XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Coolant question

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 07:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coolant question

Good day (or night)-

Have a 92 xjs 5.3 V12. We arrived at a friend's cottage for the weekend after driving about 100 miles. Car wasn't started until we left 2 days later. When we started it, the coolant light came on. Since it was cold, the cap was removed and the level was about 2 inches from cap seal where the manual says it should be.

Bought a gallon of coolant and slowly added about 2 quarts. But the level remained about where it was originally after the coolant was added. Anyway restarted and no coolant light so drove home ok. No light.

Took it to our local Jag shop, they said coolant level was ok, pressure check only showed a small leak at one of the hoses and all was needed was tightening of the clamp.

My question is, the mechanic mentioned that if light comes on again I should check the reservoir on the side of the fender and add coolant there instead of removing the cap.

That's what I do with my other vehicles but unless I'm going blind I can't find any reservoir. I'm going to call the shop but before doing that does anyone know what he was referring to?

Old 08-22-2017, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by RogB
Good day (or night)-

Have a 92 xjs 5.3 V12. We arrived at a friend's cottage for the weekend after driving about 100 miles. Car wasn't started until we left 2 days later. When we started it, the coolant light came on. Since it was cold, the cap was removed and the level was about 2 inches from cap seal where the manual says it should be.

Bought a gallon of coolant and slowly added about 2 quarts. But the level remained about where it was originally after the coolant was added. Anyway restarted and no coolant light so drove home ok. No light.

Took it to our local Jag shop, they said coolant level was ok, pressure check only showed a small leak at one of the hoses and all was needed was tightening of the clamp.

My question is, the mechanic mentioned that if light comes on again I should check the reservoir on the side of the fender and add coolant there instead of removing the cap.

That's what I do with my other vehicles but unless I'm going blind I can't find any reservoir. I'm going to call the shop but before doing that does anyone know what he was referring to?
header tank is LH side engine bay right up front just rearward of radiator, just look for the cap as the tank is mounted low with long neck rising from the clutter around that area. The low coolant sensor is in that tank.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,817 Likes on 2,642 Posts

Hi RogB

You can see the Cap of 'The Header Tank' in this Photo just by the Red Wire.

The Header Tank has a Rad Cap just by that Red Wire.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:33 AM
Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Hi RogB.
My problem was equalizing canister, which is in the left fender under plastic cover. From lower tank goes hose in engine bay through inner fender to canister. When is coolant hot and have large volume, goes to the canister. When is cold, go back to lower tank. I had hose broken and full of rust in the break. Coolant goes (hot) out from the system. And I cannot to find any leaking. I changed the hose, then filled system and the canister into half. I have no problem with low coolant warning.
Maybe it help.

Old 08-23-2017, 04:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Coolant question

Thanks to all. Much appreciated!