XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Driver's side door didn't want to open

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 319 Likes on 192 Posts
Default Driver's side door didn't want to open

My car is a 2002 xj sport. Got back home, turned the car off. Pulled the door handle, and it wasn't opening the door. Pulled the handle several times, and didn't open. Put the key in the ON position to roll the window down, to see if I could open it by pulling the outside handle. Nope, didn't work either.

So I got out through the passenger side. Pulled the handle and I was able to get out. Locked the doors using the fob, and I could hear the locks lock. Unlocked them with the fob, and driver door still wasn't opening. So I unlocked it using the key. It unlocked the driver door. Is that a sign I'll need to replace the actuator? Also, when I unlocked it using the key slot, the windows went down this much on all doors.

Old 11-24-2017, 10:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,795 Likes on 1,317 Posts

A hard reset may take care of the window issue. Take a look at these pics regarding the rods in the door. You can get your door card off without the door open, but it isn't fun. Though the item that seems to be your issue is the actual latching pin mechanism that the interior and exterior handles actuate. Unfortunately until you remove the door card, you won't know for sure.

The following users liked this post:
Z07Brandon (11-27-2017)
Old 11-24-2017, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,386 Likes on 1,090 Posts

A " Hard Reset " may straighten everything out . But in case you can test and run with a 9 volt battery ( I assume ) the locking actuator electrically without pulling the door trim off . First look at Fuse # 2 / 15 amp at the RH heelboard fuse box , labeled as the square 29 on the print . If you don't see anything wrong with the fuse swap the door lock relay in the LH heelboard fuse box with one in the same area ensuring they have the same part number .

The door lock actuators do fail mechanically other then electrically .

Editing

Attached Thumbnails Driver's side door didn't want to open-x308-door-locks-untitled.png   Driver's side door didn't want to open-x308-door-lock-untitled.png   Driver's side door didn't want to open-x308-door-lock-relaysuntitled.png  

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 11-24-2017 at 11:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Z07Brandon (11-27-2017)
Old 11-27-2017, 09:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 319 Likes on 192 Posts

You guys rock! It has been doing fine since then. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. With that said, oil change coming next week.