X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X-type cooling fan module replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 05:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-type cooling fan module replacement.

Hi guys! I'm new to the forum and I've been reading a few posts about the cooling fan module. The problem is that my gf's 04 x-type overheated a few days ago...worse when a/c on and the temp gauge is all the way to the red with the light on. I already checked for coolant leaks, air bubbles, fuses, and they're all good.

I also tried cranking the a/c on max and the fans didn't turn on. After reading a few threads this led me to the cooling control module. I already unbolted the 8mm screw that's holding it in place, but scared to pull it all the way out and damage some wires in the process. Can anyone share any tips or procedures on how to do it?

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-20-2017, 07:04 PM

Also, do I need to get a harness for the module? Or can I just use the same one in the 04 x-type?

Old 07-20-2017, 08:32 PM
Received 8,132 Likes on 4,907 Posts

The original modules are NLA.
Jaguar sells the newer version that includes all the fans, module and wiring.

I replaced dozens when I worked at the dealer.

You might find a good-used module.

bob

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
XT303-22 Cooling Fan Module.pdf (23.2 KB, 454 views)
Old 07-20-2017, 08:36 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by randyman986
Hi guys! I'm new to the forum and I've been reading a few posts about the cooling fan module. The problem is that my gf's 04 x-type overheated a few days ago...worse when a/c on and the temp gauge is all the way to the red with the light on. I already checked for coolant leaks, air bubbles, fuses, and they're all good.

I also tried cranking the a/c on max and the fans didn't turn on. After reading a few threads this led me to the cooling control module. I already unbolted the 8mm screw that's holding it in place, but scared to pull it all the way out and damage some wires in the process. Can anyone share any tips or procedures on how to do it?

Thanks in advance!
Hi randyman, I had the samething happen to mine. The overheating portion of your issue suggests a bad water pump and / or thermostat - both are prone to fail over time. As for the fans not coming on, Ill let someone else touch on that.

Good luck!
Chris

Old 07-20-2017, 08:51 PM

Thanks for the quick reply guys! The car overheats only when the A/C is on. I contacted Dr. Dome and just waiting if he has the old module or not. There are some on ebay and on Amazon but they are the newer version, so I guess I need an adapter harness too if I get the new ones.

If you guys have any leads on where to get them please let me know.

Thanks again!

Old 07-21-2017, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 746 Likes on 666 Posts

Seems AWFULLY low price, but here's the link =

https://m.alibaba.com/product/605361...501&redirect=1

Old 07-21-2017, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 746 Likes on 666 Posts

Another place, based in California =

https://www.concord-parts.com/goods/C2S49717/Jaguar

Old 07-21-2017, 01:23 PM

Thanks a lot for the links Dell! I already bought one from ebay -- I bought the older version. The newer ones I need an adapter harness and that's at least another $100ish. Dr.Dome also gave me a deal, just in case the one I got is defective.

Removal and installation is pretty straightforward right? No tricky bits? I was looking at some pics and it looks like undoing the clips and getting thru some tight spaces.

Old 08-06-2017, 02:06 PM

Update on the cooling fan module...I replaced the defective module on my gf's 04 x-type with a used one from the junkyard (02 x-type) and that lasted a few days. I replaced it again from a part I bought from ebay (also an older module version) and I just checked the fans and they're not turning on when I turn the AC on max -- it was working a few weeks ago.

Am I missing anything? Fuses? Relays? or should I just go with the newer module and get the harness?

Thanks!

Old 08-07-2017, 10:22 PM

keep us updated, iam having a few overheating problems also, had a slight drip from the coolant pipe i unbolted it and put a little teflon tape around the o ring, since they didnt send me the right o ring, looking to change the waterpump if the problem persist...

Old 08-13-2017, 11:35 PM

So I'm ordering a new cooling fan module for the 04 xtype and getting a harness for it. Does the harness from the dealership just for the power source or does it also comes with the wires that connects to the fans?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 08-14-2017, 12:42 PM
Received 149 Likes on 138 Posts

Send 12v directly to the fans and see if they are running; the fan motors can fail, too! That is bad news for the controller, the output transistors don't like to look into an open condition (they'll usually survive a short, they have thermat cut-outs, and the motor fuses will blow).

Old 08-14-2017, 09:30 PM

I'll try to do that wa3ra. I know the fan on the passenger's side comes on, but I haven't seen the lower driver's side come on (when I replaced the module). Now both turn on when I put the AC on max. Do both fans turn on at the same time?

Old 08-15-2017, 07:14 PM

so i supplied power to the fans...the passenger's side fan spins...the driver's side spins a little then it's stuck. I have to manually force the fan to move freely then it gets stuck again.

Can I just spray something on the fan or do I have to replace the whole assembly?