F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What you DON'T LIKE about your F Type

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 02:58 PM
Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

- Stereo was #1. go the fix and now i've moved on. still not what you would expect from the car, but i'm fine with it now
- brake dust. holy cow. i'll have to try different pads (or should have gone ceramic)
- no launch control (i have 2015 R). launching is an art form...
- visibility (love the design, so i guess this goes with the territory)
- center shifter. it's awkward and unnecessary. should just eliminate it (ala ferrari). takes up precious space in the tight cabin.
- no good place to put my phone
- tech/nav system is very so-so

BUT...come on, this is the most fun car I have ever had...by a long shot (and i've had 3 previous porsches)! still puts a huge smile on my face!

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (04-19-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 628 Likes on 529 Posts

Squeaky interior from seat back tight to rear of cabin.

I put my phone in the flip top storage bin in the center console.

AJF (04-20-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by jaguny
Squeaky interior from seat back tight to rear of cabin.
I solved that problem with a onetime application of some cheap Armorall over a year and a half ago.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:10 AM
Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Lowering the suspension resolves that problem on this car (higher/progressive spring rates).
I am installing the VAP lowering springs tomorrow. Has anyone tested them on the track, mountain passes? Do they help improve the traction? I was going to go with HKS but i was scared SF roads would leave my car in a seesaw state.

Old 04-18-2017, 03:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
I solved that problem with a onetime application of some cheap Armorall over a year and a half ago.
Please explain how this magic works. Did you apply to the plastic pieces above the console? On the edges?

You put the armor all on the leather seat back?

Last edited by jaguny; 04-18-2017 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Please explain how this magic works. Did you apply to the plastic pieces above the console? On the edges?
A applied it to wherever the seatback comes close to any other plastic parts. Leaves an oily residue that you can't see when the seat is in place. Generally not a good product when exposed to the elements, but does well enough on the interior.

jaguny (04-19-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 10:25 AM
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Lacking the gift of above average height, I have not experienced the squeak from putting the seat back all the way. Thus as a material implication, the shoulder belt sits a bit high. It’s more an issue for my condensed wife.

However, like most, I find the nav/sat system awkwardly lethargic, which I overcome by either avoiding destinations I don’t know how to get to, or taking random turns down country roads until I find it.

I don’t find issue with the Meridian system as it allows me to play 70/80s music from my Walkman; and well you don’t need lofty expectations for that.

I will jump on the brake dust train. That is my biggest complaint. It is excessive. I will be looking solve that in the future.

The p-zeros, and not great, but I am nearly done with them, so 4S will be up soon.

ECO mode was annoying. As someone said, the pre-flight included turning that off. But the VAP tune+pulley took care of that along with other benefits. So off my list now.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

.....Hmmm; I love my car.....but like anything, it isn't perfect. Things I don't like;

- I get a squeak when my exhaust valves open or close.......doesn't bother me enough to complain.

- my clothes hanger on bulkhead behind the seat got damaged from moving the seat too far back.

- the horn is an embarrassment

- don't like the grill bar but have a P7 grill to install.....just haven't had the time

- with all the "S's" and "R's" being used on every F type from the new 4 cyl to the V8, the naming conventions have been so muddled and watered down as to mean nothing useful. .....not really a issue with the car so-much as JLR marketing.

AJF (04-20-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 10:39 AM
Received 402 Likes on 212 Posts

For all you guys complaining about the brake dust..the OEM pads are "organic" hence the dust. I've since switched to semi-metallic and have seen a dramatic decrease in dust. Ceramic pads in general aren't performance friendly. They generally have lower thermal capacity and need to warm up.

Last edited by WhiteTardis; 04-18-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,235 Likes on 2,386 Posts

Originally Posted by NigelW
Lacking the gift of above average height, I have not experienced the squeak from putting the seat back all the way. Thus as a material implication, the shoulder belt sits a bit high. It’s more an issue for my condensed wife.

However, like most, I find the nav/sat system awkwardly lethargic, which I overcome by either avoiding destinations I don’t know how to get to, or taking random turns down country roads until I find it.

I don’t find issue with the Meridian system as it allows me to play 70/80s music from my Walkman; and well you don’t need lofty expectations for that.

I will jump on the brake dust train. That is my biggest complaint. It is excessive. I will be looking solve that in the future.

The p-zeros, and not great, but I am nearly done with them, so 4S will be up soon.

ECO mode was annoying. As someone said, the pre-flight included turning that off. But the VAP tune+pulley took care of that along with other benefits. So off my list now.

Ditto all of the above, except I rarely use the SatNav so it doesn't bother me.
Brake dust much reduced by fitting semi-metallic pads, stop/start permanently disabled, 4S going on when the P-Zeros are toast.
Not a fan of the spoiler so now permanently disabled.
Probably my biggest dislike was the way the seatbelt always rode up too high and rubbed my neck, and I'm not a shortarse. It drove me mad until I found a permanent solution - a large zip tie tied tight halfway up the "strap". The seatbelt doesn't budge a mm now, no more rubbing, here's a pic:

NigelW (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 07:08 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The main complaint I have is the infotainment. I really just don't understand why this is so hard for manufacturers to do, let alone high end manufacturers. How is it possible that I can buy a better tablet for $50 on Amazon than a Jaguar has in the center column?

Old 04-18-2017, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by FullChat
No rear grip.

I don't know how you guys with real horsepower manage it! My driving style is "fast out" so I like to use a lot of throttle from the apex out, and that sets off the nannies! Boo!

It came with Conti tires, and I hope that's the main problem.
It is. Spend money on MPSS and it will be a lot more manageable.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:33 PM
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by OzXFR
Probably my biggest dislike was the way the seatbelt always rode up too high and rubbed my neck, and I'm not a shortarse. It drove me mad until I found a permanent solution - a large zip tie tied tight halfway up the "strap". The seatbelt doesn't budge a mm now, no more rubbing, here's a pic:

Thanks, nice simple solution. I am going give that a try.

Last edited by NigelW; 04-18-2017 at 10:16 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 427 Likes on 307 Posts

Brake dust much reduced by fitting semi-metallic pads, stop/start permanently disabled, 4S going on when the P-Zeros are toast.

Amazing what can be done with zip ties and duct tape!

Old 04-18-2017, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 2010 Kyanite XFR
Amazing what can be done with zip ties and duct tape!
Reminds me of this flowchart:

The following 2 users liked this post by OzXFR:
BruceTheQuail (04-18-2017), DJS (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 02:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 861 Posts

Glad you found a solution to your problem but from an esthetic point of view that black zip tie - against the red seat - would drive me mad. Wouldn't a red tie (assuming of course the shade of red is similar to the seat...likely no small feat) be much much better? The thought of a zip tie being displayed so prominently in a vehicle of this quality just leaves me a little cold. (Of course, maybe I'm also making too much of it...and it doesn't bother you at all?).

Old 04-19-2017, 02:28 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
Glad you found a solution to your problem but from an esthetic point of view that black zip tie - against the red seat - would drive me mad. Wouldn't a red tie (assuming of course the shade of red is similar to the seat...likely no small feat) be much much better? The thought of a zip tie being displayed so prominently in a vehicle of this quality just leaves me a little cold. (Of course, maybe I'm also making too much of it...and it doesn't bother you at all?).
I'm so used to it I don't notice it any more. Agreed, it's a bit ghetto, but no-one has ever commented to me about it, and it's still waaaay better than the constant rubbing against the neck. But I'll check into possible red versions and see what I can find.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:55 AM
Veteran Member

What might work instead of the zip tie is two sticky back Velcro pieces cut just a bit thinner than the width of the leather retaining strap (maybe the width of the stitched portion of strap) and length from the upper buckle to where your twist tie is placed. One piece on the seat, one piece on the underside of the strap, aligned so the Velcro faces stick together. Would need to test to see if the thickness is visible. Would test on a piece of leather to make sure the sticky stuff doesn't ruin your finish. You can get the Velcro in a red color in case edges are visible. Just a thought.

Last edited by jaguny; 04-19-2017 at 02:57 AM.
Burt Gummer (04-19-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 03:12 AM
Veteran Member

What might work instead of the zip tie is two sticky back Velcro pieces cut just a bit thinner than the width of the leather retaining strap (maybe the width of the stitched portion of strap) and length from the upper buckle to where your twist tie is placed. One piece on the seat, one piece on the underside of the strap, aligned so the Velcro faces stick together. Would need to test to see if the thickness is visible. Would test on a piece of leather to make sure the sticky stuff doesn't ruin your finish. You can get the Velcro in a red color in case edges are visible. Just a thought.
Tried that first, but no go, the Velcro adhesion wasn't strong enough to stop the seatbelt from sliding up, it effectively "cut through" the Velcro join. My next bright idea was to try several layers of Velcro on the seat under the strap, to "block" the seatbelt, but that didn't last either. It worked OK for a week or so, but then the bits of Velcro started to loosen and move and allow the seatbelt to slip past them, and they made a bit a of a gluey mess, easy enough to clean up though. That damn seatbelt is a tough ****, it really really wants to ride up to the top, and it takes something pretty damn serious to stop it!

Old 04-19-2017, 03:27 AM
Veteran Member

Oz, you're way ahead, as usual. Will have to think on it some more. Was thinking to glue on two piece snap button to underside of strap and seat, but glueing to leather not likely good idea.

Last edited by jaguny; 04-19-2017 at 03:31 AM.

Quick Reply: What you DON'T LIKE about your F Type