XJ40 ( XJ81 ) 1986 - 1994

Front Upper Shock Mount - Gap

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 04:19 PM
Received 301 Likes on 182 Posts
Default Front Upper Shock Mount - Gap

I switched over my snow tires already as the ~12 year old Dunlop SP50s that I bought the car with were unevenly worn and causing a significant pull to the left.

I noticed a gap at the top of the shock, between the cupped washer and the body. Is this gap normal with the car lifted off the tires? Or is it an indication of the foam isloators being too worn, or the top mounting nut not being tightened down enough?

I replaced the shocks about 2 years ago, and installed new yellow foam isolators, and actually have a spare set hanging around.

I feel like with the gap, there's a chance that when the car is lowered (or goes over a bump), the cupped washer might not seat properly in the hole in the body.

Any experience with this?

Nick

Old 10-15-2017, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,160 Likes on 815 Posts

There should not be any gap there. I have to think the bushings have got hard, Not sure why though. I had that happen on the Moneyfunnel- the gap part- while I was rebuilding the front. It made an unsettling rattle. If I recall, my mistake was leaving that centering washer out. So, not really the same at all. Sorry. Is it possible that your top shock nut has backed off? 2 years isn't very long though and that one does look used up.. I might be trying to think of a reason the bushing got hard. Excessive heat, exposure to caustic chemicals? Or just bad parts..... (No offense).

Old 10-15-2017, 09:50 AM
Received 13,399 Likes on 6,606 Posts

Originally Posted by NTL1991
I noticed a gap at the top of the shock, between the cupped washer and the body. Is this gap normal with the car lifted off the tires? Or is it an indication of the foam isloators being too worn, or the top mounting nut not being tightened down enough?

Hi Nick,

The gap definitely indicates that either the top nut was not tightened enough, or the yellow foam rubber bushings have hardened and compressed. There should be no gap even when the car is jacked up and the suspension is hanging by its weight. The original bushings didn't last more than five years or so, but the ones being produced today seem to only last a few years. If the gap gets large enough, you'll hear knocking noises when going over bumps. I still prefer the softer ride with the OE-style yellow foam bushings over the harsher ride with the aftermarket "lifetime" hard black rubber versions.

My large images are still down at Jag-Lovers, but the thumbnails and descriptions at the links below deal with these bushings.

Front Shock/Damper Bush Replacement

Cheers,

Don

The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (10-21-2017), EssOess (01-06-2018)
Old 10-15-2017, 10:12 PM
Received 301 Likes on 182 Posts

Thanks guys!

Those foam bushings were provided with the new shock assemblies, which were either Sachs or Boge (can't remember exactly which at the moment). I did order a set of Jaguar OE bushings for my X300 XJ12 (there are cheap rubber ones installed now) but if I can use them now for the 40, I will.

Now that I know it's abnormal, this will be my next project. The old worn bushings will come out, the new will go in. IIRC, the top nuts were tightened to the specified torque and I thought all was well. This time I'll make sure the gap closes after that torque is achieved.

Thanks guys

Nick

Old 10-15-2017, 11:33 PM
Received 13,399 Likes on 6,606 Posts

Originally Posted by NTL1991
...the top nuts were tightened to the specified torque and I thought all was well. This time I'll make sure the gap closes after that torque is achieved.
Maybe even more important than tightening the top nuts to the correct torque spec is that they must be tightened until they pinch the top and bottom ends of the spacer tubes between the shoulder on the shock shaft and the top washer (I think). I just tried to grab the parts diagram from jaguarclassicparts.com but the site must be down for maintenance.

If the nuts are not tightened far enough until they tighten down on the tops of the spacer tubes, you'll have too much play between the bushings. I generally just tighten the top nuts by feel, and when I feel the top nut suddenly tighten up solidly, I'm done. The Nyloc inserts keep them from spinning off.

Cheers,

Don

The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (10-21-2017), EssOess (01-06-2018)