XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

X 308 - Best Jaguar ever?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2017, 09:15 AM
Received 176 Likes on 122 Posts

I can't say whether they are the best or worst, because my '98 XJR is the only Jaguar I've ever owned. But I don't really care because, in my opinion, it is the best LOOKING car ever made! I consider the X308's to be the last traditional Jaguar body style. Every time I see it I still have the same reaction "man that's a nice car!". I guess I'm biased, but that's ok.

Old 04-09-2017, 01:01 PM
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Figured I'd post this again. Seems revelent here.

I found this thread from a roadfly forum from august 8th 2004:

LOL at the references from only 13 years ago.....

Remember, this is a post from 2004!!!!

Top 10 reasons to choose an X308 over an X350:

10. It’s the last of the classic low-slung, Lyons-era Jaguar sedans.

9. Its faults are few, known, and fixable.

8. You can buy one for less than a Camry.

7. Door-ding repairs will not require a visit to Boeing’s plant in Seattle.

6. It is the first day-to-day reliable British luxury car.

5. No sedan since the end of WWII can equal its looks, and that includes the new Maserati Quattroporte.

4. The X308’s mechanical suspension will be repairable by its owner 25 years from now. (Lord have mercy on those seeking “air suspension” computer modules even 10 years from now.)

3. It is so old-fashioned that it can never go out of fashion.

2. It was created at that magic moment when the Ford money got through to Coventry, but not the stylists or the bean counters.

1. It will not be mistaken for a Mercury Marquis.

John Mulvihill, technical writer, San Francisco Bay Area
1998 XJ8, Anthracite/Charcoal

Last edited by Rpach10115; 04-09-2017 at 01:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rsgensburg (04-11-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 02:37 PM
Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

Daim, at 1st, after reading your response I thought you were the type of person who just likes to rain on people's parade. I have adjusted that opinion. You just like a good debate....lol. I thank everyone who jumped in to bolster my argument . I am sure every Jaguar owner of different models all think theirs is the best. That is what is fun about this! Pride in ownership! I thought of a couple more things I adore about my Jag. All steel body. My car has spent its whole life in the South Carolina and Georgia so rust is not an issue, thank goodness. I like the solid thunk the steel body gives when I shut a door, the hood or trunk. And my 2nd praise for the day is the glass headlights. Most cars have plastic headlights that get cloudy over time and then you have to polish them to get them clear again. Real glass headlights, a sign of quality that is no longer being done.

Don B (04-18-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by Jennifer S Flavell
And my 2nd praise for the day is the glass headlights. Most cars have plastic headlights that get cloudy over time and then you have to polish them to get them clear again. Real glass headlights, a sign of quality that is no longer being done.
Amen! God I hate modern, bug-eyed headlights with ten square feet of yellowing plastic pointed not forward, but mostly straight up at the sky. Infiniti Q70 might beat out Jaguar for the 308s replacement, but I'm having a hard time accepting the awful headlights.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

This may come as a surprise to some, but I don't think the X308 is the best Jaguar ever, but it's certainly one of the best. If you judge a car on how it's engineered and drives, that'll lead you to a different conclusion to how you judge it on how it makes you feel.

I love the 308, I love how it's styled, how it's interior is trimmed, the colours used, the materials used and the overall handmade feel to it. I love how the rear end tapers and how the nose sits so proud. I love the sounds it makes, the boot opening, the sounds of the vents moving with the AC, the sound the starter motor makes. I love the way it rides, corners and cruises. I love how even though she is an old model, people still look at you and the car with jealousy. I think that it's proportionally perfect, and those who complain about lack of space are sitting wrong. I'm 6ft tall and none of my body has ever contacted the ceiling, nor inadvertently activated controls. Lets not forget this is not a car designed for an active family lifestyle, or even a family, so the lack of usable interior space can be forgiven as far as I am concerned. But most of all I love how it makes me feel, I feel like every journey is special, I feel safe and I feel comfortable. I feel better when I arrive then when I left and I never feel angry when driving my XJ.

I've never found the interior plastics to be brittle, but I acknowledge that the use of plastics in certain engine areas was silly. However we now know what areas to watch out for and there are metal replacements available for most of these parts, so I would say it's unfair to judge it on that too. Like with any car, be it Mercedes, BMW, Audi or Rolls Royce even, if it's not taken care of properly from the start then don't expect it to go the distance. This is where many of the cars have fallen, second or third owners simply haven't given them the care they need. Now as car's have entered the throwaway culture of the modern world, expect to find more of this.

But I still don't think it was the best ever. I think the best Jag ever, in my opinion was the MK2. I say this because when it hit the world in 1959 it blew everyone away, it's styling alone was enough to make people queue up to buy one. Everyone loved the MK2, from the rich to the poor. Criminal gangs would steal them to use as getaway cars, sometimes they would be stolen from the gangs by other gangs. The police used them for Motorway patrol and their portrayal in various media has led to become one of the most instantly recognisable cars ever.

I know a lot of people in the world will think the E-Type is the best ever, and they are entitled to that opinion. But since the 60's the bulk of Jaguar's cars were saloons, and the basic DNA of those saloons stems from the MK2. I dream of owning a MK2, I missed out on an opportunity to buy one stupidly cheap about 10 years ago through ignorance and naivety. It's something I kick myself about on a regular basis.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stu 1986:
Daim (04-11-2017), Don B (04-18-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 03:40 AM
Received 92 Likes on 49 Posts
Default MK2 and all of the old Jaguar saloons are beautiful, but..

I would love to have an MK2 in my garage and take it out on special occasions, but would not want it as my every day driver like my X308. Certainly, nothing today comes close to the beauty and craftsmanship of those old cars, but trying to deal with the Lucus electronics, carburetors, etc would be a nightmare. The X308 is very modern, luxurious, beautiful and relatively reliable. I do use it as my everyday car. Certainly, because it is 18 years old, there will be problems, but so far manageable, sometimes expensive (like the metal timing chain tensioners and new transmission). I find the interior to be excellent and do not feel there is a lot of cheap plastic. I had a GM product in which the plastic turned to dust after 15 years. The ride is very luxurious. I prefer is to my wife's modern BMW.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:07 AM
Received 293 Likes on 163 Posts

I also don't know if the X308 is 'the best Jaguar ever'. Its a tough one.

I know it was the first ever car I was exposed to- pre production- at Whitley as a young engineer. The X100 had just been launched and Jaguar were riding high on all the praise from the press on this car.

I had driven/borrowed the straight six cars and the V12 - I still rememeber the number plates M698 GDU! A glorious white affair. Smooth, gentle and powerful. The 308 programme was coming- and it was a case of getting the lessons learned from the X100 and applying them to the 300 shell. The AJV8 had to appeal to those who previously were used to the incredible V12 and yet exceed the expectations of those who were used to the supercharged AJ16. Originally there was to be a V12, V8 and V6 in the AJ26 family line (12+8+6= 26) but thanks to Fords corporate platforming strategy that idea never saw the light of day.
Lots of work had been done benchmarking the Lexus LS400 (IMO heavily over rated- usually by Americans). We found the engine alone on a stand wasn't any quieter or more refined than the AJV8, it also not only made a lot less power and torque but also didn't make the claimed power.

I was at Bridgend for the upgrade from AJ26 to AJ27.
So about 20 years on-my views of the X308 are doused with a lot of nostalgia. I think the X308 is notable in that it is the last large saloon that has evolved the classic seminal Jaguar double wishbone IRS derived from Bob Knights original concept. It uses Jaguars own engine. This was a battle that Jaguar won, thanks a lot to the efforts of guys like Dave Scuzpak, as Ford were trying to corporatize us and make us use the ubiquitous 4.6 modular 'Romeo' V8. Externally to me the looks are perfection- it looks very much like an XJ90 concept - the car that was killed but instead building on and evolving XJ40 and X300 mechanicals. Its a celebration of the incredible late Geoff Lawsons efforts into the last major saloon manufacturer at Browns Lane (I know technical some of the early X350s were made at Browns lane but it was always intended from the start that this model would migrate to Castle Bromich).
As a young engineer I always kept my eyes open towards what BMW and the competition were doing- and I was amazed that this little 4 litre V8 was very efficient- part load break thermal efficiency was outstanding. Compare that to a contemporary Mercedes. The interior was classic Jaguar. At the time, it wasn't my thing- I preferred the dour ergonomic driver focused cockpits of BMW but as I've grown older I much prefer the old school Jaguar approach. The X350 by comparison is a technical tour-de-force but the X308 isn't bad technical at all, with that incredible refined and efficient engine and great engine management system but it balances that out with a lot of old school Jaguar DNA and Jaguar heritage ,inimitable class and elegance.

Last edited by Count Iblis; 10-19-2017 at 08:15 AM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Count Iblis:
Coventrywood (10-23-2017), ericjansen (10-19-2017), Jhartz (10-19-2017), nilanium (10-19-2017), Scotlad (10-19-2017), Stu 1986 (10-19-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-19-2017, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member

In my opinion the XJ died when the 308 went out of production, the XJ's that followed are like the Fiat 500 or Ford GT; Looks a bit like the original but nothing like it really. I'm told by reliable sources that there are aspects of the X308 that can be traced right back to the original 60's one.

The X350 that followed was a nasty looking bit of kit, bog eyed and fat. Inside the interior was not inviting, at least not to me. I've driven one and it left a bad taste in my mouth, it felt like it was trying too hard.

The new XJ or the X351 is a totally different thing. Whilst I do like it I treat it as a different car, not as an evolution of the XJ we know. It's very nice inside and it's capable of a lot of clever technical things. But I really can't see myself romping along the country lanes in one, it wouldn't seem appropriate. It's very much a car to be driven in rather than to drive these days. Even in XJR flavour I'm not sure I'd be want to drive in anger. I'd still have one though, but I'll be keeping a 308 forever.

Old 10-19-2017, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

I guess many of the answers here are very biased. I'm on my 2nd XJ or my 3rd XJ if you include the related XJ-S... My opinion is, that the X308 isn't that what the X300 was. And the X300 isn't that what a Series III XJ was... But then again, I have been flamed here formfinding the E Type fugly and bad to drive, so what do I know? The best Jag FOR ME is the XJ-S in pre Facelift style with the V12 only.

ericjansen (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 475 Likes on 311 Posts

I've got an X300 and I think you could say that the series ran from 1995 through 2002. The styling is a home run, I think they are really beautiful. I get compliments all the time and every time I walk out to my car I get a tremendous feeling of satisfaction. Even if the car is not as 100% efficient in it's use of space, so what. It's definitely more comfortable and practical than any sports car or GT. Definitely a great Jag, it's your opinion if it's the best.

ericjansen (10-19-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 07:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Daim
...I have been flamed here formfinding the E Type fugly and bad to drive, so what do I know...
Maybe it was not what you said, but the way you said it

Now tell me, I have been inside, but never rode a X300, why are they considered better than the X308 (interior design apart)?

Old 10-19-2017, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member

Thread revival, huh? Now having an XF for a few months, I think Jag did go downhill a bit. Yes the XF is more powerful, but its more than I'll ever use. There's even MORE plastic in the cooling system. Its already at 29K miles got more squeaks and rattles than the X308 at 120K. And I am still mostly driving the X308 until I can find time to install my new Spires softer springs, dampers, custom wheels and higher profile tires. Stock XF Portfolio is like riding a skateboard on cobblestones. And while its gotten two compliments from strangers in three months, its nowhere near the ratio of compliments per mile that the X308 gets. I do love the XF Portfolio interior tho, its absolutely beautiful. And its still a Jaguar so I don't have to memorize my license plate number to ensure that I don't try to get in the wrong car at the grocery store parking lot.

Old 10-20-2017, 04:15 AM
Veteran Member

The X300 May look similar to the X308 but there are a few thousand differences between the two. Aside from the obvious engine, computer systems and interior differences the “behind the scenes” stuff is a lot different.
I’ve got no animosity towards the X300 myself, I just prefer the rounded off way the X308 comes. It’s the XJ40 I hate with a passion.

The E Type is a car which evokes a lot of emotion for me, especially in Series 1 flavour. With it standing still it looks like it’s doing a 100mph and if I see one flying along the road with that XK engine singing it’s sweet song, it brings a lump to the throat. The E Type makes me feel very patriotic, it makes me feel proud.

Another favourite of mine is the XJ200, a car which is very much an underdog in my opinion. It’s a wonderful piece of engineering, especially when you factor in it was a car that did 220mph using a V6 engine out of a Metro 6R4 rally car, in the late 1980’s. I think it’s design was very forward thinking, when I showed a friend of mine a photo of one recently he thought it was a brand new vehicle. The sad part of the story of the XJ220 is it was a victim of it’s time, arriving just as the bubble burst. Still I’d love to own one it’s definitely in my top three dream cars cars.

The following 2 users liked this post by Stu 1986:
ericjansen (10-20-2017), fredd60 (03-20-2018)
Old 10-20-2017, 05:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by ericjansen
Maybe it was not what you said, but the way you said it

Now tell me, I have been inside, but never rode a X300, why are they considered better than the X308 (interior design apart)?
Interior Quality and Body Quality. That what looks like chrome outside IS metal. On the X308 it is plastic with a chrome finish. The interior quality is miles above that of the X308. The door cards aren't hollow. They have multiple mounting points in the middle unlike the single screw and loose clamp on the X308. The doors close with a different sense of weight behind them (no wonder with the heavy materials used). The square side markers and indicators are nicer hints to the Series I-III models.

And then comes the repairablilty... The balljoints aren't pressed in. The suspension shared nearly all components with the XJ40 but with a better shell. Parts are probably easier to source...

The X300 is just the better car - with an engine not made of plastic parts

Don't throw stones, I'd like to express that this is my opinion. But then again, the XJ-S is better than the X300 in my opinion.

My personal order:
XJ-S
Series III XJ12 SWB
X305
MK II
MK X
XK120 DHC
X308
F Type
XK (X150)
XE
XF II
X350
X Type
S Type (retro)
All the rest
XJ (X351)
E Type ( )
XK8/XKR (X100)

Last edited by Daim; 10-20-2017 at 06:01 PM.
ericjansen (10-20-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 12:48 PM

I agree with you. The X 308 was the pinnacle of the XJ-8 series. It is the perfect match of a modern car with classic Jaguar styling and well as a great ride, excellent build quality and reliability. I have 150 K miles on mine and it still drives like a dream. Never get tired of looking at the car when I walk up to it. The interior design is great without too much technology. I also feel the X350 looks like a bloated X 308. However, now when I see the X350, I think it looks better than almost all other cars on the road.

Old 10-20-2017, 12:50 PM
Don B (10-20-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 02:21 PM
Received 293 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by pdupler
Thread revival, huh? Now having an XF for a few months, I think Jag did go downhill a bit. Yes the XF is more powerful, but its more than I'll ever use. There's even MORE plastic in the cooling system. Its already at 29K miles got more squeaks and rattles than the X308 at 120K. And I am still mostly driving the X308 until I can find time to install my new Spires softer springs, dampers, custom wheels and higher profile tires. Stock XF Portfolio is like riding a skateboard on cobblestones. And while its gotten two compliments from strangers in three months, its nowhere near the ratio of compliments per mile that the X308 gets. I do love the XF Portfolio interior tho, its absolutely beautiful. And its still a Jaguar so I don't have to memorize my license plate number to ensure that I don't try to get in the wrong car at the grocery store parking lot.

May I ask what age range you're in please?

Yesterday I was at a MOD-Pizza place and it was mainly full of youngish-Hippsters. The couple next to me kept pointing towards my car (parked outside- black but filthy). I kept thinking- these two look like anti-car counter culture types- why would they be critiquing my car? I heard oe mention the rear end was like an 'olds mobile'.

When they left the establishment they went to my car and started taking pictures of my car with their phone before getting into their Jeep Wrangler and heading off. Was weird, as I didn't expect a 17 year old car, with a style that dates back further to illicit this kind of reaction from what appeared to be not particularly car focused folks...

Old 10-20-2017, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Count Iblis
May I ask what age range you're in please?
Coming up on the big five-oh soon. I remember giving my older brother a hard time when he bought a Buick sedan at age 38. I just didn't understand. Then I wasn't much older than that when I too had to have spinal surgery and decided it was time for a luxury car. I still have a Toyota Supra and a Corvette and a pickup truck, but I wouldn't want to drive them on a daily basis anymore. Trucks are merely "useful" and sports cars are fun for a weekend joyride on CAREFULLY CHOSEN streets, but they're rather unpleasant when driven for an extended length on our typical heavily deteriorated roadways. Once you've driven an X308, it really spoils you for anything else. It may have a few technical faults, but with the comfort, power and visibility its just about as perfect a daily driver as you can get.

Old 10-20-2017, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X308

I just bought a '99 XJ8 to replace my '88 XJ6 that was stolen. Of course, it is a completely subjective opinion, but it is interesting to see that so many Jag enthusiasts think highly of the X308. I also think it is one of the most beautiful cars ever produced. It is actually fun to wash, running your hands over all those soapy curves, And it's funny how people react to it as if it were a super expensive car.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,359 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Jaguar up until when Ford sold ownership to Tata was an evolution design ethos, not revolution - they've always had really good engineers to design and develop chassis and suspension based on thousands of hours pounding round MIRA....we curse it when the knocks and clunks appear but when 100% they have their own unique ride - a subtle, taught but comfortable and compliant way of going about business...and that's all models (apart from S & X types lol!) the one thing that shook me the first time I drove a late model 308 XJR was the tiny, light inputs in steering and braking - my Grannie could have blasted round in it!

I see the XJS compared to the 308 saloon, when it should be compared to the XK8, simple reason being both are Coupes and share chassis along with the Aston DB7. It also had a revised XJ40 rear end = evolution, being better than the previous iteration.
Of the XJS I've owned, worked on and driven all models, the ones that stand out are the XJR-S, I remember dropping a girlfriend back to her family home one evening, her father was watering his roses, when she was safely inside he asked me to 'light it up' being a petrolhead himself.....I'd been playing with this car, machined throttle bodies, Zytek remapped by AJ6 etc... dabbed it onto it's front brakes then hit the gas, it went through the gears stood still until I hit 100mph then I let off the brakes and drove out the epic cloud of tire smoke, thumbs up all round A real drivers car, I'm very fond of the XJS but it has 2 seats Emissions crippled the V12, when I drove a 4lt XJS and found near identical performance for way better economy I felt sad, and even more so when I drove an AJ34 X100 XKR, things had definitely evolved - one thing they share is the driving experience, which is a different thing to the saloons of each era.
If I could own another XJS it would be either a Lister or TWR V12 variant, they're how they should be, outboard disc rear ends and very tweakable and manual, no 4 speed slushy auto.

Stu 1986 (10-23-2017)

Quick Reply: X 308 - Best Jaguar ever?