Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat tire

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017 | 10:14 AM
|
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Flat tire

Got in my car the other day and the back right tire was showing 1 psi. This is what I found. It's been plugged once. Time for a new tire. Two questions...

The back tires have never really had much tread. I don't really know much about tires and I was wondering if that was typical of high performance tires. My friend has a Z06 and he pointed out that his tires are very low tread and instead are tacky in order to hold to the ground.

Also, for anyone who has already replaced their tires, did you replace all four and did you replace with the original stock tires. I don't track the car and we do occasionally get slick roads in the winter, and was thinking an all season tire might be more appropriate. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-03-2017 | 10:21 AM
Received 402 Likes on 212 Posts

I don't know anyone here that's replaced their Pirelli P-Zeros with Pirellis' again. The top choice here is the Michelin Pilot Super Sports soon to be replaced by the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

I'm tempted to try the Kumho Ecsta PS91. According to TireRack, they performed just a tick under the Michelins and the Pirellis. The attractive part is the value aspect.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=218

Old 04-03-2017 | 10:35 AM
Received 72 Likes on 27 Posts

Swing by Discount Tire and they will measure the tread depth for you. I had to replace both rear tires bc of flats. I have a tire and wheel warranty thru Jaguar. I just recently replaced all 4 P-Zeros with the new Michelin Pilot Super Sport 4S tires.

I am very pleased with them so far. Much quitter on the road.

Old 04-03-2017 | 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,612 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by IMMD

Got in my car the other day and the back right tire was showing 1 psi. This is what I found. It's been plugged once. Time for a new tire. Two questions...

The back tires have never really had much tread. I don't really know much about tires and I was wondering if that was typical of high performance tires. My friend has a Z06 and he pointed out that his tires are very low tread and instead are tacky in order to hold to the ground.

Also, for anyone who has already replaced their tires, did you replace all four and did you replace with the original stock tires. I don't track the car and we do occasionally get slick roads in the winter, and was thinking an all season tire might be more appropriate. Thanks in advance.
I swapped my OEM's to Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06's - Ultra-High Performance All-Season's - 2 years ago and have never looked back.

I would certainly keep all 4 tires the same.

Old 04-03-2017 | 11:09 AM
|

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
I don't know anyone here that's replaced their Pirelli P-Zeros with Pirellis' again. The top choice here is the Michelin Pilot Super Sports soon to be replaced by the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

I'm tempted to try the Kumho Ecsta PS91. According to TireRack, they performed just a tick under the Michelins and the Pirellis. The attractive part is the value aspect.

great info from everyone. Appreciate your input. I think based on that head to head comparison article, I'm going to go with the Ecstas. It will be at least half the cost with nearly the same performance. My only reservation is the road noise. That's really the only metric I'm particularly concerned about.

Old 04-03-2017 | 11:42 AM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I have the tire and wheel insurance through jaguar which helps for blowouts, curb rash etc....I had to replace the rears about 2 years in due to wear (only approx 9,000 miles), the service guy said it was likely the RWD made this worse and that he'd seen the f types blow through tires pretty quickly. Then last week I hit a pothole and caused a little bubble in my front tire and had to replace it (covered under my insurance) but the other front tire wasn't. In the end I replaced all 4 tires with pirellis and not michelin.

Old 04-03-2017 | 12:04 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,158 Likes on 1,445 Posts

I got a cheap tread gauge off Amazon, after I was convinced that my dealer gave me exaggerated treadwear info.

Old 04-03-2017 | 04:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Tread is for handling water and other non-tarmac based things that sit on surfaces. The tread moves the water out of the way so the tire can make contact with the surface. However, in try conditions, the more rubber you have in contact with the surface, the more grip you have which is why race cars use slicks (i.e. tires with no tread).

Old 04-03-2017 | 05:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

IMMD, do you have an awd car? If so, replacing all four at once is best.

Old 04-03-2017 | 05:56 PM
UC3
Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteTardis
...I'm tempted to try the Kumho Ecsta PS91.

I ran the Kumho's on my Corvette Grand Sport and loved them. They are what I ordered to replace the damaged ones on this F-Type.

Old 04-03-2017 | 05:57 PM
Veteran Member

great info from everyone. Appreciate your input. I think based on that head to head comparison article, I'm going to go with the Ecstas. It will be at least half the cost with nearly the same performance. My only reservation is the road noise. That's really the only metric I'm particularly concerned about.
I'm not reading the performance of the Ecstas based on the test results to be near the Michelin or Pirelli. The writeup summary seems positive, but looking at results and listening to most owners here complain about pirellis ( which test very close to MPSS), I can't imagine Ecstas could be that good. They appear to be a distance third at best. Am I missing something here?

Old 04-03-2017 | 08:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 214 Likes on 191 Posts

I had Kumho on a "05 TT V6 as a replacement and liked them but got very hard by 10k. Had Continental DW on'08 TTV6 and really liked them, Only reason not Michelin was price on cars I wasn't going to keep long enough. Jags warranty is up in Sept. If I decide to keep than new Michelins are going on!

Old 04-04-2017 | 01:37 PM
Received 402 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
I'm not reading the performance of the Ecstas based on the test results to be near the Michelin or Pirelli. The writeup summary seems positive, but looking at results and listening to most owners here complain about pirellis ( which test very close to MPSS), I can't imagine Ecstas could be that good. They appear to be a distance third at best. Am I missing something here?
Keep in mind that most drivers will never see the limits that that these tires are designed for. Slalom times, laptimes for the Kumhos are better than the Pirellis. G-Force the Kumho was only .03 behind the Pirellis. Overall I think the Kumho's offer a significant value to performance ratio.

The following users liked this post:
jaguny (04-05-2017)
Old 04-04-2017 | 02:34 PM
|

Originally Posted by jaguny
IMMD, do you have an awd car? If so, replacing all four at once is best.

yes.
And the kumhos are on national back order. They suggested looking at Toyos, anyone know anything about these?

Old 04-05-2017 | 04:17 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bjg625
I had Kumho on a "05 TT V6 as a replacement and liked them but got very hard by 10k. Had Continental DW on'08 TTV6 and really liked them, Only reason not Michelin was price on cars I wasn't going to keep long enough. Jags warranty is up in Sept. If I decide to keep than new Michelins are going on!
Curious as well about longevity and performance over longevity.

Old 04-05-2017 | 01:23 PM
|

Our tire shop recommended the Nitto Motivo tires. Anyone have any thoughts on these?

Old 04-05-2017 | 01:49 PM
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Our tire shop recommended the Nitto Motivo tires. Anyone have any thoughts on these?
I have the Nitto G2, and they feel fine. I have Michelins on my other cars and I don't notice any difference.

Old 04-05-2017 | 01:50 PM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

it's an all season vs a summer tire.

Old 04-05-2017 | 02:02 PM
Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts

tire rack has the kumhos in stock

Old 04-18-2017 | 07:59 PM
|

Replaced the tires with Toyos and they seem to grip well and road noise seems better. I haven't driven it much since they were replaced so I'll report back if I change my opinion. Right now I'm focusing on detailing it more than driving it.