XF and XFR ( X250 ) 2007 - 2015

oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 03:48 PM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by panels
MOBIL 1 5W-20 | Mobil

Meets or exceeds: API SN, SN RESOURCE CONSERVING, SM, SM Energy Conserving, SL, SJ; ILSAC GF-4, GF-5; ACEA A1/B1; Ford WSS-M2C925-A, FORD WSS-M2C945-A, WSS-M2C930-A; Chrysler MS-6395.
That's great, now I only need to find some Brazilian Mobil 1. Any suggestions where I start looking (besides Brazil)?

Old 06-12-2017, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,213 Likes on 2,368 Posts

See this post from seven months ago on the XJ sub-forum: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...6/#post1513827
Maybe Walmart still stock it.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:05 PM
Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

Same link to the Brazilian (or maybe South American) version of Mobil 1. A few people (including myself) have contacted the manufacturer and been told that the 5W-20 Mobil 1 sold in the US does not meet the 925 spec. Maybe other versions of Mobil 1 sold in other parts of the world meet this spec but not the stuff available in the US. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is the only one I have been able to confirm as meeting the required spec besides the Castrol OE stuff.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:31 PM
Veteran Member

I have used Penrite and Nulon 5W-20 here in Oz that both meet the 925* spec, but both are Oz brands and probably not available in the US.
*In fact both bottles say they meet both 925 and 945 spec, as well as several others.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by TXFireblade
Same link to the Brazilian (or maybe South American) version of Mobil 1. A few people (including myself) have contacted the manufacturer and been told that the 5W-20 Mobil 1 sold in the US does not meet the 925 spec. Maybe other versions of Mobil 1 sold in other parts of the world meet this spec but not the stuff available in the US. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is the only one I have been able to confirm as meeting the required spec besides the Castrol OE stuff.
This is where it gets interesting again.
When I search Walmart for Mobil 1 5W-20 there are plenty of hits, and when I bring up and enlarge the pic of the back of the bottle it says "meets 945-A", but there is no mention of 925. So is this oil OK to use? Some say it's much the same as 925-A and just a later version, some say it's not the same and therefore incorrect/risky, and then there are my two bottles of Penrite and Nulon which both say they meet both 925-A and 945-A.
I've been using the Penrite and Nulon in my XFR and then F-Type for the last three years with zero problems.

Old 06-13-2017, 09:06 AM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mghirsch
When I asked Jaguar about what oil to use in my 2011 5.0 premium, this was their response
;

Thank you for contacting the Jaguar Customer Relationship Center.

We appreciate your inquiry. Jaguar does not recommend a brand of oil for this vehicle, but rather, the specifications of: SAE 5W-20 meeting Jaguar
specification WSS M2C925-A. We would suggest checking Castrol and other brands for this specification. Additionally, your authorized Jaguar retailer may also be able to assist you. You can find the closest retailer to you at; www.jaguarusa.com.

If you have any questions or require additional information, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-4-JAGUAR, option 9, or by e-mail.

Sincerely,

Carol Ann Carroll
Customer Relationship Center
Jaguar Land Rover North America, LLC

So they told you what you already knew. This is typical of the useless responses you get when you ask a technical question of JLR. You'll get a similarly useless response if you call the number they provided.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:50 AM
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Cool 925-A

Well now, the Mobil 1 oil I bought at wally world last week had the 925-A spec listed on the bottle. Not all of the Mobil 1 oils, it was only on the one particular style of bottle.

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1

Plain Mobil 1. So, it was listed on the bottle however it is not listed on the website. what gives with that?

Old 06-15-2017, 12:58 AM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

It was hard to believe that with all of the cap, strap and vice grip type wrenches I have that nothing fit the jag filter housing. Picked up this wrench off Amazon - very nice quality and fits like a glove. The filter housing is now on as securely as it should be. Recommended purchase!

Old 06-16-2017, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 354 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by kenc
It was hard to believe that with all of the cap, strap and vice grip type wrenches I have that nothing fit the jag filter housing. Picked up this wrench off Amazon - very nice quality and fits like a glove. The filter housing is now on as securely as it should be. Recommended purchase!

Why do you want to crank down so hard on the filter housing?

It should be just hand tight. All of the sealing is done by the big o-ring around the housing that seals early in the threads, and the quality of that seal does not get any better with more torque on the plastic filter housing.

Old 06-16-2017, 03:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default engine oil WSS M2C925-A

Here is another possibility for engine oil that I found (while looking for one that might meet the subject Ford spec): http://www.ravenol.de/uploads/tx_rav...SAE_5W20_1.pdf

Not a brand I see being carried at the Autozone stores here in California, but it is available for shipping form the Web sellers.

So far then it looks like there are only two brands that you can buy outside of the dealer, some Mobil 1 products and this Ravenol, am I right?

Old 06-17-2017, 06:09 AM
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by zangonli
So far then it looks like there are only two brands that you can buy outside of the dealer, some Mobil 1 products and this Ravenol, am I right?

No, actually. As I noted earlier in this thread, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum satisfies the 925-A standard. While it may not say so on the bottle, there is a letter from JLR to Pennzoil stating that it satisfies that standard. I bought enough quart bottles for an oil change from Walmart with free delivery a few weeks ago.