XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Yellow Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 07:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yellow Light

Hi all,
I've lately been trying to sort my XJS V12 Convertible 1989. When I start the car I get 3 lights. 1. Is the battery light which goes out, I'm told that's normal. 2) Park Brake light and since the park brake needs adjusting I'm betting that's why it comes on, it will be adjusted this week. 3) is an amber light that I have no idea what it's trying to alert me to. I've read there are rudimentary codes on the box near the radio but I'm not seeing anything. Date, time etc. How do I go about finding the cause of the yellow light? All gauges read in spec oil, temp voltage. Got to admit I'm lost when it comes to this, any help is appreciated!!

Thankx
David

Old 06-04-2017, 07:58 AM
Received 353 Likes on 228 Posts

The longer yellow and red lights are attention getters, which are supposed to then direct your attention to the smaller lights. Once you have the smaller lights underlying problem resolved, the larger lights will go out on their own. Basically, fix the handbrake and you're all set.

The following users liked this post:
David Stevens (06-04-2017)
Old 06-04-2017, 08:01 AM

I appreciate your input I'm doing brakes this week. If it doesn't go away I'll post again. Again I appreciate you

David

Old 06-05-2017, 05:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,712 Posts

There is also a yellow ABS warning light, does your car have ABS.

Old 06-05-2017, 05:38 AM

Yes it has abs is this a separate light I think it came on one time it was red and had abs label in it. Could this be causing the yellow?

Thanks

Old 06-05-2017, 06:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,866 Likes on 2,671 Posts

Hi David

When you turn on the ignition and Start the Car.

Dashboard Lights will come on.

(1) The Battery Alternator Light will come on and then go out the moment it starts to charge,

(2) The Red Light that looks like it has Brake Shoes on either Side will go out as soon as the Brake Pump Pressurizes.

If that Red light doesn't go out, then you've got a problem with the Brakes, so Don't drive the Car!

The Hand Brake light with 'P' for Park on it, will come on when you put the Hand Brake ON and go OFF when you take the Handbrake OFF.

The Yellow Light is for the ABS and if that Yellow Light Stays on, then you've got a Problem with the ABS which won't be working.

This could be something Simple like a blown or dirty ABS Fuse.

Or it could be something Major like a Valve Block Problem.

So if that Yellow Light Stays on then Check and Clean or Replace the Fuse.

The ABS Fuse is under a Small drop down Panel under the Passenger Knee Pad.

There are TWO Fuses (in amongst the others) that are very Clearly Marked.

One is for the Brake Pump and the other one is for the ABS.

DON'T PULL OUT the Brake Pump Fuse or you won't have ANY BRAKES!

So Do NOT get that wrong, if you are inexperienced as you say.

The ABS and Brake Pump Fuses are under this Flat

One of those Two Fuses are for the ABS and the other one is for the Brake Pump.
DON'T Pull out the Wrong one!

David Stevens (06-05-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 07:42 PM

My battery alternator light comes on then goes out so that's ok.
My brake light comes on then goes off
My park brake stays on the handle feels as though it's not connected will try to adjust when I do the brakes
The yellow light comes on immedwhen key is switched and stays on. I will check as you have suggested.
Occasionally I will get an ABS light for a brief second, I don't think I've had that one since this year. I just wanted to fix whatever was activating the yellow light. Also when I step on the brake I get a yellow light that appears to be a bulb. I assumed I had a brake light out but yet to find it, so far it's just been me and it's thought to depress the pedal and look at the lights. I know I have at least one bulb on each side burning I can see a brake light on my garage door on each side. I will inves7farther and get bake with my findings. I appreciate all the screen shots. Good show!

Old 06-06-2017, 01:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,866 Likes on 2,671 Posts

Hi David

If the Yellow ABS Light comes on and stays on.

You may still have Brakes but they won't be ABS Brakes.

And while you may not notice much difference during normal driving/braking, if you had an accident your Insurance Company, may look upon this

as a way of throwing out a Claim.

So keep that in mind.

The Chances are that the ABS Fuse, is either dirty or Blown and may need replacing.

But in the event that it is not that, then it could be a Wheel Speed Sensor that's causing the problem or the Valve Block on the Master Cylinder Actuator.

Both of which can be 'Megabuck Fixes' unless you are up for doing the work yourself.

If not then it is probably best to take your Car into a Shop, so that they can diagnose the problem, after which report back on here and tell us what they said.

The Handbrake Light works on a micro switch, so as you pull the hand brake up this will engage and the Handbrake light will come on.

After which its quite normal for the Handbrake Lever to 'Flop up and down' and feel like it isn't connected to anything.

In order to take the Handbrake OFF, you have to pull the Handbrake Lever up a little bit higher with the button depressed and then sort of let it drop down.

Like the 'fly off hand brakes' that they used to have on early 'Minis' so you 'Should' be able to get the Handbrake Light to go off, whether the

Brakes need any adjustment or not.

With the possible exception of them being really slack or even the Micro Switch broken.

'Greg' is the 'Hand Brake Expert' so doubtless he will jump in and explain what to do much better than I can.

Last edited by orangeblossom; 06-06-2017 at 01:27 AM.
David Stevens (06-06-2017)