F-Type ( X152 ) 2014 - Onwards
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Breaking, and brake (and other parts) wear?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 714 Likes on 408 Posts
Default Engine Breaking, and brake (and other parts) wear?

So I engine break.
https://jalopnik.com/actually-engine...ine-1818491096

Always have. We can have that discussion, at length. But it's generally assumed to be A-ok.

So whatever I might be doing to the engine, I am saving in brakes.

But I just did 32,000 mile service, and they said the brakes were fine.

So, I was wondering at what point you start replacing stuff on this car. Coming from a "change oil every 3000 miles on your 20 year old Jeep", this thing is like a spaceship. So I don't understand modern car parts at all....

Is there a list of typical / average wear and replacement of different parts on this car, specifically the brakes?

And.... do you engine brake? =)

The following users liked this post:
jbajor (10-11-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 11:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,603 Likes on 861 Posts

While I can't comment on other parts of the F-Type, when it comes to braking - and I'm surprised anyone uses the brakes! Or, in the words of Captain Renault, "I'm shocked. Shocked to find that anyone uses brakes." - this is what I use:

Attached Thumbnails Engine Breaking, and brake (and other parts) wear?-chute.jpg  
Old 10-11-2017, 11:34 AM
Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts

Personally I'd rather wear out the brakes a little bit more often, and save the engine and transmission.

^ I'm talking about when driving on public roads. Of course I'll engine brake for fun - but it's not to save my brakes.

On the other hand, if I feel like I have overworked the brakes on a vehicle, I'd engine brake for safety, to give them some help, etc.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:35 AM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

I was shocked last month when I replaced tires, and asked the guy to check the pads (he had already put the front wheels back on, so only checked the rears.) He estimated that I hat 80% left, and I have 39,000 miles on the car including two track days. Generally, I don't drive aggressively.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,141 Likes on 1,461 Posts

Originally Posted by RickyJay52
this is what I use:
Is this for when you drive your F-type off the cliff?

Old 10-11-2017, 12:26 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

I've always considered engine braking dropping a gear (or two) to slow down as opposed to coasting along in gear at moderate RPM. Coasting along I always considered "driving" as you can't only accelerate or maintain a constant speed while in gear. Of course much depends on how aggressively you're slowing / dropping gears and how good you are at rev matching. In general, brake pads are cheap, engines are expensive.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,603 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by SinF
Is this for when you drive your F-type off the cliff?
The name's Jay. RickyJay. Not Thelma or Louise.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:18 PM
DJS
Veteran Member
Received 2,106 Likes on 1,406 Posts

That's Jay's drogue chute. If you've driven behind him, you'd understand.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by DJS
That's Jay's drogue chute. If you've driven behind him, you'd understand.
I admit I just engine brake for fun, pops and crackles, etc. I am not thinking of saving the pads, but the more I read about it, people would be hard pressed to truly prove that engine braking is wearing/tearing more than reversing or normal driving. Maybe, maybe not.

BUT... as cool as that chute is, I've ALWAYS WANTED TO FIND THESE MISSILES

Last edited by Uncle Fishbits; 10-12-2017 at 12:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Uncle Fishbits:
DJS (10-12-2017), Mbourne (10-12-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 983 Likes on 734 Posts

My first racing was on a two-stroke motorcycle, and it's pretty clear in that case: The engine is for accelerating and the brakes are for decelerating.

That said, I do use engine braking in the car but in a limited way. The front wheels are more effective for braking because of weight transfer, and with RWD, there's only so much the engine will do.

In other words, I paid for the big brakes to do big braking.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

My 2c.
Don’t engine brake with an AT (excessive wear).Do anything you want with an MT, but double clutch down (save the syncros) if you are engine braking and never coast in neutral (safety issue). When I am driving civilized I hardly ever use the brakes except to come to a full stop. When I’m on it, I’m heavy on the throttle and even heavier on the brakes. It’s not rocket science...the less time you spend on the brakes and the more time you spend on full throttle, the faster you go. Engine braking is way too slow under those circumstances.

Last edited by Unhingd; 10-11-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:05 PM
Awd
Received 79 Likes on 51 Posts

Early days of driving in a spirited way I was advised that brake pads and disks were maintenance items....and inexpensive in the cosmic scale of things.....motors and trannys on the other hand, not so much.
With the F type...I enjoy letting the inner age 11 in me enjoy the snap crackle and pop....but no 7 th gear to 3 Rd gear as I approach the rt hander at the end of the straight.

Perhaps not intended but I enjoyed the " engine breaking " in the op.

Old 10-12-2017, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Awd
Early days of driving in a spirited way I was advised that brake pads and disks were maintenance items....and inexpensive in the cosmic scale of things.....motors and trannys on the other hand, not so much.
With the F type...I enjoy letting the inner age 11 in me enjoy the snap crackle and pop....but no 7 th gear to 3 Rd gear as I approach the rt hander at the end of the straight.

Perhaps not intended but I enjoyed the " engine breaking " in the op.
lol homonyms get me. braking. I did enjoy Electric Boogaloo, however. But damnit I spelled it wrong the entire time. That's fairly rare, so do enjoy a chuckle. Dang. I'm changin' it anyhoo.

& I should have paid for the bigger brakes. After the fact they're like $12K to install. Boo. I am a manual, but I should prolly get that "grand scheme" philosophy. Use the easy to replace items.

But the question is really born from how long the brake pads last. Like... it's crazy to me.

80% left and 39K? WILD

Old 10-12-2017, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 179 Likes on 153 Posts

Well, it may be that - dusting aside - the pads last well.

Since you now have brakes that work better than my Father’s ‘64 Falcon, I think it’s okay to use them, rather than the column mounted pre-selector to slow the car down.

Brakes continue to be The Thing for stopping, obviously...

But seriously? He used the transmission to get the speed below 40 on an Off Ramp, as that way he could get it stopped using the brakes. Apparently, if he tried using the brakes from Interstate speeds, the pedal went to the floor while he was still travelling at over 45. Something to think about if buying a Classic...

Old 10-14-2017, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by F-typical
Since you now have brakes that work better than my Father’s ‘64 Falcon

[...]

He used the transmission to get the speed below 40 on an Off Ramp, as that way he could get it stopped using the brakes. Apparently, if he tried using the brakes from Interstate speeds, the pedal went to the floor while he was still travelling at over 45.
Near the top of my "Things I Do Not Miss" is drum brakes.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,661 Likes on 3,366 Posts

Originally Posted by lizzardo
Ignition points, and multiple carbs that need to be synched are on top of my list. (Haven't had to use my 4 tube manometer in decades).

Old 10-15-2017, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Ignition points, and multiple carbs that need to be synched are on top of my list. (Haven't had to use my 4 tube manometer in decades).
Points, definitely, and I'll say even distributors of the electronic type. I switched from the four-tube manometer to dial gauges for portability (bring to the track) but I haven't used that in ten years. It's still useful for the motorcycles that are fuel injected but with individual throttle bodies.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lizzardo
There's a writer for Keith Martin's Sports Car Market, however, who just last month had an opinion:

"Stirling Moss drove his Mercedes Benz 300SLR for a little over 10 hours at an average speed of 98 miles an hour en route to his legendary victory in the 1955 Mille Miglia. If drum brakes were good enough for him, why can't we use them today?"

I figure because we made better ones?lol But I do think he's talking about vintage cars *not* being retrofitted.

But you have got to love threshold braking!

Old 10-16-2017, 03:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Unhingd
Hey! ....OK, they did require a bit of setup but they look cool!

Dave

Old 10-16-2017, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 330 Likes on 257 Posts

On topic; I engine brake.....always have (at least when driving in a "spirited" manner). I like the noise and being in the right gear to hit it again.

Dave