F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sat Radio

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 08:06 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sat Radio

Hi guys. I just bought a 2014 F Type that is very well optioned. It has the premium pack, performance seats, vision pack, extended leather and 20 inch wheels. What it doesn't have is a Sat radio. Go figure, I thought they All had this. I saw on Ebay a Sat radio module. It looks like plug and play. The dealer said I would have to replace the whole radio at a ridiculous cost to add the Sat radio.
Does anyone know if you can just add a module and then be able to subscribe?

Old 08-21-2017, 08:15 AM
Received 136 Likes on 64 Posts

Don't bother adding the Sat radio. You are better off, by far using the Bluetooth streaming feature from your smart phone. You can download Sirius, Pandora and a dozen other apps for your listening pleasure. Here's the best part, the sound quality is superior IMO compared to that of the radio.

The following users liked this post:
Burt Gummer (08-21-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 08:27 AM
Received 4,466 Likes on 2,427 Posts

The dealer is feeding you a story, because they are not allowed to make the retrofit, you don't need to replace the radio, that's simply not true.

The factory system can be installed, however it is NOT plug & play, some programming is needed to activate the SAT functions on the touchscreen.

You need the SDARS module, the antenna, and a couple of cables.

I have a contact in the Tampa area who can make the installation & programming if you want, send me a PM I can put you in touch with him.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:02 AM
Received 176 Likes on 132 Posts

If you don't want to do Cambo's suggestion, you can always get an aftermarket radio and plug it into the aux port or use an FM modulator. (The modulator doesn't sound as good.) I've done this on previous cars in the early days of sat radio. If you want to go the external route I've got a couple of radios that I'd let go for super cheap - just pm me.

Old 08-21-2017, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 283 Likes on 214 Posts

Honestly with spotify/deezer/apple streaming music, I really wonder how long satellite radio has left.

Old 08-21-2017, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 353 Likes on 258 Posts

+1 I have Sirius and only have used it once. Spotify or Pandora streaming is so much nicer.

Let's face it, the FT's media sucks. Get a nice phone, attach it with a mount under the vents.

Use Waze + Spotify together and done.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Streaming isn't very reliable when on long road trips. However, that's the only time I really use Sirius.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:54 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for all the responses. I think that I will probably do the streaming thing. I have an XF for a daily driver and use Sirius all the time. The Ftype is more of a weekend toy so I think Pandora or my own library will suffice.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:53 PM
Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Just be happy that your car doesn't come with it. I never used it and when the free trial expired I received calls from them at least twice a week...even after telling them I do not want it...multiple times.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:22 PM
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Streaming isn't very reliable when on long road trips. However, that's the only time I really use Sirius.

I used to have Sirius but I cancelled it a few years ago. Shorter commute, free podcasts and Spotify have replaced my need for Sirius. As an added bonus all of those run off my phone and mean that I can use them in any car that has Bluetooth or an AUX port. This is important to me because I can use them in rental cars.

Premium versions of Spotify let you download music for when you are out reception. Podcasts can also be downloaded to your phone. However, downloading stuff does require prior planning.

One of my complaints with Sirius was the sound quality which quite frankly sucks compared even the free version of Spotify. Spotify Premium connected via wire or USB is in a whole different league than Sirius.

Old 08-22-2017, 01:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 353 Likes on 258 Posts

Spotify allows downloads to compliment out of service area listening.