XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

what"s behind glove box

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 07:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what"s behind glove box

I'm redoing my XJ6C dash and I have the dash out and I saw two things behind the dash that I need help with.

First....there is a white plastic counter system attached to the speedometer cable. It's located right behind an inspection panel in the glove box/ Anyone know what it's function is????

Two....there/s a large round white plastic plug located at the right hand end of the dash with about 6 or seven connections on it. Anyone know what its function is????

Thanks for the help:

Old 04-14-2017, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,943 Likes on 7,190 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank Trebel
I'm redoing my XJ6C dash and I have the dash out and I saw two things behind the dash that I need help with.

First....there is a white plastic counter system attached to the speedometer cable. It's located right behind an inspection panel in the glove box/ Anyone know what it's function is????

Sounds like an "Intervalometer". On Series IIIs such a device was used to turn on the "Oxygen Sensor" light every 30k miles. Not sure what the function is on a Series II

Two....there/s a large round white plastic plug located at the right hand end of the dash with about 6 or seven connections on it. Anyone know what its function is????

Thanks for the help:
I'm stumped on that one.

Cheers
DD

Old 04-14-2017, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,384 Likes on 5,442 Posts

Thanks for the help:
Looks like this?

Among other things, this is the Seat Belt Warning component. It may also warn of the key left in the ignition with the door open. There may be other warnings but I've not discovered those yet.
(';')

The following 3 users liked this post by LnrB:
Daf11e (04-15-2017), Doug (04-14-2017), Grant Francis (04-15-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 02:36 PM

Thanks LnrB.....that answers one question but I'm still wondering about the other counter. It's also a white plastic box inline with the speedometer cable and it says on it....Smith Industries, sig 1002/250, % laps used. and in the counter window it is showing the number 359. can anyone explain this counter????

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (04-15-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,384 Likes on 5,442 Posts

You're very welcome. I had to ask what that thing was too.

I don't have any such counter, but I don't have a Jaguar engine in my car either, so I can't help you with that.

Maybe Doug has it right, and it's something to do with the oxygen sensor. I don't have one of those either.
(';')

Old 04-15-2017, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member

FWIW.....

The Series II catalog does show the interval counter for Canada, Japan, and USA cars "with 25,000 mile catalyst only"

Cheers
DD

Old 04-15-2017, 11:00 PM

OK Doug.....but what does this interval counter actually count???

Old 04-16-2017, 01:30 AM
Veteran Member

OK Doug.....but what does this interval counter actually count???

Miles driven.

Do you have an oxygen sensor warning light? If so, the interval counter is what turns it on (apparently every 25k miles)

Cheers
DD

Old 04-16-2017, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Yup, like Elinor, my O2 mnileage counter light in the dash departed. The counter itself remains but unused.

I removed that little lamp and holder from the dash. Fellow lumper made a transparency to insert. It now glows "CHECK ENGINE" on turning the key to start. so far, so good, it goes out shortly. My SMOG referee was impressed.

The Information Center" on my Jeep has a counter for a 3K service interval. It counts back from that number!!!!
Along with a figure of a door ajar, a lamp out or the windshield washer bottle "low"!!!

Carl

Carl

Old 04-18-2017, 10:44 AM

I do have a 'Catalic/EGR" light that is separate from the center strip of lights that are between the Tach and Speedometer. I have never seen it on at all. I'll get a new bulb in it before the new dash goes in.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Frank:

That is the service interval counter light. It should light up after the counter counts of the designated miles. 25?

Do you have an owner's manual? If so, it should describe the function. If not, advise, I'll check mine and quote. Might even be able to scan and attach the page. Not sure there on this machine. it is quirky about attachments.

Should you not have the manual, I recommend you get one. Quite helpful...
David Boger at Everydayxj can probably provide a decent one.

Carl
rl

Old 04-23-2017, 09:23 AM

i have an owners manual and a repair manual and neither mention this counter . They don't even show the EGR/Catalyst light that I have on my dash. Thanks for all the replys and help.