XJ XJ6 / XJ8 / XJR ( X350 & X358 ) 2003 - 2009

Catalytic Converters.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 09:39 AM
Received 217 Likes on 113 Posts

R1doode, using the spacers, as I did, meant when you were gunning it you would see excessive black smoke coming out of the exhaust - overfuelling. This was confirmed on the rolling road where the fuel air ratio was measured (as well as seeing the full extent of emmited gasses at wide open throttle!). In terms of fuel consumption it did get worse but it was worth it for the extra shove ( and sound).

BlackXJRcat - it did trigger the light on my car when I returned the sensors into the gas flow and cambos tune was able to remove the mil light (as well as making noticeably more power ��). Mine passed the UK emisions test with 200 cell cats fitted, not sure of the requirements where you are though.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:12 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the reply Caldoofy.I will keep a close eye on it and see what is happening.I take it Cambos retune is a remap?

Thanks Steve.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts
Default I am thinking of trying a few things.

I was reading a article in Jaguarworld about x350 XJR's.
it said stock it should run 0 - 60 in 5.3 secounds. I have not timed mine, but doubt it is that quick. Slow off the line, torque curve feels more like a turbo than a blower.
At 107,000 I plan on finally changing all plugs to see what they look like. Thinking all four O2 sensors. Maybe replace CAT's with the 153.00 ones at Rock Auto.
Have not checked compression, but no smoke, CEL's, or oil usage. Think engine is tight.
My wife has a 2007 335i. It is a low 5 second 0 - 60 vehicle. It is much quicker than my Cat. It has small turbos. Feels like a supercharged engine with a flat torque curve.
Will Cambo's tune put the pep back?

Old 05-19-2017, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,548 Likes on 3,957 Posts

Don't plan to put a tune in instead of getting the car working as designed. Part of that may be getting data to see whether anything is not right or is sub-optimal.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:30 PM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Panelhead
I was reading a article in Jaguarworld about x350 XJR's.
it said stock it should run 0 - 60 in 5.3 secounds. I have not timed mine, but doubt it is that quick. Slow off the line, torque curve feels more like a turbo than a blower.
At 107,000 I plan on finally changing all plugs to see what they look like. Thinking all four O2 sensors. Maybe replace CAT's with the 153.00 ones at Rock Auto.
Have not checked compression, but no smoke, CEL's, or oil usage. Think engine is tight.
My wife has a 2007 335i. It is a low 5 second 0 - 60 vehicle. It is much quicker than my Cat. It has small turbos. Feels like a supercharged engine with a flat torque curve.
Will Cambo's tune put the pep back?
My XJR does high 5s all day long with lots of wheel spin. No way this car feels sluggish. This thing launches with fury. Just wheel spin and traction control until it grabs. Pretty annoying. I'm sure if I practice launching the car I would get close to 5.0 or maybe just below. With an LSD for sure. I just don't know if I want to spend more money on the XJR since you can get a Maserati Gran Turismo for less than $40K. I'm am so tempted.

Last edited by BlacXJRcat; 05-19-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:27 AM
Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts

[QUOTE=caldoofy;1686725In terms of fuel consumption it did get worse but it was worth it for the extra shove ( and sound).[/QUOTE]

Caldoofy, did you ever dyno your car after installing the cats, headers and tune? I remember you made 460bhp before with just intake and exhaust. I'd imagine your near 500hp now with the other mods and tune on the x358 as you have the later ecu/vvt? I recall a sv8 xf made 398rwhp with the same mods, minus the headers.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:40 AM

That 460 was with the sport cats fitted (with the sensors in the wrong place).

I am currently on doing the valley hose at the moment as well as tracking down an air leak, I intend to add the 6% pulley during the rebuild, do a dyno in that state of tune then put the headers on and go back for another dyno session so I should have a complete set of results to go off. Cambos map has definitely given the car more urgency so will be interesting to see what that translates to in terms of numbers. Over 500 would be good with the addition of the headers!

Last edited by caldoofy; 05-20-2017 at 08:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Datsports (05-20-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 06:31 AM

Seems like we've got exactly the same problems. I've got a small air leak somewhere too and yesterday coolant starting leaking down from the back of the engine after a few WOTs which I suspect is a burst valley hose. I'd forgotten these Eatons run a lot hotter than the TS and not let it cool down adequately. Might be worth adding a extra IC tank and higher flowing pump now.

If you make 35rwhp more from the tune and pulley you'll make 502hp. I imagine you'll be near stock 5.0 SC power levels once you're all done

Old 05-21-2017, 09:51 AM
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I am still confused about sport cats. I don't want to trick the ECU with a tune or anything similar.

What would be the proper way to install the cats to prevent any check engine light and pass emissions as well as no over fueling conditions? Is this even possible?

Old 05-21-2017, 05:07 PM
Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Had a play with the Super V8, trying 0-60 runs.
Bogs down horribly with traction control on, 5.8 sec.
Traction off, 4.7sec, easy on the launches, it is so easy to burn the tyres as I found out...

Old 05-21-2017, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 203 Posts
Default Is that stock?

Originally Posted by alecescolme
Had a play with the Super V8, trying 0-60 runs.
Bogs down horribly with traction control on, 5.8 sec.
Traction off, 4.7sec, easy on the launches, it is so easy to burn the tyres as I found out...
If yours can turn 4.7 it is quicker than mine. I am thinking plugs and maybe O2 sensors first. Previous owner never changed the plugs. At over 100,000 miles it has to help.
I never to
play with the traction control. A LSD should have been standard equipment.

Old 05-21-2017, 05:36 PM
Received 4,461 Likes on 2,427 Posts

Originally Posted by BlacXJRcat
I am still confused about sport cats. I don't want to trick the ECU with a tune or anything similar.

What would be the proper way to install the cats to prevent any check engine light and pass emissions as well as no over fueling conditions? Is this even possible?
You cannot have it both ways.

The downstream O2 sensors serve two functions, they check the efficiency of the catalyst, AND they are used for fuel managment ("used in conjunction with the ECM and the HO2 sensor 1, the HO2 sensor 2 aids closed loop fuelling control")

If you fit "sport" cats, they do not clean the exhaust gas as efficiently as the stock cats, so you will get a CEL and P0420/P0430 codes.

If you try to "fool" the downstream sensors with an extension or minicat, you stop the CEL and P0420/P0430, but you screw up the fuelling. Same goes for relocating the O2 sensors or any other deviations from the factory arrangement of the downstream O2 sensors.

There are some explanations in this thread https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-remap-140980/ where we removed the mincats from the downstream sensors, and changed the tune in the car so that the catalyst efficiency monitoring is disabled.

So the downstream O2 sensors are working correctly (physically in the exhaust gas stream, getting accurate measurements) but there are no P0420/P0430 codes being set, because they are effectively disabled.

This is the "right" way to do it.

Old 05-21-2017, 05:37 PM

Alec's isn't standard! He's running sport cats, full 2.5 inch exhaust system, a pulley upgrade ( not sure which one), one of my intake tubes and 285 rubber on the rear ;-)

Got the supercharger off today ready to change the hoses and gaskets noticed one of the vac hoses passes through the drivers side inner wing and the joint was severely perished, maybe my air leak ( fingers crossed).

The valley!

This thin vac hose disappears into the wing don't know what it does but the joint was no good.

Panthro (06-01-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 06:06 PM
Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Yes, Caldoofy is correct. Running with the 10% pulley, but knowing what we know now, would have the 6%. Would love to see what she would get with a LSD, XKR diff and Cambo's tune 😎. Still, not bad for a car with picnic trays and rear electric seats!

Another interesting statistic, is 50-70mph acceleration, mine is 2.2 seconds. That is on par with a E55 AMG S/C.

Caldoofy, still interested in the manifolds, do you think she will be ready for Jim's meet? I presume you are doing the valley pipe yourself.

Last edited by alecescolme; 05-21-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Datsports (05-23-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 01:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 597 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by caldoofy
Alec's isn't standard! He's running sport cats, full 2.5 inch exhaust system, a pulley upgrade ( not sure which one), one of my intake tubes and 285 rubber on the rear ;-)

Got the supercharger off today ready to change the hoses and gaskets noticed one of the vac hoses passes through the drivers side inner wing and the joint was severely perished, maybe my air leak ( fingers crossed).

The valley!

This thin vac hose disappears into the wing don't know what it does but the joint was no good.
are you sure that pipe is factory , it looks untidy for jaguars standards .
where did it connect to in the engine ?

anyway , don't stop there get those charge coolers off wiles you can easily .
and de gunge the insides , they are visually thermally insulated with carbon . mine were terrible as well .
its got to help things .
after a few hours soaking and shaking and rinsing the coolers with degreaser first , then petrol . then alkaline . then mag wheel cleaning acid mine came um like new.
and now stay like new with the PCV catch can and the EGR bypassed .

The following 2 users liked this post by Datsports:
JagSTR2004 (05-22-2017), Panthro (06-01-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 02:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by JagSTR2004
Seems like we've got exactly the same problems. I've got a small air leak somewhere too and yesterday coolant starting leaking down from the back of the engine after a few WOTs which I suspect is a burst valley hose. I'd forgotten these Eatons run a lot hotter than the TS and not let it cool down adequately. Might be worth adding a extra IC tank and higher flowing pump now.

If you make 35rwhp more from the tune and pulley you'll make 502hp. I imagine you'll be near stock 5.0 SC power levels once you're all done
its not the only coolant pipe back there the valley pipe takes coolant to the EGR .then there is a loop pipe that takes coolant from the EGR to the TB , then there is another pipe that returns the coolant back to the thermostat manifold from the TB . so fingers crossed there is a bad connection at at one of the rear joints .
knowing your blower has just been off very recently , theres a strong possibility something got messed with . or over looked maybe.
you can reach all these connections from behind the right hand side head .
so start there .also i have had to riggle the brake booster pipe at the famous o-ring joint under the TB before for it to seal , even with a new o-ring . so check that too .

JagSTR2004 (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 03:55 AM

are you sure that pipe is factory , it looks untidy for jaguars standards .
where did it connect to in the engine ?

Yes factory fit it went into the elbow along with the bypass actuator pipe in a two to one. I'll have to ask Jag when I go to order all the bits.

I will be taking the coolers off to replace the gaskets, I'll clean them out as a matter of course but to be fair they are quite clean inside!

My egr is getting removed as it's mapped out so that will simplify the process of reassembly, thinking of getting it all ceramic coated too but looking into the cost.

Datsports (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by alecescolme
Yes, Caldoofy is correct. Running with the 10% pulley, but knowing what we know now, would have the 6%. Would love to see what she would get with a LSD, XKR diff and Cambo's tune 😎. Still, not bad for a car with picnic trays and rear electric seats!

Another interesting statistic, is 50-70mph acceleration, mine is 2.2 seconds. That is on par with a E55 AMG S/C.

Caldoofy, still interested in the manifolds, do you think she will be ready for Jim's meet? I presume you are doing the valley pipe yourself.
Alec,

Not going to be ready for the meet, too much to send off plus I want to take my time and do it properly.

You are correct doing the work myself :-) once I figured out how to access the supercharger bolt it was plain sailing although thinner hands would have been a bonus!

Old 05-22-2017, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Datsports
its not the only coolant pipe back there the valley pipe takes coolant to the EGR .then there is a loop pipe that takes coolant from the EGR to the TB , then there is another pipe that returns the coolant back to the thermostat manifold from the TB . so fingers crossed there is a bad connection at at one of the rear joints .
knowing your blower has just been off very recently , theres a strong possibility something got messed with . or over looked maybe.
you can reach all these connections from behind the right hand side head .
so start there .also i have had to riggle the brake booster pipe at the famous o-ring joint under the TB before for it to seal , even with a new o-ring . so check that too .
Cheers for the pointers mate, we will have a look. Booked in for Wednesday so I'm hoping the charger doesn't need to come off again so soon, but it may be necessary to track down this small vacuum leak I have somewhere anyway. Hope yours is running sweet, I think this may be a good time to put that tank in if you still have it!

Datsports (05-22-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member

yes its still here . ill send you a pm . best of luck on wednesday.