XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

Play in SC shaft - 2013 XF 3.0 Supercharged

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 03:31 PM
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Play in SC shaft - 2013 XF 3.0 Supercharged

Hi

Took the SC drive belt off of my wife's 2013 XF 3.0 and found there to be 1/2 inch free motion in the SC drive shaft. Meaning it turns freely 1/2 inch before I can feel the impellers move. Is this an excessive movement or normal for this supercharger?

I read somewhere that there was a repair order for knocking in the engine bay that was caused by something similar to this condition but it was only performed if the customer complained, and I'm not sure if it applied to her engine.

There are a lot of noises coming from the engine compartment on this car including a knock when the engine is turned off (plus other miscellaneous buzzes and the like).

thanks

Old 05-16-2017, 08:16 PM
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The knock is coming from the supercharger isolator (crappy spring design) GM switched to a solid one on 2014+ cars and issued a recall, but Jaguar as of 2017 is still using the spring design.

Thats the knock you hear during shutdown, if you look on youtube you will see CTS-V's making the same knocking sound during engine shutdown.

As far as the play, it could also be the isolator, it winds up when its under load.

The TSB applied to both 3.0 and 5.0 SC engines, I just took my car to the dealer for that knocking noise and they replaced the entire supercharger snout (front half of the supercharger). You likely will also hear a rattle at idle, also the isolator.

The following users liked this post:
raschwar (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 01:02 AM

Yep, that's what it is according to the dealer. I'll get it back today. While they were in there they also found a leaky water pump which will be fixed. Meanwhile I've been loaned a Discovery.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:18 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...rattle-176345/

If this is anything like what you're hearing. My dealer initially was stubborn that it was just the isolator, but ended up being the entire supercharger needing to be replaced.

I have also attached the bulletin that Jaguar uses for the '13 3.0 SC XFs

Hope this helps

Old 05-23-2017, 09:04 AM
Default Case closed

Thanks for the help all. Jasin, I'm sorry to hear the troubles you've had trying to get them resolved. I got lucky in that the mechanic assigned is a veteran there and a good one. After test driving the car he asked me to indicate the noise as the clattering had stopped. But the clunk was still there on shutdown.

However the the ticket was written that the problem occurred under acceleration so shutdown was noted. Fortunately, the tech knew to speak to the customer for verification. When he heard the clunk he knew it was the spring.

It took a day to get approval for the repair from Jag. While replacing the S/C nose they also replaced a leaky water pump I was not aware of. The car is much quieter now but the tech told me that the "clunk" will not be completely gone. I don't know all of the people at the dealership but of those I do, I trust him, the parts guy and the receptionist.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:38 PM
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Yea clunk is still there, its just quieter.