XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Vibration between 50 and 70 mph

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 775 Likes on 466 Posts
Default Vibration between 50 and 70 mph

Got to take a look at my 98XJ8 today. Been having a vibration on the freeway between 50 and 70 mph. Put the car on the lift and notice the left rear with a wobble. Stopped the wheel and checked it like you would a front wheel bearing. I get movement up and down but not noticeable from side to side. The movement seams to be in the hub. I have vety little knoweledge on the suspension of the cars. I'm an old fart that only knows rear end with axles.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,063 Likes on 819 Posts

The rear wheels are supposed to have play from 12 o'clock to 6 o'clock. Compare it with the right rear wheel.

The following users liked this post:
BobRoy (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member

Yes the right rear also had up and down play. So if tjat is normal I will look for the vibration elsewhere.

Old 04-25-2017, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts

If it's not in the hub itself, I'd check the U-joints and diff output shaft for movement/play. Have someone move the wheel and see if the play translates to the halfshafts. Other possible sources could maybe be the pivot bearings at the bottom of the hub carrier or possibly bushings in the other pivot side of the lower arms?

There's a few threads that have diagrams of the sf bushing spots, here's one I found that just shows the overview:
blue arrow is those hub carrier pivot bearings

One more thing I've found is comparing the play against whether the parking brake is on or off. Mine don't have play when the parking brake is on (after doing diff output bearings) but if the parking brake is off the LR has some top/bottom play, so I'm suspecting a hub bearing there.

And the thread I grabbed that from describes similar issues, it's an x300 but the rear end is almost the same. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-shimmy-84839/

The following users liked this post:
BobRoy (04-25-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 10:02 PM
Received 176 Likes on 122 Posts

You could have a tread separation in one of your tires. That can cause vibration at certain speeds.

Old 04-27-2017, 04:16 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Have you consider the rubber disk that sits at the rear end of the driveshaft?

My 1998 Daimler has done aprox 175000miles and has developed an viration that comes at around 50mph and fade away at around 60mph.

Anyone reading this that has come to the same conclusion and have experience from replacing it?

/ E

Old 04-27-2017, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the responses. I just took the car for a half hour drive to get a good feel of the car without any distractions, my wife in the car. These ideas are my opinions as I'm not an expert on these cars.

Jumped onto freeway and quickly brought the car to 70mph. Thr vibration was minimal. I slowly decelerate the car. At about 60 the vibration starts. I found the vibration to be most prominent at this speed. Cruised at the speed and vibration persists. I thought originally that the vibration was from the torque converter lockup. So I move the J gate between 4th and drive which changed the rpms by about 500. It had mo effect on the vibration. My thought is the rpm change would change the vibration if it was the torque converter because it would be turning at a different speed.

I feel the vibration mostly on the accelerator pedal and the floor at my feet. I get very little feeling on the steering wheel or my butt in the seat.

I don't completely rule out the tires or suspension, but the way it feels it has me thinking driveline or transmission mount. When I had it on the lift and had it in gear with the driveline spinning I didn't see any vibration in the driveline. I didn't check the transmission mount or thoroughly check the front end as I was running out of time that day after just finishing with the secondary tennsioners.

I won't be able to get the car back on the lift for a couple of days, my wife needs to use it.

Thanks, Bob

Last edited by BobRoy; 04-27-2017 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-27-2017, 03:26 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There are several threads concerning a vibration between 50 and 60 mph on the X308's. Several owners reported that the vibration was eliminated or greatly reduced by balancing the tires on a Hunter Road Force balancer. My vibration was greatly reduced after having the Road Force balancing done. It cost a little more than a regular balance. The Road Force balancers are not used in very many shops.