XK / XKR ( X150 ) 2006 - 2014

3D Printed J-Gate Chrome Surround

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 6,378 Likes on 3,495 Posts
Default Black or white? Chrome just the top?

I think an issue is durability of the chrome process, notably along the inside edges where it appears that peeling occurs due to friction from repeatedly moving the shift lever. What do you think about making the prototype in black and just chroming the top surface? The shift lever could move without damaging the black plastic inside edges, which wouldn't be noticeable and would match the rest of the black surround assembly.

Old 11-08-2017, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 5,496 Likes on 3,234 Posts

Or again, stick an old plastic piece in a 1:1 CNC machine, give it two hours, and behold your nice shiny aluminum one.
Well, it may need to be flipped once...

Old 11-08-2017, 05:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,384 Likes on 1,609 Posts

We can machine this on our CNC
The issue is you need to finish that part- and you are back to square 1

Also many plastic parts rely on flexibility for assembly.

The easiest thing you can do is:
1. have it re-chromed- it will last as long as your original part, maybe longer.
2. Put a carbon-fiber wrap on it, which will remain scratch-free for 3 years.
3. Cover it with leather (thin skived)

Basically you need a material that will hold up to abrasion.

Old 11-08-2017, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member

How much is the replacement part?

Old 11-08-2017, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 970 Likes on 654 Posts

Originally Posted by Queen and Country
How much is the replacement part?
https://www.jaguarlandroverrenoparts...r-console-scat

@ $700

Since you've played this game you know CNC's gonna be a bear to hold rigid enough to get a good finish and also going to have troubles on the inside corners. Small diameter tool for corners requires smaller step overs and the finish is still going to look like crap at .010". I could probably make the part at my house but it's way too labor intensive to finish and I'm pretty sure I could polish it well. Small parts suck, small flimsy parts even worse.

Maybe rough it and wire EDM the last couple thousandths. I've never played with one so I don't know how well the tool would stand up to repeat parts. I can only imagine the cycle time is going to be forever.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Default The Part the Factory Forgot

Originally Posted by Stuart S
... Unfortunately, I couldn't find a separate replacement part just for that chrome J trim, and the only OEM replacement part is the entire surround, which is very expensive ...
$700 to fix this small piece of trim is beyond "very expensive "; it's ridiculous.

There's a business case to be made for an affordable overlay, since every 4.2L X150 will need one eventually. The worldwide market is huge. I'm surprised that we haven't heard from any Forum sponsors that sell parts.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:12 AM
Received 421 Likes on 205 Posts

$700 to fix this small piece of trim is beyond "very expensive "; it's ridiculous.

There's a business case to be made for an affordable overlay, since every 4.2L X150 will need one eventually. The worldwide market is huge. I'm surprised that we haven't heard from any Forum sponsors that sell parts.
I was in touch with a vendor on eBay (solar_signa) that was planning to manufacture an aluminum (aluminium for our British brethren) overlay, but my last contact with him was in late August, as shown below:
Hi Kurt,

I wanted to let you know we have not forgot about the new model but are experiencing problems with our supplier. We have found an alternative solution but it is not an immediate one.

Best regards
Malcolm
He previously manufactured an overlay for the XK8 model (a true "J" gate, whereas ours is more of an "L" gate, IMO) and I'll bring it back to the board if I hear back from him again. In the meantime, full steam ahead on any other solutions to this known issue.

FWIW, I broke down and bought a used shifter assembly on eBay for $300 and swapped it out. The used ones that are cosmetically perfect are becoming as scarce as hen's teeth out there due to the aging of our vehicles.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

You cant make anything as good as the OEM for even twice the price.
If you count your time, may be 4 times the price.

Try making a .05cent coke can, it will shock you it cost thousands to manufacturer.

Consider re-plating. It could be turned into a repeatable opportunity.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Ranchero50
https://www.jaguarlandroverrenoparts...r-console-scat

@ $700

Since you've played this game you know CNC's gonna be a bear to hold rigid enough to get a good finish and also going to have troubles on the inside corners. Small diameter tool for corners requires smaller step overs and the finish is still going to look like crap at .010". I could probably make the part at my house but it's way too labor intensive to finish and I'm pretty sure I could polish it well. Small parts suck, small flimsy parts even worse.

Maybe rough it and wire EDM the last couple thousandths. I've never played with one so I don't know how well the tool would stand up to repeat parts. I can only imagine the cycle time is going to be forever.
After you get the tooling marks out by hand, you still have to anodize or plate the material or paint, all of which will eat your lunch many times over.
Polished or brushed aluminum will look worse than the part you are taking out withing weeks.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 5,496 Likes on 3,234 Posts

^^^ Clown

Old 11-09-2017, 01:35 PM
Veteran Member

Keep in mind what has happened- the material hasnt failed, its still perfect.
The finish has failed. And that is one of the toughest finishes around.
Here is a company that will refinish for you.
Plastic Chrome Plating & Electroplating Services | Classic Chrome Plating

but you still have the screen printing to deal with for the lettering.
Maybe they can mask??
See how inexpensive and risk free that $700 is looking.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,213 Likes on 918 Posts

If it were me, I would take several photos of the issue(s) involving the shift gate and send them to Plastic Chrome & Plating asking if they have ever had any experience dealing with the gate. Or, better than that why not give them a call first?

Old 11-09-2017, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 284 Likes on 171 Posts

Has anyone tried or even considered a touch up with chrome nail polish? (See "Dashing Diva" in the pic.) Or even a liquid metal product such as J-B Weld?

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (11-10-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 08:42 PM
Veteran Member

Perhaps this could also be tried...I'll wait for others to experiment.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member

Or perhaps a chrome wrap of the part...

The following users liked this post:
Cee Jay (11-10-2017)
Old 11-10-2017, 07:44 AM

A quick follow-up on my post from yesterday, which prompted me to send a follow-up note to Malcolm at "solar_signa" on eBay regarding the status of his initiative. I received the following response, along with a photo of his prototype

"Hi Kurt,

We've managed to obtain a first prototype but we still need to find the right double sided tape to hold the plate to the original piece. We also need to fabricate the mold that will shape the plate.

Here is a preview. Feel free to comment.

Thank you
Malcolm"

Thoughts?

Old 11-10-2017, 07:59 AM
Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

I wish you guys had never started this thread, because yesterday I looked at mine and see a spot where the chrome is coming off. I would probably never have noticed it before, but now I can't not see it.

Old 11-10-2017, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by LoudHogRider
A quick follow-up on my post from yesterday, which prompted me to send a follow-up note to Malcolm at "solar_signa" on eBay regarding the status of his initiative. I received the following response, along with a photo of his prototype

"Hi Kurt,

We've managed to obtain a first prototype but we still need to find the right double sided tape to hold the plate to the original piece. We also need to fabricate the mold that will shape the plate.

Here is a preview. Feel free to comment.

Thank you
Malcolm"

Thoughts?
It's not what I had in mind.

But it works if you have this problem:

Last edited by Stuart S; 11-10-2017 at 09:26 AM.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 970 Likes on 654 Posts

Dashing Diva for the win.

Old 11-10-2017, 03:47 PM

It's not what I had in mind.

But it works if you have this problem:

Agreed. I made the "rookie" mistake of trying to correct my peeling chrome by re-touching the chrome ring with chrome paint. Because I'm "smart", I taped around the chrome ring to make sure none of that got on the black part. It actually looked good ... until I pulled up the tape, and the black paint with it, including the backlight shifter points. Painting over it (with black paint) made it appear better, but I lost that backlighting frame of reference (not an issue for me, but for the Mrs. or other/future drivers, it would be).

The other reason I think the entire overlay might make a better solution here is the scarcity of cosmetically pristine used shifter assemblies. I passed on close to a dozen of them via eBay and other after-market sites as they either had something wrong with the paint or the chrome ring, but were in good working mechanical condition. It wound up costing me $300 plus an hour of my time to swap assemblies for what amounted to a cosmetic issue.

Malcolm's overlay piece might be a bit 'futuristic' for some, but it addresses multiple problems for what will likely be a fraction of the cost. My $0.02 worth on his design.

The following 2 users liked this post by LoudHogRider:
ralphwg (11-10-2017), Stuart S (11-10-2017)

Quick Reply: 3D Printed J-Gate Chrome Surround