XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

XJR100 road trip

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 08:02 AM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default XJR100 road trip

Tomorrow morning I embark on a flight from Columbus, OH to Orlando, FL to personally inspect and hopefully purchase a 2002 XJR100. If everything pans out I'll be driving it ~1000 miles back to Columbus over two days (~500miles/day).

What could possibly go wrong - LOL?!?

I'm very familiar with the typical pitfalls of X308s and feel I've performed as much "remote" due diligence as possible prior to actually seeing the car in person. The seller has been very helpful and forthcoming about any issues with the car and has even taken the car to a local Jaguar repair shop for me.

I realized that ANYTHING can happen with a used car (120k miles) on a lengthy road trip, but listed below are the things I've done to hopefully curtail any issues along the way.
  • The car has been inspected by the Jaguar shop and I spoke with the shop owner at length about any issues. Everything revealed by the shop owner mimics the issues reported by the owner, which mainly revolve around bushings that need replaced. He was unwilling to check the timing chain tensioners without also replacing all gaskets/etc. that may be disturbed as a part of the inspection ($600). Fear of this unknown has me somewhat concerned but the build date of the car is well beyond the date where the factory supposedly installed improved timing components.
  • The car has been serviced by the Jaguar shop - oil/filter change, new fuel filter, trans level check, diff level check, hose/belt check, etc.
  • I had a local 'car guy' friend meet with the owner and visually inspect and drive the car on my behalf. His findings were all positive.
  • Title, bill of sale, license tags, insurance, etc. are all in order.
  • I have AAA in case of a breakdown/flat/etc. (No, not Alcoholics Anonymous, but AAA the roadside service - although if it does breakdown a drink or two may not hurt ).
  • I'm bringing my OBDII reader along to keep a live eye on engine temps, oil pressure, etc.
  • Before leaving Orlando, I plan on picking up a decent ratchet/socket tool kit and some basic hand tools, as well as a couple gallons of water and a couple quarts of oil. I'm bringing a new drive/accessory belt and a new supercharger belt with me.
I figured it certainly couldn't hurt to ask my fellow Jaguar aficionados if I've forgotten anything important. So, any thoughts (other than you must be nuts)?

Thanks,
Dan

Old 12-01-2017, 08:13 AM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
Default things to pack...

1000 miles of highway driving shouldn't stress the old girl. As for the chains it makes sense to take it easy from an acceleration standpoint until you can have a look yourself.
I assume when you say a couple gallons of water you mean coolant, Ohio has got to be almost as cold as we are here in upstate NY so the last thing you want is a slushy water jacket. You might want that shop to take the pressure off the serpentine belt and verify that the tensioner idler is spinning without signs of a worn bearing. Having that lock and fail seems like the surest way to cause lots of trouble given how quickly things progress when you're doing 80 mph to keep up with NC traffic.
Good luck!

Old 12-01-2017, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by dwgates
1000 miles of highway driving shouldn't stress the old girl. As for the chains it makes sense to take it easy from an acceleration standpoint until you can have a look yourself.
I assume when you say a couple gallons of water you mean coolant, Ohio has got to be almost as cold as we are here in upstate NY so the last thing you want is a slushy water jacket. You might want that shop to take the pressure off the serpentine belt and verify that the tensioner idler is spinning without signs of a worn bearing. Having that lock and fail seems like the surest way to cause lots of trouble given how quickly things progress when you're doing 80 mph to keep up with NC traffic.
Good luck!
Thanks. Yes, I'll definitely refrain from unnecessary acceleration (although it will be difficult). Coolant, yes, not water. The car is no longer at the shop but I'll see if the tensioner can be purchased at FLAPS and pick up one while in Orlando just in case.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts

I know you are excited but of course you should be willing to say “no” to the car if it’s not as promised. I picked out an XJR in Palm Peach once and had the cashiers check in hand. I had a local friend test drive it and a local mechanic check it out. I can’t tell you how disappointed I was when I saw/drove it. The buyer lied about almost everything and didn’t have the service records he indicated he had. The work he said was done, clearly was not. I was furious that I drove 700 miles for nothing. Well, I did visit some old friends.

It’s likely your experience will be better, but don’t let the excitement cause a bad decision. I actually considered buying it anyway just because I was so looking forward to driving an XJR back to N.C.! I managed to get ahold of myself and walk away though.

Old 12-01-2017, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by harvest14
I know you are excited but of course you should be willing to say “no” to the car if it’s not as promised.
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Driving all that way only to turn around and come back empty handed sucks. I've been there done that as well.

I'll definitely do a thorough personal inspection/drive before any money changes hands. If it isn't what I'm looking for, then I'll have a nice dinner in Orlando and fly back the next day.

Old 12-01-2017, 12:28 PM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

In my experience, it never hurts to bring spare belts. That was going to be my suggestion. Additionally, I wouldn't remotely worry about the tensioners in these cars, given the build date. Bring a nice jacket of CDs and enjoy the drive. Also, take pics

Last edited by KidRock'n; 12-01-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 474 Likes on 355 Posts

If the car has been as well looked after as you've indicated and the mechanics are all in good order then I'd not be worried. I'd happily jump into my 02 Sport now and drive to Italy with total confidence, these cars like to stretch their legs.

I'm looking forward to seeing photos of both the car and your drive home.

Old 12-01-2017, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,363 Likes on 1,072 Posts

As the gents above have suggested, it should be a smooth trip, the engines fitted to the 100's are AJ27S with all the 4.2 upgrades less the stroked crank and rods - meaning oil pump and pickup - timing chain tensioners, guides and morse chain are fitted. The easy way to check it is by looking at the engine number. Top cars, enjoy

Old 12-02-2017, 08:05 PM

Well, eight hours of driving time in the books (1/2 way home) and no issues other than a loose leaper. The car is running great and averaging 21mpg at 75-80mph. The CATS suspension is definitely a lot more firm than my Vanden Plas but it handles the corners MUCH better. Hopefully tomorrows 8 hours are equally as uneventful.

​​

The following users liked this post:
Sean B (12-03-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,353 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by dhardison
Well, eight hours of driving time in the books (1/2 way home) and no issues other than a loose leaper. The car is running great and averaging 21mpg at 75-80mph. The CATS suspension is definitely a lot more firm than my Vanden Plas but it handles the corners MUCH better.
Congratulations on the purchase, they are beautiful machines.
Surely will read more about this soon .

Old 12-03-2017, 03:54 AM
Veteran Member

no issues other than a loose leaper. ​​
The best way to deal with that is to get rid of it. The leaper mascots don't look quite right on the X308 IMO and especially out of place on a serious sports saloon like the XJR.

Car looks great, CATS suspension really does make a difference. If you drive hard enough you can actually feel it working.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
The best way to deal with that is to get rid of it. The leaper mascots don't look quite right on the X308 IMO and especially out of place on a serious sports saloon like the XJR.
Heresy, Stu!

In all seriousness though m8, there are several ways to get that leaper to stay in place. I may or may not know a guy who used Permatex Cold Weld on the leaper of his '01 XJR...200+ km/h could not make it budge.. *whistles innocently*

Good luck on the rest of your drive! Your new girl looks just like mine! Just out of curiosity, which brand of tires are you running on there and how do you like them on the highway?

Old 12-03-2017, 04:56 PM

After getting some sleep in a cheap hotel, I made it the final 8 hours and all the way home without any issues today. I waited until I was a few miles from home to put her in sport mode, turn off traction control and let her eat from a dead stop. WOW what a great performer and I just can't get enough of that supercharger whine!

KidRock'n, the tires that came on the car are "Barum Bravuris 3HM". I've never heard of them but I understand they're a mid-level tire made by Continental. They performed very well in the WV mountain twisties and were decently quiet. The have a 420 treadwear but feel much softer to the touch and I could hear them kicking up sand/dirt in parking lots each time I stopped for fuel.

Speaking of fuel, I averaged 21mpg and 71mph for the 1000 mile trip. Speaking of speed,,,,,, one of West Virginia's finest stopped me after exiting a toll booth for 77mph in a 60mph zone. Luckily the officer was a friendly 'car guy' and was more interested in talking about the Jag than about my infraction and only issued me a warning. After that, I slowed down a bit deciding not to push my luck.

The following 2 users liked this post by dhardison:
KidRock'n (12-04-2017), Scotlad (12-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 10:55 PM
Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts

Well, eight hours of driving time in the books (1/2 way home) and no issues other than a loose leaper. The car is running great and averaging 21mpg at 75-80mph. The CATS suspension is definitely a lot more firm than my Vanden Plas but it handles the corners MUCH better. Hopefully tomorrows 8 hours are equally as uneventful.

​​

I don't believe you actually bought a XJR100. I've never seen 21mpg out of my 03 XJR no matter how slow I drove the thirsty b$tch! Seriously, that is 4mpg better than I have ever seen! Congrats and send me your mpg, my wife might not hate me as much if I can get that number up.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by TreVoRTasmin
I don't believe you actually bought a XJR100. I've never seen 21mpg out of my 03 XJR no matter how slow I drove the thirsty b$tch! Seriously, that is 4mpg better than I have ever seen! Congrats and send me your mpg, my wife might not hate me as much if I can get that number up.
Trevor, while 21mpg is admittedly quite good for these cars, I regularly get 19mpg out of mine on the highway, and it admittedly could use a thorough tune-up. 21 should not be out of the realm of possibility at all!

Old 12-04-2017, 08:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 723 Likes on 556 Posts

My XJR-100 has a stage II kit fitted and cold air kit and regularly gets 21+ on the highway. Careful w/track off and stomping on it as the rear diff are the weak link on these cars. I tend to slightly feather mine from a dead stop before hammering the throttle down.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:50 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Its snowing in texas

Old 12-09-2017, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations. I don't think I've seen 21 mpg too often, mostly because I can't keep my stupid foot out of it. Glad you got off with a warning; I've found the "gangster Jag" to be a massive conversation starter, especially among friendly LEOs. Enjoy! She's a beaut.

Old 12-10-2017, 11:44 AM
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Every time I see one of these XJR 100s I kick myself for not buying that 27,000 mile example that was for sale out in California awhile back. I was on my way back from Disneyland and the wife said "For gods sake just buy it!", but I already had a nice XJR and it seemed silly to buy a second one (especially given that black-on-black doesn't do well in the desert). I certainly love my Quartz XJR, but man... there's something special about black.

It doesn't help that my first XJR was black-on-black... and that it met an untimely end just a handful of days after I bought it.

(someone stepped in front of a bus as a line of car started moving and caused a pileup - I got sandwiched from behind and pushed into the person in front of me)

Anyway, safe driving on the rest of your trip home!

Last edited by xjrmageddon; 12-10-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-10-2017, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by KidRock'n
Heresy, Stu!
Here in the UK they were not standard equipment, not fitted for safety reasons. Which is why I was surprised they were fitted in the USA where California legislation is so tough.

I'm glad you got your car seems to be as good as you were hoping, it's a very special machine. I hope it gives you years of pleasure.