is not a performance enhancement that is measurable, and it's a lose-lose on aesthetics. 😂 I am sure the sound change would be another thread of 200 posts of people leaning in with their ear and furrowing their brow and discussing.

The humor in this thread is so enjoyable.

For what it's worth, my dealership (that has finally got their service department so under control it's fun to be there and talk to the guys), they were saying that the engine cover was 100% strictly for paint damage because of upward direction of heat creating peak areas that created wear, versus moving the heat around and down to protect the bonnet. It also seems to be why they added the extra insulation, around those peak areas. I am not agreeing with this but just relating what they seem to believe was logically sound reasonings.

I would be fascinated to know the factory testing that went into this versus our home testing, like how serious was the conversation at HQ, did it take 80 posts and 20 meetings like this thread, or was it some marketing guy that just walked by and said the engine is ugly.
​​

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
LOL!
=)

Last edited by Uncle Fishbits; 09-15-2022 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-15-2022, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 983 Likes on 734 Posts

I took mine off years ago and didn't even follow my own advice:

Originally Posted by lizzardo
I can't imagine it would. It's designed to protect painted surfaces. I havenb't used that exact product, but I've used a number of their others over the years and have always been satisfied. That's probably the one I'd use if I do remove or vent my engine cover.
No cover, no heat shield, no problems.

I suppose that if one were to install a hood with a plexiglass window, keeping the cover on for enhanced looks would be appropriate.

Old 09-15-2022, 02:19 PM
scm
Veteran Member
Received 1,463 Likes on 1,108 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Fishbits
... they were saying that the engine cover was 100% strictly for paint damage because of upward direction of heat creating peak areas that created wear, versus moving the heat around and down to protect the bonnet.
​​
When Jaguar first released the XKR they didn't make it available in white because they were worried that the engine heat would ruin the paintwork colo(u)r. So seems to be a recurring theme!

Old 09-15-2022, 02:38 PM
Received 258 Likes on 148 Posts

The project 7 does not come with an engine cover, So not sure that paint is much of a worry.

Old 09-16-2022, 09:23 AM
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Hot Bonnet!

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
I've been running without my engine cover for a few months now. I've never actually did a before and after so out of boredom today I drove around without it for 10 minutes and let it sit for 5 minutes. Outside temperature was a consistent 90 degrees. Without the cover on:

Put the cover back on, drove around for 10 minutes and let it sit for 5 minutes.

This is far from being scientific or super accurate to a degree but this just shows that engine cover traps a lot of heat but thats a 23 degree difference. Shoot..the P7 and SVR don't have covers. Not to mention..it weighs a friggin ton.
I think the cover is to keep the hood cool. The old SVR had more holes in the hood. The new body style has the most air flow from the front grill than any model so it doesn’t need to release heat from the hood holes as much. Try your heat test on the outside of the hood.🤔

Even the Range Rover SVR has an engine cover.

Old 09-18-2022, 04:48 PM
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Without the cover water through the bonnet vents could cause the injectors to seize in the heads.

The following users liked this post:
F-type-r-2022 (09-18-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 02:21 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by glenno
Without the cover water through the bonnet vents could cause the injectors to seize in the heads.
Only on RWD cars, the AWD vents are lower down the hood/bonnet and have covers underneath to deflect any incoming water (well, that's the case on my MY18).

Old 09-19-2022, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

Too bad the S.Ch. cover was not polished, just for aesthetics.

Old 09-19-2022, 07:54 AM
scm
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
You've not seen Unhingd's then?

Old 09-19-2022, 08:39 AM
Received 368 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
I would have liked the Supercharger cover to have been anodized or painted gold, in homage to the gold top of the engine block on the E Type. But I guess their engineers wanted an engine cover from the start so they would have nixed that extra expense.

Old 09-19-2022, 10:40 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

Originally Posted by scm
You've not seen Unhingd's then?
Here it was, back in 2018…

Old 09-19-2022, 11:11 AM
Received 89 Likes on 51 Posts

Do we know what Jag's intent with the hood vents was? Was it heat or air pressure release. On race cars you vent the hood to extract air to lower air pressure under the hood to improve air flow through the radiator by increasing the front to rear air pressure differential across the radiator. I'm asking because it seems that if paint/xpel damage is not an issue, then the only reason to keep the cover on is to stop water getting to the head. And that begs the question of closing the vents and leaving the cover off for the lower engine temp benefit. What do we think?

Old 09-19-2022, 01:23 PM
Received 78 Likes on 27 Posts

While I can't speak for Jaguar's engineers and their intent, the hood vents are effective for both lowering air pressure under the hood (evacuating some of the flow coming in through the radiator) and exhausting heat. Place your hand over one of the vents when the car is stationary after getting to full operating temp and the heat exiting the vent is quite apparent. The Jaguar GT-4 cars use two large openings to duct all of the radiator flow out the hood (thus preventing this air from pressurizing the underhood area), as well as maintaining the SVR louvers for some additional underhood pressure and heat evacuation.

Old 09-20-2022, 07:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 478 Likes on 323 Posts

The polished cover looks really good. Di not know if I have that much patience. I am getting my cover carbon fibered by the 'Hydrographic' Process. Have done other panels and the look good(IMHO). Will post pix when finished.

Old 09-20-2022, 03:57 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm not sure 100%, but I think pulling off the engine cover doesn't work to cool down the engine. I think it is only the air flow in the hood that is important. More high is the flow, more heat goes out through the vents on the hood. The air flow move from outside down in the low radiator to the vents over the engine. More high is the flow, more heat go out. The engine cover do nothing about cooling. Also the shape of the vents is crucial. In the 2021 - f type the hood vents are a lot more efficient than previous model year. Also taking temperatures with car not moving is unusefull, in this case an engine cover can obviously stop a bit the heat in the hood but this doesn't matter. Engine need cooling down when the car is moving!

Last edited by spegor; 09-20-2022 at 04:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Take off your engine cover!