XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

Hang of the Gib

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 11:27 PM
Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Limp hinge side exhibits rust, cracking which might explain the hanging uneven issue. Altho hinge on this side is also not sitting tight.

Old 05-07-2017, 12:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,098 Likes on 1,264 Posts

Originally Posted by adenshillito
In NZ our ribbons are all black tho, anjum
They pin them on British and Australian rugby players, after they hand them their *****

The following users liked this post:
adenshillito (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 06:14 AM

Hinges themselves visually fine, but then noticed the offending left side hinge hung loose and when pressed was very loose or wobbly. will remove both and investigate.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

That first picture told the tale clearly. "the chassis side of the bonnet hinge is "clamped to pretty much nothing". Fix? Cut out a fresh metal patch to fit in that channel. Drill noes to match the existing. Weld it in place as a 'sister" over the failing one. "sister" is a carpenter's term for bracing failing timbers.

Or more risky and daring. Cut out the bad metal, weld in fresh metal, cut and drilled to the same size an location. Size and location being the operative words.

Carl

Old 05-20-2017, 10:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 281 Posts

I've been having this problem on my XJC whereby the passenger side of the hood releases whenever it feels like it. Any ideas?

Old 05-20-2017, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member

Mine as well !!! I think it is a just a Jaguar thing. Latest event, not unusual. I went to the 'drug store" for all kinds of stuff, no drugs!!

A very nice red Kia was alongside my Jaguar. I complimented the guy at the driver side. He was awaiting his mate. He advised my "hood" was open. Indeed, both latches had released. We chatted. He told me the red Kia was his wife's car at her insistence. Small is good. He just past 90. Me, 87. Kindred spirits, I suppose.

I released the latch and fully opened the "bonnett'. In proper Jaguar fashion, stepped in front and pushed it down to close with a satisfying "clunk".

Mine is just a tad off in alignment. One of these days, I'll do the exercise. Pin alignment and spring pressure is critical. Along with alignment. Oh, and a dab of grease on the latch pins.

Carl.

Old 05-20-2017, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,218 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Originally Posted by JagCad
...I released the latch and fully opened the "bonnett'. In proper Jaguar fashion, stepped in front and pushed it down to close with a satisfying "clunk"....
Carl.
Carl, the person from whom we bought Nix demonstrated the Proper way to close the hood/bonnet without ever touching the paint (next time I take her for smog check I must educate the tech to this procedure).

Rather than push the center of the hood down, lift the top edge of the chrome grill until the hood is over-center. Then another encouraging lift and it closes Perfectly. Less chance it coming down off center that way, AND no Ugly hand prints up in the center of the hood (Nix is very sensitive about men's hand-prints on her finish).
(';')

Last edited by LnrB; 05-20-2017 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by yachtmanbuttson
I've been having this problem on my XJC whereby the passenger side of the hood releases whenever it feels like it. Any ideas?
Mine did that on the passenger side (in my case the left side, being RHD). Any micro twist in the chassis, usually when cornering, was enough to release it. Started driving me nuts!

It can be due to the catch release cable not fully returning to the lock position and therefore failing to hold the pin securely. However, over time the knob on the end of the pin wears enough to pop from the catch when under pressure, and the catch blade itself also wears. Having eliminated the cable return issue it seemed the culprit was catch wear, I discovered that slightly over-size pins are available and my local Jag mechanic sourced one for me. Job done, happy days!

Last edited by jagent; 05-20-2017 at 05:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LnrB (05-20-2017)
Old 05-20-2017, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,218 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Originally Posted by jagent
...However, over time the knob on the end of the pin wears enough to pop from the catch when under pressure, and the catch blade itself also wears....
Thank you, Tony,
I'll add lubing the hood/bonnet latches to my regular maintenance routine.
(';')

Old 05-21-2017, 08:47 AM
Veteran Member

Tony:

Thanks. I have the same issue. I've suspected wear at the latch. Did not know of O'size pins. I'll have a good look.

I've also considered spring pressure. Mine might be too "tight" and as such release with vigor, too much so, as the vigor might be counter productive on keeping the latch engaged in the pin slot.

Other cars do not seem to suffer that malady. I attribute that to the far more hefty than most bonnet on our cars.... Sheer weight and the leverage thing. Tis a long way from hinge to latch.

Carl

Old 05-21-2017, 10:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 281 Posts

Tony - Can you give us a lead on these oversized pins? Sounds like it's in the DNA of the beast.

Thanks, Bill

Old 05-21-2017, 06:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by yachtmanbuttson
Tony - Can you give us a lead on these oversized pins? Sounds like it's in the DNA of the beast.

Thanks, Bill
Hi Bill, mine came from Jag Prestige Spares here in Melbourne. These guys do ship worldwide if you're unable to find one in the U.S. If you want to make direct contact with them, deal with Phil if you can. They're a good outfit, I've used them a lot.

http://www.prestige-spares.com.au/

Old 05-22-2017, 05:02 AM

removed bumper and this left hinge is wobbly. it's a rivety thing, can I fix it or tighten it or do I need magic powers.?