XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Had enough of this POS!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 08:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts
Thumbs down Had enough of this POS!

Hey guys,

I had been looking forward to deiving my car again. Really looked forwards. Engine was great. Tranny u til it died. Ride comfort. Everything was great...

Even though everything is wired up properly, this POS does not want to work. Engine runs. Tranny runs. ABS works sporadically. Light off, wet road, ABS doesn't kock in when I need it. Sliiiiide along as if it was on ice. Then a traction control message pops up and the ABS light stays on.

Get home, read out the code: ABS block defect/needs replacement. Next moment the code has gone. Out for a spin, it works only for the light to turn on upon next start up.

The folding mirrors don't fold, even though they are new and the car is supposed to have the system installed (when JDD oder IDIS or whatever that crud Jaguar programme was called starts up it says it has power folding mirrors).

I've had enough. More than €8.000 invested into a POS removing faults and niggles... Had enough! I'm scrapping it and going back to Volvos. They always start and run!

So many curses have bes spoken, I've run out of them - in two languages!!!

Old 07-01-2017, 09:17 AM
luc
Received 195 Likes on 136 Posts

"""The folding mirrors don't fold, even though they are new and the car is supposed to have the system installed (when JDD oder IDIS or whatever that crud Jaguar programme was called starts up it says it has power folding mirrors). """"

Interesting. On a X308 the wiring is already there but the system need a relay and it is not always installed. Did you checked it?
What do you mean by new, like you just replaced them?
I assume that you know how to use them by putting the left/right selector in the middle?

The following 2 users liked this post by luc:
Daim (07-02-2017), Don B (07-01-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member

My car has them on the build sheet, in the JTIS crud system etc. - everything is therr for them. But they don't work...

Where should this relay be located?

Old 07-01-2017, 10:03 AM
Received 12,949 Likes on 6,469 Posts

Originally Posted by Daim
Get home, read out the code: ABS block defect/needs replacement. Next moment the code has gone. Out for a spin, it works only for the light to turn on upon next start up.
Hi Daim,

Since you've posted in the X308 forum I assume you are talking about your 1997 XJ8 3.2L Executive?

I've certainly had days of frustration with my Jaguars, but I've also repaired a lot of Volvos with their own problems (and BMWs, Mercedes, Porsches, Hondas, Toyotas, and most other makes), so please don't give up yet!

I don't know if you have any experience with the diagnostic systems or service manuals from other makers, such as Volvo VIDA, Mercedes SD, BMW INPA, Honda HDS, etc., but Jaguar's SDD/WDS/IDS is generally competitive with similar generations of other maker's systems. The truth is, all of them leave something to be desired. And in fact, I'm fairly certain the same company that designed SDD also designed Honda's HDS, at least the versions I own. Jaguar's JTIS and other service documentation are generally on a par with other maker's, and often better, especially their electrical guides, TSBs and DTC Summaries.

If you will post the exact code that was flagged for the ABS system we'll be happy to help. There are some very common issues that can usually be resolved by a capable DIYer like you with minimal expense.

Regarding the location of the folding mirror relay, check the electrical guide, which you can download here:

Jaguar X308 Electrical Guide 1998

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 07-01-2017 at 11:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Daim (07-02-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,063 Likes on 819 Posts

Here in the US, we don't have auto folding mirrors but I'm willing to bet that they're controlled by the BPM which are also know to go bad.

Daim (07-02-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,529 Likes on 3,939 Posts

Maybe it's time to let someone else start fresh with the 20yr old car. They'll probably be very grateful.

Daim (07-02-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 1,068 Posts

The PF mirror relays are 2 small black ones located on the left hand heal board.

These cars can challenge a Saint and I know how you feel having done many rebuilds. When I get angry I walk away and pick up a coffee then forget about it until I'm ready to sort it out.

With the ABS have you checked the following
4x wheel speed sensors and their link leads, also the ABS rings for crud.
Battery good?
The C1095 you'd be looking for will confirm the ABS pump module motor solder points have hairline cracks and will need the hack open and solder up job if you haven't carried this out already? It sure sounds like an intermittent fault on those solder points.

It's fixing one thing at a time, you've done most of the big stuff like the trans, little things like this should be easy.

Daim (07-02-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member

C1095 it is... Though it has gone again. Does that mean that I need to remove the pump assembly!?

These cars really do get to ya! I mean, now I have gotten my LPG ssystem running again, now the passenger side window won't go up or down using the passenger door switch. Only the driver door switch will let it down... Stupid car...

Those relays you talked about, are they in the front or the rear and then LHD/RHD?

Old 07-01-2017, 01:32 PM
Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Hi Daim,

Cheer up! I'm sure you'll sort it out!

Concerning the C1095 ABS code: I had an intermittent appearing and disappearing C1095 too. It mostly appeared out of the blue...or didn't even appeared for several weeks in a row.

Just remove the ABS module from the car (by bending the brake lines a bit) and resolder the two pump connections on the circuit board. No need remove the pump assembly and/or ABS block from the car as well. Only the ABS module - but watch out, it's a weird screw type. Had to order the nut separately.

Like in this thread JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource I opened the casing with a dremel at the specific location of the ABS pump connector and resoldered the joints. In my opinion no need to crack the whole module open, as a lot of other threads suggest.

Best regards and fingers crossed, Alexander

Daim (07-02-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member

Regarding the relays, are they to be seen here:

Old 07-01-2017, 05:57 PM
Received 12,949 Likes on 6,469 Posts

Hi Daim,

Below are some links that may be helpful in repairing your ABS module. While several owners have only re-flowed the solder on the two large pins for the pump motor connection, some have continued to have problems afterward. I have always cut off the entire back cover, and in every module I have serviced I have found cold, starved or cracked solder joints on several of the smaller pins on the circuit board, including many on the main electrical connector through which passes all communications with the wheel speed sensors and other vehicle systems. For this reason, I respectfully disagree with the approach of only re-soldering the two pump pins. While you have the module out it is not much more difficult or time-consuming to remove the entire cover and re-flow all of the solder joints you can access.

Here are the links:

ABS Module Removal by Gus

ABS Module Repair by Dan Jensen

ABS System Repair by Paul Bush

ABS Module Repair Drilling Method

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 07-01-2017 at 06:04 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
A.J.P (07-04-2017), xjr2014_de (07-02-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 07:26 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

So great to see everyone pitching in to help Daim out. You guys are the best :')

Old 07-02-2017, 12:46 AM
Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Hi Don,

thanks for sharing your experience. I didn't know that before but now I'll definitely bear in mind what you said just in case I ever will experience further issues with my ABS module.
And since it's no major additional effort to check the whole circuit board, it's definitely a no-brainer :-)
Thanks very much!

Don B (07-02-2017)
Old 07-02-2017, 02:31 AM
Veteran Member

I'll be seeing if I can get my TCS control module out today. Don't need the car for a few days...

It'll be completely opened to make sure that nothing in there has also gone wrong.

The mirrors seems to be correct. I have the relays on the rear left kickboard (violet plug in spot as per picture above). So that means it is all there. The BPU/BPM seems to work, as everything else likes to do it's job still...!?

Old 07-02-2017, 08:26 AM
Veteran Member

Got the little bugger out and it looks as if it has never been opened before. So it should be original.

I'll be opening it right up to make sure I get all the points.

Oddly, I checked the car for fault codes prior to doing this: nothing. Not even the messages on the displays... Weird fault code...

Old 07-02-2017, 04:53 PM
Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Daim
Hey guys,

I've had enough. More than €8.000 invested into a POS removing faults and niggles... Had enough! I'm scrapping it and going back to Volvos. They always start and run!

So many curses have bes spoken, I've run out of them - in two languages!!!
You def struck a chord with me, I feel your pain and I think most of us have been here buddy.....especially if your turning the wrenches yourself. Good luck my man, you know you need it

Old 07-04-2017, 04:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

I understand how you feel and I'm glad you seem to be on the right path to fixing it, however at the same time you can forgive a 20 year old car for having a few little niggles, especially after all the work you've just done on the car.
Although not on the same scale, I had a similar experience with my own car after my renovation with the persistent lean code. It was threatening to put the car out of action for my trip to Belgium, but in the end it was something simple.
Hope you get it fixed, I'm keen to hear more about your improved transmission.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:00 AM
Veteran Member

Seems simple enough... My colleague gave the entire ABS ECU a new resoldering... So that should sorted... Should!

Just need to try to figure out why the power folding mirrors don't work. I have the relays, I have the mirrors, I have the setup but it won't work... That is the most frustrating part!

Old 07-04-2017, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

Seems like a silly thing to say, but you do have the mirror selection in the centre when trying the fold don't you? Also have you checked the wiring is the same?

Old 07-04-2017, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
Seems like a silly thing to say, but you do have the mirror selection in the centre when trying the fold don't you? Also have you checked the wiring is the same?
Yep, switch is in the middle.

And how do you mean check the wiring? My car came equipped with pf mirrors... Even still attached to the build sheet on the center console (my VIN is there too) and according to the SSD/IDIS/IDS system, pf mirrors were fitted...