Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil leak?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 12:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 338 Likes on 213 Posts
Default Oil leak?

I had a look under the car after a (spirited) drive this afternoon (no reason other than just curious to see if everything looked good). Found some black oil/greasy substance just behind and on the inside of the left front wheel (on the engine side of the left wheel arch - just under the left side of the engine).
The oil/grease was on some of the brackets/structures there. It was very thick and sticky (not dripping) and with no smell. Easy to wipe of the fingers with a cloth.
After opening the hood and looking down on the front left "corner" of the engine bay, I could see a thin film of the same oil/grease on the lower part of the black cylindric plastic container placed there, and on the lower part of the air intake tube (?) underneath.
Does anyone have any suggestions to what this might be?
​​​​​

Old 09-30-2017, 01:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Hard to tell, but when brakes heat up anti-noise compound used to service brakes can melt and splatter. Are you sure it is oil? Could you take a picture of it and post it here?

Also, check your engine oil level.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member

Engine oil level is fine, and I am pretty shure it's not engine oil. Just been to service as well (a few weeks back). Not shure it's oil. It's thick and sticky and very black. Could be some sort of grease (very much the same viscosity)?
Did think of taking some pics, but it was getting too dark. Will see if I can get some tomorrow.

Old 09-30-2017, 02:41 PM
Tel
Received 233 Likes on 143 Posts

Could be an oil breather (re-circ) leak. I think these motors plonk the oil mist back into the 'air in' circuit...but don't quote me on that.

When I get a chance I'll check the w/s manual for you.

Old 09-30-2017, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Tel, I apreciate that

Old 09-30-2017, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Take a picture of the exact location. I can't locate it based on your description. However, based on general location, more likely to be coolant than anything else. Does the residue taste like oil or is it sweet. (Okay, for those of you who are horrified, you can't be a real mechanic unless you get intimate with the car. I'm talking about touching it to the tip of your tongue, not downing a six-pack of the stuff, lol)

Old 09-30-2017, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Unhingd. I will see if I can get some pics tomorrow when the daylight is back, and I will tast as well (tongue only ). It had no smell, and viscosity was very much like grease, and it had some sand and dirt stuck to it, so it appears to have been there for at least some time (have not driven the car on dirt roads). Color was black, so it did not seem like coolant, and can coolant get that sticky?

More info tomorrow...

Old 10-01-2017, 03:33 AM
Veteran Member

Had a closer look (and taste) today, and I think I know what it is (and it's tasteless). Early this year I had the underside of the car coated (sprayed) with some thin anti-corrotion material. In color it is brownish and semi transluctant.

What I think has happened is that some of this material has come on parts/areas that gets rather hot. It has melted/become more fluid and collected on the lower parts - and picked up dirt as it gets more "sticky" when melted (normally it is not sticky when it has dried after aplication). That is also probably the reason for why it looked black, as I could see it was brownish/black when I got it on my fingers today (in better light).

I also think the reason I found some of this "stuff" under the canister placed front right of the engine (looking from the top with hood open), is because some "stuff" found it's way up there when spraying.

Here are a few pics as promissed, if someone care to "evaluate" my thoughts:

Camera position just behind left front wheel looking 45 degrees forward. The brownish stuff is the anti-corrotion material. Same camera position taken in 90 degree angle.

The canister (front left of engine) where I found some grease underneath that looked to have been sprayed on.

Bottom of canister in top of picture. Part of air intake tube in lower part of picture. Both have signs of the same "stuff" that looks like it has been sprayed on (no dripping/running). It's not much and hard to see.

Last edited by Arne; 10-01-2017 at 03:36 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 861 Posts

i think you're on to something Arne...

Attached Thumbnails Oil leak?-img_2163.jpg  

Last edited by RickyJay52; 10-01-2017 at 03:54 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by RickyJay52

I do think all is good. Just me being being "overprecautious"

Old 10-01-2017, 05:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,664 Likes on 3,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Arne
Had a closer look (and taste) today, and I think I know what it is (and it's tasteless). Early this year I had the underside of the car coated (sprayed) with some thin anti-corrotion material. In color it is brownish and semi transluctant.