XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Windshield drains clogged

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 11:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 374 Posts
Default Windshield drains clogged

Recently I've noticed that whenever I wash the car, or there is some heavy rain, water will drain (overflow) into the passenger side blower fan, and from there onto the floor. Searched JTIS for diagrams or description of the drain locations, no luck. Tried to pull the windshield cowling/drain cover and look underneath, hoping to stick a pipe cleaner down somewhere but there's not much visible from there. Couldn't really tell which direction the drains went at all.

Any thoughts on where/how to start? Maybe a diagram of drain tubing?

Old 07-14-2017, 04:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,357 Likes on 1,068 Posts

The screen drain is at the centre under the cowl. If you get a flashlight down there you'll see the panels shape a slope it's an 8-10mm hole that a straightened coat hanger poked down will clear, but be careful not to go through the side of the rubber drain pipe. Remove the 2 plastic grills for better access.

If you cannot locate the hole, remove the centre bulkhead cover and look for the drain tube, then go in from directly above with your pipe cleaner.

The following users liked this post:
nilanium (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 11:00 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Nothing too helpful in JTIS but the diagram from JEPC makes the layout clearer:

Windshield drains clogged-plenum.jpg

Graham

The following users liked this post:
nilanium (07-14-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member

Is that the XK cover? Looks a bit different but it gives an idea. Which section was that under, I tried to dig through JEPC but didn't have good luck navigating to it.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member

Didn't have time to test my solution but I *may* have figured out the cause. The drain actually funnels towards the center towards the wiper motor assembly. From there it just seems to drain out of that all over the top of the transmission or something. All very strange... However, there is a "non-return valve" that's just a flap of rubber at the bottom, and that seems to have gunked up and stuck shut. Guess it's non-return so that the hvac isn't sucking in engine fumes through there.

There are also drain hoses at the edges of the cowling/cover, removing the false bulkhead covers provides access to them. The passenger side one seemed clear, but again I didn't get a chance to pump water through it.

part 4 is the non-return valve in the washer motor cover/assembly